Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,239 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, Would like some info on the safer areas/towns around Rutgers New Brunswick. My daughter will be transfering there in January 2011 for the semester. She will live off campus. I have been checking into month to month apts. and long term stay hotels. Problem is I'm not familiar with the towns. I'd like get advice on which are safer than others. She wants to stay within 8 miles (road miles) or so of the Cook campus. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 04:50 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Before you hassle yourself with doing research on your own, I would recommend contacting the Off-Campus Student Housing Office to discuss what options they may have.

In terms of doing the research, I'd suggest looking at North Brunswick, East Brunswick, Edison, New Brunswick, and Highland Park. However, there are two issues to keep in mind. Month to month apartments are not the norm in the area. Most leases are going to be six month or one year leases. Secondly, please keep in mind that off-campus is going to entail the use of a car. There is a fair amount of construction along Route 1 which is the primary access to the campus and, frankly, it can be at best annoying and at worst harrowing to drive through the area.

Separately, there is an apartment complex behind Sears on Route 1 called Tov Manor. In the last several years, some of the maintenance issues there have led me to tell people not to consider it as a place to rent.

Hope this helps to get you started.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:28 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
Milltown is also very close to Cook Campus. However, that will require a car and I'm not certain if there are any M2M apts in that area. Does your daughter have any friends that are also going to Rutgers that would be interested in sharing an apt with her?

The rates for apts (even the cost of studios are considerably high around here...starting in the upper $800's.)

Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,956 times
Will your daughter have a car? That will play a large determination of where she can live. I agree with the areas that the folks above have said. I will tell you that as a data point, I live about five minutes away from Rutgers, off of Livingston Ave. in North Brunswick, and I am on a month to month lease - but it's a private homeowner that I am renting from. You can find them, but have to scour craigslist for it.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 AM

She will have a car. I previously checked with off campus housing. They gave me a list of apts in the area and several private homes that have a room to rent. I am not comfortable with the private home idea. All the names were men, I would not send my daughter to a private home of some unknown male. Is Somerset ok? Found an option there. Looks close to campus.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longcoolwoman View Post
She will have a car. I previously checked with off campus housing. They gave me a list of apts in the area and several private homes that have a room to rent. I am not comfortable with the private home idea. All the names were men, I would not send my daughter to a private home of some unknown male. Is Somerset ok? Found an option there. Looks close to campus.
I've heard mixed reviews about Somerset apts: some good, some bad. In general, Somerset is a nice area. Depending on where your daughter would live in Somerset, the commute can range from 8-20 mins. She would most likely take Easton Ave. into New Brunswick. However, there is a little traffic on that road, especially during the mid-day.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
I agree about the private homes with male ownership. It may be harmless, but the risk is not worth it.

As for Somerset, the area is quite wide open. I would need an address or at least a complex name to know for certain what we are talking about. Usually Easton Ave. will get you into the College Avenue Campus with little to no problem. However, in your original post, you mentioned your daughter was looking to get to the Cook Campus. While she would be able to go through New Brunswick, the traffic and construction along Geirge Street, the main street leading up to Cook Campus, during most of the day is going to add about 20 to 25 mins. onto the travel time StressedCollegeGirl noted.

There are two other options you may want to look into. The first would be Treetops (http://www.oxfordrealtygroup.com/viewapts.asp?aptid=29 - broken link) in Highland Park which has Campus Bus stops out front. If your daughter wanted to, she could take the LXc bus to College Ave and grab a EE or F bus up to Cook.

The other would be Colonial Village in East Brunswick, just off Route 18. However, I will tell you up front Route 18 in the mornings (6 AM to ~9 AM) can be jammed. If you do decide to go with this option, the quickest route is actually a couple of "back roads" into Cook Campus. These are Tices Lane and Ryders Lane.

If you don't mind, would you tell us where you are from? It would give me a better idea of what types of places may work better for your daughter and give her more at-home surroundings. Also, what is the price range you are looking at in terms of rent?

Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 PM

Thank you for all the great information. I have tentatively found her a 6 month rental furnished in Highland Park. It was thru a friend of a friend of a friend type situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey