Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 PM

122 posts, read 377,486 times

Advertisements

Who commutes daily to Harborside Financial Plaza in Jersey City? I'm looking at a possible commute there from the New Brunswick area to there. Am I better off taking the Turnpike or the Parkway to 78? Is there a lot of traffic on the Newark Bay Extension up until 14C for Columbus?

What about straight out from 78 in Union?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 12:18 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
I used to make that commute. It can be brutal -- traffic on the extension (espeically the bridge) can back you up quite a ways and your approach won't make much difference. If it works for you, consider taking the PATH. Or if you can drive to the Liberty Science Center and take light rail in from there -- avoiding some of the traffic close to destination and saving on hefty parking costs.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
You can take the train form New Brunswick to Hoboken Terminal and then use the Light Rail to HFC.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:32 PM

If I'm able to arrive earlier - let's say I need to be at HFP by 8 or 8:30 - does that make any difference?

My job will need me to drive in since I'll be occasionally going between Jersey City and Secaucus to rack servers, and they can be pretty heavy and unwieldy, plus I'm not sure how well the colo facility in Secaucus is served by public transit.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:39 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
Depends where it is , there are a few bus lines that serve the industrial areas and Secaucus JCT drops you off there to.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPByron View Post
If I'm able to arrive earlier - let's say I need to be at HFP by 8 or 8:30 - does that make any difference?
That's not early enough to make a difference. Probably need to be an hour earlier to really have a lot less traffic.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,583,343 times
I would stay off the TurnPike, that road is known for backups and takes forever to get through a toll booth to get off. I would jump off any I-states either by EWR (14) or 15E of the Pike and either take the Skyway, jumping off before it gets bad or Truck 1&9. You have a ton of options on 1&9 to jump off and take local streets which you don't have on the Pike.

If the Holland Hole-in-the-wall is not too backed up you could snake over to the last street before the tolls and turn right, H'side is just a bit South, otherwise snaking across JC from truck 1&9 might be most trouble free.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Isn't 15E right where the Turnpike goes to two lanes from three in both the car and truck lanes? It seems like that'd be horrible traffic.

I think I see what you mean about Truck 1&9 being the best option - it seems less likely that truckers would have fender-benders that would back up traffic. I'm not afraid of driving around trucks, so that's a plus too. How many lanes is Truck 1/9?

Also, I normally take the Lincoln Tunnel or the train, but what about the Pulasky Skyway going into 139? Isn't that the covered roadway, and as such, completely a terrible idea?

Old 09-25-2010, 10:38 PM

15E is where the "Southern mixing bowl" is, that's where the CTB car truck bus lanes and car lanes mix and split off into 2 separate spurs of the Pike. There is no lane reduction, just a combination of lane splits. But if you are getting off, it should not matter. Coming South I would often jump off there rather than at 14, less toll booth traffic. Going North it's where US Truck 1&9 starts.

I would often take the Holland over the Lincoln since its usually less traffic, but if you are going to Harborside you don't need any of that since H'side is South of the Holland. Also you can jump off the Skyway,,using an exit, lol,, at the Broadway ramp or further up at the Tonnele Circle and head away from 1&9.

Truck 1&9 would normally have the least traffic and is fairly short where you are going. It's either 2 or 3 lanes each way, mostly 2 but usually quick.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:49 PM

Something along the lines of this:
Although this is from EWR, btw H'side isn't that far from Truck 1&9 and that is the most direct route, although feel free to take other streets. Anyway that's what I would do to avoid the Skyway and Holland traffic altogether:
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), Newark, NJ 07114 to Harborside Financial Center - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey