Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Mayors and council members shake in their boots and are afraid to rock the boat when it comes to the police department. Usually, the police chief in town is more well-known and from a political standpoint, has more influence in the community than the elected mayor. When negotiation time comes, the PBA usually gets what it wants. The only thing that has thrown a monkey wrench into any of this has been the cap, which has forced the union to negotiate.

Left up to spineless local governing bodies, the raises will keep on coming and the sweetheart benefits packages, etc. will continue. I wouldn't mind seeing some state-mandated pay scale to trump all of this crap, much like the proposal to limit/standardize school administrator pay.

Police officers are entitled to earn a living wage, but I can't see how patrolling the mean streets of Point Pleasant is worth $96K after six years (just an example I know off the top of my head).
Until one gets killed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
At least one important difference is that with the private sector, the customers are paying voluntarily. If they get too bloated, then they can get their lunch eaten by someone else who can provide better products and services at a lower price because they're not carrying as much baggage.

I suspect it's generally easier to "hide" in large companies, though ultimately, the large companies will die if they develop a culture of complacency (US big auto, anyone ?)

Among other things, one aspect of the non-voluntary aspect of the payment structure means that wages can be set well above the market clearing level (especially if there's a powerful union involved!) which means that even if the "nepotism hires" are doing a perfectly good job, their job is payed much better than it would be if wages were more appropriate.
i think this is true to a point, but often not to the extent that most people who make this argument try to claim. i have multiple friends and family in construction management. they'll complain about union workers in some regards, but they'll also tell you point blank that you aren't going to build a building with non-union workers and pass inspections (without the corruption involved) because the work is not as good. some unions obviously overstep their bounderies and abuse the power they've gained.

but, if unions lead to higher wages, couldn't it conversely be argued that private jobs with no unions lead to lower wages? so across the board i guess we all even out! hehehe

Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My wife's father works for a large law firm (400 lawyers), that specializes in corporate law. Being related to a partner immediately disqualifies you from working there. I know that not all corporations do this, but there are many that do.
many corporations just won't let you report to a family member. that's what most HR policies are that i've seen (i've seen a lot due to my old job). plus, in a field like law, often they'll get their kid and internship at another firm through a connection, and the reverse favor in return.

i don't really see a huge problem with this. it's how the world works. i just see a problem with people pointing it out as an issue in public jobs as if it doesn't happen in private.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I know for sure unskilled labor but yet they scream about cops, firemen and rank & file teacher salaries!!! How much skill does it take to collect money and maybe have to make change???

I don't begrudge the toll collectors, you need that kind of salary to live in NJ but WHY does the SL always single out teachers & cops....
seems like a lot for sure and you're right. why single out certain professions? i don't know what a toll collector should be paid, but that's a dieing job isn't it? if more people had EZPASS, less toll collectors would be needed. it's a transfer of skills from collecting tolls to servicing customer accounts at EZ Pass

Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 AM

467 posts, read 1,520,117 times
Why are cops and teachers singled out? Because there are a lot of them, so they make up a large portion of public spending, especially for pensions and other benefits.

Someone has to pay for this - that's all of us non-public employees.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,660,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
Why are cops and teachers singled out? Because there are a lot of them, so they make up a large portion of public spending, especially for pensions and other benefits.

There are also many othe public workers from the receptionist at your town hall, sanitation workers, judges, town workers they all add to the overall picture.

We in NJ have grown accustomed to decent schools and safe towns, that doesn't come free....do i think we can & should consolidate...absolutely but that isn't happening over night

Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post

you do realize public employees pay taxes too right?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
There are also many othe public workers from the receptionist at your town hall, sanitation workers, judges, town workers they all add to the overall picture.

We in NJ have grown accustomed to decent schools and safe towns, that doesn't come free....do i think we can & should consolidate...absolutely but that isn't happening over night
the article called it out just as you have. do we want safe towns and a great public school system? if so, you gotta show the money. if you want to reduce spending, you have to acknowledge that safety will drop and schools will decline.

is there waste? of course. but NJ has a lot of great services. it's on us, the voters, to start chipping away at the waste without over reacting and reducing our great services!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 PM

249 posts, read 881,095 times
I thought this was old news. Keep beating the dead horse and paying high taxes.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,747,121 times
Consolidate schools. That's a no brainer to reduce some of the $ problems of smaller towns. Cut out some of the social programs and make people support themselves. I'm not talking about people that have worked all their lives and have fallen on tough times (laid off, company folded, etc.). I'm talking about those that make lives out of it.

All these liberal feel good programs need a closer look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey