U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 35,942 times

Advertisements

My husband's office is relocating to Parsipanny and so we'll have to move out of Stamford, CT (a really nice community with great public amenities and neighborhoods). We're now looking for towns similar to Stamford in the NJ area (Morris County/Somerset/Union County) - diverse community with a large number of well-educated professionals, lots of activities for children (good parks, beaches, lakes nearby etc) and easy access to NYC (no more than 1-hour into the city, preferably on the train line).

I don't know much about the towns in this area and would appreciate any opinions regarding which towns in these counties are good as far as the schools and affordability and quality of life (safety, environment, restaurants, shopping etc). I've been reading the forums and Mountain Lakes sounds like its a great place but is also very expensive, same with Chatham. Does anyone know anything about Morristown?

My daughter is 3-years old and she's starting preschool in CT this September and I don't know how it is in NJ but it was difficult to find a good, yet affordable, preschool for her and I would hate for her to miss out an entire year of preschool if we have to move in the middle of the school year.

Thanks!

- NPGL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 01:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 13,697,395 times
Default Suggestion

You might look into Whippany or Cedar Knolls, which is next to Parsippany. Whippany has a very good school system. Park and Ride lots are in the area and it is about 35 minute ride into the city by bus from Parsippany (RT 46).

Lake areas are further north. Shore area begins at Sandy Hook.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:31 PM

62 posts, read 211,380 times
Default Morristown, etc.

Morristown, has a younger crowd, nice restaurants and less of a suburbia feel than some of the towns close to Parsippany. You can find nice homes in "Morris Township", which is outside of Morristown proper. All areas are expensive, but Mountain Lakes is very much so because of their outstanding school system. Other areas you should consider are Montville, Wayne (both north of Parsippany), Bedminster (south of Parsippany), Whippany, Cedar Knolls, Morris Plains... Nice areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npgl View Post
My husband's office is relocating to Parsipanny and so we'll have to move out of Stamford, CT (a really nice community with great public amenities and neighborhoods). We're now looking for towns similar to Stamford in the NJ area (Morris County/Somerset/Union County) - diverse community with a large number of well-educated professionals, lots of activities for children (good parks, beaches, lakes nearby etc) and easy access to NYC (no more than 1-hour into the city, preferably on the train line).

I don't know much about the towns in this area and would appreciate any opinions regarding which towns in these counties are good as far as the schools and affordability and quality of life (safety, environment, restaurants, shopping etc). I've been reading the forums and Mountain Lakes sounds like its a great place but is also very expensive, same with Chatham. Does anyone know anything about Morristown?

My daughter is 3-years old and she's starting preschool in CT this September and I don't know how it is in NJ but it was difficult to find a good, yet affordable, preschool for her and I would hate for her to miss out an entire year of preschool if we have to move in the middle of the school year.

Thanks!

- NPGL

Old 07-02-2007, 03:39 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,076,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
You might look into Whippany or Cedar Knolls, which is next to Parsippany. Whippany has a very good school system. Park and Ride lots are in the area and it is about 35 minute ride into the city by bus from Parsippany (RT 46).

Lake areas are further north. Shore area begins at Sandy Hook.
Maybe it's 35 minutes on a Sunday at 2am. During rush hour, not a chance. Plan on an hour bus ride from Parsippany to NYC.

I would throw out Boonton Township as a possibility. Slighly cheaper than Mountain Lakes with larger lots but the kids go to ML high school.

Someone also suggested Montville, which I think would also be a good choice.

There is a direct train from Denville (next town to Parsippany / Montville / Mountain Lakes / Boonton Township to NYC. That also takes an hour.

Last edited by Obrero; 07-02-2007 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-02-2007, 03:41 PM

62 posts, read 211,380 times
Default Parsippany to NYC

UKOK is correct. The commute to Manhattan from anywhere in the Morris County area is about 60 minutes. I"ve made it faster than that on a Sunday morning, but that doesn't count. Regarding mass transit, the bus lines are good and plentiful in the Montville / Parisppany / Whippany / Mountain Lakes areas and there is NJ Transit train. You'll be OK in that arena, but it will take you at least 60 minutes during rush hour.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:13 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,376,012 times
There aren't many places in NJ that I can think of that are similar to Stamford. Stamford and the nearby towns of New Rochelle & White Plains are setup very differently than most NJ towns. Most towns in NJ are much smaller and suburban than a town like Stamford. You generally won't find the higher ammount of density in downtown Stamford in NJ, with a few exceptions.

I would suggest you look into towns like Ft. Lee or Edgewater. These are the only places I can think of that have lots of newer high-rise apartment buildings like Stamford.

Jersey City/Hoboken are another option, but they're much older towns than a place like Ft. Lee.

Morristown is nice, but is far, at least an hour by train, from NYC.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 35,942 times
Default thanks

thanks for all the messages so far...i really appreciate your input. i'll look into montville and boonton as well.

another question, we'd probably want to look at purchasing something before or soon after we move there and we're considering townhouses (as opposed to single family homes) - are those commonly found in those areas?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:18 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,076,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npgl View Post
thanks for all the messages so far...i really appreciate your input. i'll look into montville and boonton as well.

another question, we'd probably want to look at purchasing something before or soon after we move there and we're considering townhouses (as opposed to single family homes) - are those commonly found in those areas?
I would caution you to be careful to only look in Boonton Township not Boonton. They share the same zip code, so it can be confusing, but they are totally different towns with different schools.

There are town house developments in Boonton Township, Mountain Lakes (1 development in each town) and Montviile (3 developments).

Old 07-04-2007, 08:06 AM

85 posts, read 206,268 times
I grew up in Stamford CT and I as well am trying to find a community in NJ that is similiar. I want to leave GA for it is not culurally what I would desire for my children. I hope to find a diverse progressive low crime community with a strong high school. Is this possible? I really wonder.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 PM

5,947 posts, read 13,697,395 times
Default Commute

You're right on the commute, but I'm an early riser and leave at 6:30 am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or