Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 05:07 PM

153 posts, read 675,538 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what towns would be best for a first time home buyer in central jersey? I work in Cranbury, so I wouldn't want to be too far away from work. I am looking to purchase a home up to $225,000. I keep hearing that there are many houses out there, but I can't seem to find too many. And I would preferably like to stay north of Cranbury, since all of my family is north of me. I don't know what towns to look in that would be in my price range. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Condo's in East Windsor, Hightstown or Princeton Meadows area would probably be your best bet.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:30 PM

I'm trying to stay away from condos if at all possible. Do you know of any affordable areas in central NJ by the Princeton area besides Trenton.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:36 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_woww View Post
I'm trying to stay away from condos if at all possible. Do you know of any affordable areas in central NJ by the Princeton area besides Trenton.
Ewing is certainly better than Trenton and actually has a few nice areas. Not horrible in taxes either, but also not the best schools.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:15 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
North Brunswick or South Brunswick you may find something, but you'll have to dig to find something $225K or less, possibly an older fixer-upper or a townhouse or condo. Then there's Old Bridge which is cheaper than both, but it depends where in OB. East Windsor is cheap too, but there are problems there.

North of the Raritan River, you can look in South Plainfield or parts of Piscataway (south of 287), which will be cheaper than the others, but that will be more of a ride to work. How far are you willing to drive?

Please don't go to Ewing. It is quickly becoming an extension of Trenton.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:33 PM

I used to drive an hour to work, but then I moved into an apartment that is 5 minutes away (I got spoiled, lol). But now my boyfriend and I are looking to buy a house so that we stop wasting money on rent. The area I grew up in is very far from his family so we are trying to stay closer to work and his family (Hunterdon county area), but I am not familiar with most of the neighborhoods over here.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:29 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
There are some towns in Somerset County that you can find a home in that price range for. It depends what you are looking for. I don't think you will get a house on any big property for that price, but you can get a nice starter home 2-3 bedroom.

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey