Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:15 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza2 View Post
here's another one.

It was sarah palin who gave the quote' Obama is bush on steroids".

Dude- what planet are you in? your using a quote from sarah palin to make your point about obama ? lol

that's like quoting Lakers Kobe Bryant's comments about Boston Celtics Paul Pierce.
Dude- get real dawg. You've taken an overdose of Kool-aid. Chill dude

What happened to the 8 years of Bush spending $2 trillion on Iraq?
No big deal right ???
Bush didnt do anything wrong right? we are in this mess because of obama right?

how can anyone even objectively debate with Cw000, mike, and ilovecomp.

its a waste of time
I don't care for Bush, Beck, Palin, or any of the other political pundits you see on television (although Palin was right with the Bush on steroids comment). I thought President Bush was one of the worst presidents we've ever had. Why would you assume I don't think the spending under Bush was a big deal? The Iraq War has proven to be a complete waste of money, resources, and time. Unfortunately thousands of Americans lost their lives fighting this war. Bush and the Republicans spent like there was no tomorrow. I was glad to see them kicked out in 2006 and 2008. However the Democrats have proven to be far worse by spending even more money than the Republicans and by continuing to fund the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

As for this economic mess, yes Obama does deserve some of the blame. All he and the Democrats have done is waste billions of dollars and expand the size of government to even more unsustainable levels. But the crisis goes back even farther. Of course President Bush and the Republicans deserve blame for the increase in the national debt, but it goes deeper than that. Federal Reserve policy and government involvement in the housing market have proven to be disastrous. Some of the blame can be traced back to the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977, but President Clinton also pushed for more leniant lending measures. But let's not put the blame squarely on President Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
All these so called smart people, like Greenspan didn't know how bad it would get with all these bad loans..

I think the common people have more common sense. The so called smart people are lacking common sense. Let's elect some common people in who will bring this country back to the great nation it once was.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Let's not forget, the Glass-Steagall Act was repealed under Clinton, in his last year of office no less. This played a HUGE role in the economic collapse under Bush. Even if Bush was a good president, with the removal of the depression era safeguards, the disaster was inevitable.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
He has done a great job? Please let me know what he has done other then start fights. I am not looking to pick a fight with you but please let me know what he has accomplished.
Budget cuts will always get certain interest groups angry, the NJEA being the most obvious example. You call it picking fights, I call it reality.

His accomplishments? Well he has proven to be serious about closing the gap in the state budget by making painful, but necessary cuts. Simple fact is that the state is broke. He rebalanced Corzine's FY 2010 budget by cutting $475 million from school aid (painful, but necessary). This year's budget calls for a 7% cut in school aid, requires workers to pay for a measely 1.5% of their salary towards health care, temporary freeze of pension payouts, excluding part time workers from the pension system, and the budget calls for cutting over 1000 state jobs (less than 1% of the public workforce). Those are just a few of the well known details. Point is that he is obviously serious about putting the state's finances in order. Much of the budget is just temporary fixes. Hopefully he will follow through with essential educational and pension reforms.

While the FY 2011 budget does call for public job cuts, I do understand that Christie's education cuts have resulted in job losses, reduced hours, and some loss of educational resources. But he can't be blamed for how the towns absorbed the necessary cuts of state aid. Anyone who thought budget cuts would be painless are delusional. But there's no other way.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Budget cuts will always get certain interest groups angry, the NJEA being the most obvious example. You call it picking fights, I call it reality.

His accomplishments? Well he has proven to be serious about closing the gap in the state budget by making painful, but necessary cuts. Simple fact is that the state is broke. He rebalanced Corzine's FY 2010 budget by cutting $475 million from school aid (painful, but necessary). This year's budget calls for a 7% cut in school aid, requires workers to pay for a measely 1.5% of their salary towards health care, temporary freeze of pension payouts, excluding part time workers from the pension system, and the budget calls for cutting over 1000 state jobs (less than 1% of the public workforce). Those are just a few of the well known details. Point is that he is obviously serious about putting the state's finances in order. Much of the budget is just temporary fixes. Hopefully he will follow through with essential educational and pension reforms.

While the FY 2011 budget does call for public job cuts, I do understand that Christie's education cuts have resulted in job losses, reduced hours, and some loss of educational resources. But he can't be blamed for how the towns absorbed the necessary cuts of state aid. Anyone who thought budget cuts would be painless are delusional. But there's no other way.

Great stuff. Now what did he do to help the state? What did he do to help you? Saying he picked a fight is great but honestly what has happened as a result of this? Nothing, so I ask you again what was done to help the everyday citizen? Thanks

Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Great stuff. Now what did he do to help the state? What did he do to help you? Saying he picked a fight is great but honestly what has happened as a result of this? Nothing, so I ask you again what was done to help the everyday citizen? Thanks
Only help I'm looking for is a reduced tax burden. I would like to stay here! Which is another "accomplishment" I forgot to mention...2.5% cap on property tax increases. Of course Christie haters will blame him for a possible rise in property taxes, but that's only because some towns will refuse to absorb the cuts in state aid and refuse to consolidate services and resources.

To answer your questions, his fiscal policy and reforms will put the state on a path towards fiscal stability. Ideally this would lead to a more friendly tax and business environment. Once the budget and pension system isn't so out of control, our finances won't go bust and we wouldn't have to worry as much about scaring away businesses. Maybe then we'll actually be able to afford those tax credits and rebates that expire this year. Business and job growth will result in higher revenues for the state, but this can't be accomplished with a budget deficit, unfunded liabilities, and high taxes. There's a lot of variables involved (such as whether Christie will follow through with his proposals, state of the economy, etc.), but only time will tell how his policies will materialize.

In the long run, a stronger economy and responsible fiscal policy will benefit everyone.

I've been as clear as I can with my views. What are yours?

BTW, I never said he picked a fight. Those were your words.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Only help I'm looking for is a reduced tax burden. I would like to stay here! Which is another "accomplishment" I forgot to mention...2.5% cap on property tax increases. Of course Christie haters will blame him for a possible rise in property taxes, but that's only because some towns will refuse to absorb the cuts in state aid and refuse to consolidate services and resources.

To answer your questions, his fiscal policy and reforms will put the state on a path towards fiscal stability. Ideally this would lead to a more friendly tax and business environment. Once the budget and pension system isn't so out of control, our finances won't go bust and we wouldn't have to worry as much about scaring away businesses. Maybe then we'll actually be able to afford those tax credits and rebates that expire this year. Business and job growth will result in higher revenues for the state, but this can't be accomplished with a budget deficit, unfunded liabilities, and high taxes. There's a lot of variables involved (such as whether Christie will follow through with his proposals, state of the economy, etc.), but only time will tell how his policies will materialize.

In the long run, a stronger economy and responsible fiscal policy will benefit everyone.

I've been as clear as I can with my views. What are yours?

BTW, I never said he picked a fight. Those were your words.

Sound like a plan. Your post reminds me a lot of Obama's health care. One day in the future we will all have health insurance and one day in the future we will all save money because of Christie. Sounds like a great idea, problem is the buck stop with him. The huge municipal tax increases are on his record. Sure go ahead and spin away but the facts are what they are. By the way I am pro health insurance in the future and I imagine I would be for saving money in property taxes as well. So all is good. My biggest problem is we have a guy in the white house who is wayy left and we have a guy in NJ who all of sudden is wayyy right. I can't be too far in any direction.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 PM

I did say he picked a fight with a bunch of woman. Who exactly would be scared of him in reality? Does he scare anyone here? He wouldnt have survived one day in my neck of the woods. Then again most of you here wouldnt have either so thats not a big deal.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Sound like a plan. Your post reminds me a lot of Obama's health care. One day in the future we will all have health insurance and one day in the future we will all save money because of Christie. Sounds like a great idea, problem is the buck stop with him. The huge municipal tax increases are on his record. Sure go ahead and spin away but the facts are what they are. By the way I am pro health insurance in the future and I imagine I would be for saving money in property taxes as well. So all is good. My biggest problem is we have a guy in the white house who is wayy left and we have a guy in NJ who all of sudden is wayyy right. I can't be too far in any direction.
Only difference is that Christie is trying to scale back the government while Obama is increasing it. Two different ideologies. Excessive, bloated government budgets and spending have proven to cause more harm than good. Just look at our own state. And I'm not spinning anything. Some will unfairly blame the tax increases on Christie when it was their own town that did it.

There's a few items in the Obama health care bill that we can all agree are good. But we didn't need a 1000 page bill loaded with other crap, some of it unrelated to health care. Despite the goal of saving money in the future, Obamacare will most likely increase the cost of health care. So I'm not sure if you could compare that to Christie's policies.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I did say he picked a fight with a bunch of woman. Who exactly would be scared of him in reality? Does he scare anyone here? He wouldnt have survived one day in my neck of the woods. Then again most of you here wouldnt have either so thats not a big deal.
Easy to talk tough over a computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey