Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:50 PM

57 posts, read 309,105 times

Advertisements

Howell, Jackson, Brick or Toms River are great choices for ex-new Yorkers. Good schools, low crime and people who speak your language. 300 grand is a starter house these days but they are coming down. Property taxes are what they are and they are not coming down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 03:25 PM

204 posts, read 772,261 times
Having lived in Lacey-Lanoka Harbor-for 34 years, I would recommend it over any adjoining towns. Yes it has grown and traffic in summers can be a nightmare on Rt 9 but if you know back roads you're fine. About the Italian Catholic thing-that's not true. Diversity in the schools-well there are now a lot of Mexicans.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 PM

37 posts, read 54,726 times
Check out Lanoka harbor side of Lacey( 08734), minutes to Tomsriver, from exit 77 and rt.9 thru Bayville or plenty of backroads...

Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM

91 posts, read 475,911 times
Default Be ptient in this market.

Sit on the fence for a little while. The housing market up there is stagnant.
Those that really have to sell will eventually lower their prices.
All I hear from my mortgage broker friend is sellers aren't making any money on their sale. I'd hate to have to sell my house up there nowadays.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:26 PM

15 posts, read 90,395 times
Default Ocean County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hello everybody!

We are originally from Long Island and moved to Vegas 10 years ago, we always wanted to move back to the east coast and now that we have children we are seriously looking into a possible move to Ocean County NJ. Las Vegas is definitely not the place to raise a family, plus all of our family is back east anyway, some in NJ, NY & Pa.

We were wondering if anybody reading this could help us with as much info as possible. We are currently looking into the areas of Jackson, Howell , Toms River and around there. We want to be within a 20-30 min ride of Toms River.

Now we did hear that right now its a huge buyers market in NJ, but in reality do you think we will be able to find a 3-4 bed home with a basement in a clean safe area to raise a family in the 250-310,000 range? And if homes are indeed dropping in price do you this near an end? Or do you see the homes continuing to drop?

All the following info would be great, schools, hospitals, employment, crime areas, tax info, areas to avoid?

Can you send some town names my way that you feel we should consider that are within 30 min's of Toms River?

And Can you please let us know what to expect in property taxes on a 300,000 home? Some have told me as low as $3000 and some said as high as $8000.

I started another thread similar to this but just on Toms River, but we actually could use info on any area that is safe to raise a family within that distance of 30 min's of Toms River.

Thank you
Hello. I grew up in Little Egg Harbor (Mystic Island) and went to school and graduated in Tuckerton. I loved it and miss living there. It is a great place to live, except for the summer when the WEBS (Week End BastardS) are there. They think they own the town. The schools are good and if you want to work for a ship builder, Viking Yacht is good to work for. I don't know about buying a house, but I do know that renting is wxpensive there and that is if you can find long term rentals.

Good Luck.

AngelicHali07

Old 07-03-2007, 01:07 AM

72 posts, read 325,508 times
Default website

here is a good website with a lot of good info on towns:

APP.COM DataUniverse | Asbury Park Press Online

you can check out schools, crime, even location of sex offenders.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:25 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,677,291 times
Default Power plant?

Whats the story with the power plant in Lacey NJ? Has it ever caused any known problems there? How many plants are there? And where in Lacey is the power plant?

Also how are the schools in Lacey? Compared to lets say Toms River, Brick?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
Having lived in Lacey-Lanoka Harbor-for 34 years, I would recommend it over any adjoining towns. Yes it has grown and traffic in summers can be a nightmare on Rt 9 but if you know back roads you're fine. About the Italian Catholic thing-that's not true. Diversity in the schools-well there are now a lot of Mexicans.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:31 PM

37 posts, read 54,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Whats the story with the power plant in Lacey NJ? Has it ever caused any known problems there? How many plants are there? And where in Lacey is the power plant?

Also how are the schools in Lacey? Compared to lets say Toms River, Brick?

Thanks
Check out my thread ' lanoka harbor, new jersey', there you will find some more opinions on the area and also knowledge on the power plant.
The power plant is located on the south end of the forked river side off route 9 before Waretown.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 PM

91 posts, read 475,911 times
Default Power plant opinion

Prior to moving to GA, we looked down in the Forked River area. They have some nice little homes there. We took a tour of a nice (but small) house.
We spent a good 45 mins talking to the seller FSBO. We had that feeling you get when you think you found the "one".
Well, we jump back on the major road through town. Forget what rt. it is.
We head south to a good little burger joint on the side of the road.
BOOM! Not but 1/4 mile down the road there's security fences all over, signs saying this and that. I look beyond the fence and I can't believe what I see.
It's the Oyster Creek Power Plant.
I say Wow. That thing is real close to the potential house we are looking at.
I didn't really know the location of it. I had lived in Jersey for 28+ years. Never came across it. It was always down there in South Jersey somewhere.

I got home that evening and did a lot of research.
My opinion was that it is a reactor that is past it's intended lifespan.
It was/has not been precedented to be in use for this extended amount of time.
The risk was too much for me and my family. We passed.
There were no particular events that proved to be a danger to us, but I didn't like that fact that there were no reactors still active as long as Oyster was.
The hot water leaks were of no real danger to us, just the boiled fish in the canal.
The question you have to ask yourself is, Do I really have to live here, next to this reactor? There are hundreds and hundreds of homes in the towns near there.
People would be the devils advocate to me.
If that reactor goes half of Jersey is finished. I guess. Who knows.
I say shut the thing down. It's old.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 18,190 times
I just moved from Ocean County two years ago and have family there. You can get to TR in 30 minutes (20 if you are in labor!) from Little Egg Harbor. Nice schools (we sure do miss the schools!). Good area to raise a family. Don't let people tell you it is "backward" or whatever...the majority of the populationj is now transplants from up north and LI, Staten Island, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey