U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:39 PM

13 posts, read 64,487 times

Advertisements

could you please tell me about your experience
when the child was born? which hospital/county? how long it takes to get his/her birth certificate?
any advise on particular hospital or area within NJ state where the birth certificates can be issued faster?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 PM

13 posts, read 64,487 times
Default any clue?

????

Old 09-21-2010, 08:33 PM

5,667 posts, read 15,015,212 times
In all my experiences the town or city that the hospital is located in issues the certificate. In other words Morristown or Livingston or Newark, etc.,the municipality where the hospital is located.

As far as being in a hurry, don't know, never was in a hurry for that, but you can go back later to the town hall to get another certificate.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 AM

14,781 posts, read 39,901,668 times
The certificate is issued by the town where the hospital is located through their clerks office. After the baby is born you will fill out a lot of paperwork in the hopsital. One of those forms is the application for a birth certificate. Once the form is filled out it generally takes 3-4 weeks until the actual certificate is available at the town clerks office. I believe the fee is around $20.

If you need something sooner than that, I would ask at the hospital or the county clerks office. I know for a fact that you can't travel to almost any overseas location without a passport, even as an infant. So, if travel is the reason, a birth certificate alone usually isn't enough.

Some clarification on the reason why you need it sooner would be helpful.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM

467 posts, read 1,414,317 times
Birth Certificates from hospitals are not accepted for getting passports and/or identification..you still need the one from the county in which the child was born....

Old 09-22-2010, 10:51 AM

71,383 posts, read 67,397,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umzaid View Post
could you please tell me about your experience
when the child was born? which hospital/county? how long it takes to get his/her birth certificate?
any advise on particular hospital or area within NJ state where the birth certificates can be issued faster?

I just had reason to get a copy of my daughter's birth certificate. She was born on 8/24 and the issuance date on the BC is 9/11. That was in Ridgewood, NJ, in the 1990's before the technology existed that we have now. Just FYI.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM

428 posts, read 1,014,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Birth Certificates from hospitals are not accepted for getting passports and/or identification..you still need the one from the county in which the child was born....
Yep, this is of course true. Astonishingly, it doesn't appear to be common knowledge. I know someone who presented the hospital's "certificate" for her teenager when the actual bc was required. I was floored that she hadn't ever known it wasn't the "real" one.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,174,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
A bit OT, but marriage certs are the same when it comes to identification purposes ... the only ones accepted are from the municipality. Certs from a church aren't worth the paper and ink it took to make them up.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 PM

17,579 posts, read 43,294,317 times
I can tell you that a child born in Princeton Hospital on 9/7 had the Birth Certificate ready to be picked up at Princeton Borough on 9/21.

I don't know what your motivation is, but I can only hope that this is not your deciding factor on what hospital to choose.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:44 PM

5,440 posts, read 15,842,690 times
what is the rush?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey