Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,498 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from?
Baltimore County Maryland
Why are you moving?
My family needs it's own home. Before we started our family we lived in New York, and we want to go back there and still be able to have a peaceful family life
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
I think I'll be either working in NYC or New Jersey. I work at Apple so I can pretty much transfer anywhere. My husband will need to find a job, something music related. Welcome to suggestions for that too.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? 800-1100 a month
What kind of place are you looking for ?
where looking for a modern apartment and affordable townhomes
Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?I have a husband and twins that are 14 months.
Do you need/want good public schools?
Definitely need good schooling and parks near by. We really dont want to have to move again. And if we do, I would want it to be nearby.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
We are looking for a cultured up and coming neighborhood. with a lot to do near by, preferably in walking distance to cut down on transportation cost. I'd like to meet a lot of new young families that share similar interests.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
I would like not to live in the hood. I've done growning up, and I dont want that for my kids. Its really important for me to have stylish living on a budget. Schooling is also a BIG deal, even near by private schools will be a plus. And lastly public transportation back in forths to New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 PM

4,151 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Honestly, for 800 to 1100 a month, you won't find any apartment available in a good school towns, not to mention near transportation. Since you have a twins, I would assume you need at least 2 bedroom.

I live in Cranford, and the apartments for rent that are close to the station are all asking for 1300 to 1400.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Honestly, for 800 to 1100 a month, you won't find any apartment available in a good school towns, not to mention near transportation. Since you have a twins, I would assume you need at least 2 bedroom.

I live in Cranford, and the apartments for rent that are close to the station are all asking for 1300 to 1400.
Yup. This sounds right to me.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:37 PM

551 posts, read 1,187,478 times
Well the twins are 14 months so lets bump schooling to after a couple of years of stable settlement and acquaintaince with overall area, and hubby to get a job

With the above in mind, consider renting near Jersey City Journal Square or Downtown area, $1100 will def. get you 2+ BR near JSQ; it has FREQUENT transport to NYC (Apple!) and has a VARIETY of daycares nearby

Old 09-23-2010, 07:22 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Well the twins are 14 months so lets bump schooling to after a couple of years of stable settlement and acquaintaince with overall area, and hubby to get a job

With the above in mind, consider renting near Jersey City Journal Square or Downtown area, $1100 will def. get you 2+ BR near JSQ; it has FREQUENT transport to NYC (Apple!) and has a VARIETY of daycares nearby
OK, maybe JC for $1100/month, but that doesn't fit with the OP's requirement for "stylish living". And suggesting that she takes an apartment in JC temporarily doesn't fit with the "We really dont want to have to move again" criteria.

This is why I felt that cw30000's post was accurate. I think it's going to be very difficult to impossible to find what she is seeking in NJ.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
What is the motivation behind wanting to move back to North NJ/NYC suburbs?

Very tough area to live financially. Unless it was for family reasons I dont think I would do it.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 AM

429 posts, read 931,440 times
I make a good portion of my living with music. Saying that your husband wants a job that's "music related" is awfully broad. What has he done in the past and what specifically is he interested in doing?

Old 09-24-2010, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
I make a good portion of my living with music. Saying that your husband wants a job that's "music related" is awfully broad. What has he done in the past and what specifically is he interested in doing?
He's an audio engineer and scratch DJ

Old 09-24-2010, 03:46 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,572,874 times
Generally I have to agree with the other posters that $800 - $1100 is kind of low for what you are looking for. If you were willing to "step stone" as Sonoritygenius suggested it would be much easier. I live in Weehawken and I pay $1200 for a 2BR and it is a fairly good school district, but just out of your range. But my apartment isn't very modern, most places in Jersey have been around for a long time and the ones people have renovated are commanding top dollar. Some places that might work for you is Jersey City Heights(price wise but schools are questionable), Bayonne(nice schools, but houses aren't modern and the transportation isn't the best), Union City(not very good schools, and most of it is very crowded, but you may be able to find something renovated and modern some neighborhoods are nice, and transportation is great), or Weehawken(it will take more searching around to find something in that price range, but it has the transportation and the schools you want). I wouldn't recommend Journal Square for a family tho, that is just my opinion.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 PM

429 posts, read 931,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazimendez View Post
He's an audio engineer and scratch DJ
For both of those, to get something steady in Manhattan, so he's not traveling a lot, he's going to have to spend a lot of time networking first (I'm assuming he doesn't already have a big network of Manhattan contacts, or he'd basically have things lined up already). It will probably take years to get anything approaching steady work there--it took me years to get steady, decent-paying gigs going in Manhattan as a musician/composer/arranger, too. Otherwise, it's going to be a matter of taking gigs where they're available, which will likely mean traveling, doing sound for various bands doing bar/club circuits, DJ'ing parties around Jersey, Eastern PA, etc. That takes some networking, too, but won't be as difficult as getting work in Manhattan. There's a tremendous amount of competition in Manhattan, as you can imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey