Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Very simple....you take the license plate # down and type of car..you go into work tell security or receptionist if no security and they will page will the owner of blah blah blah come to security, front desk.....water under the bridge now
People are so careless I park in east jabib in our lot where most with newer cars park so I don't have somebody dinging me.

Don't know the 0/P so can't say if they were wishing it went away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,679 times
I sure wish all these people who "would leave a note" parked at Jersey Ave with me. I have got to have been dinged two dozen times in the past 5 years, and nobody has EVER left me any kind of "note". I wonder how many folks who claim they WOULD leave a note, actually would do so if the circumstances were not hypothetical.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:02 AM

256 posts, read 398,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
I sure wish all these people who "would leave a note" parked at Jersey Ave with me. I have got to have been dinged two dozen times in the past 5 years, and nobody has EVER left me any kind of "note". I wonder how many folks who claim they WOULD leave a note, actually would do so if the circumstances were not hypothetical.
I agree. Imagine if the dinged-car owner didn't notice, drove away, and did nothing about the damaged car. Would the OP have gone out of his/her way to make sure find the damaged-car owner?

I don't know about the OP, but human nature dictates that most people would not. They would feel happy that they were able to get away with it.

Moral of the story, leave a note at the very least.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:09 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
Quote:
Street parking and specific location probably would change some actions. But really -- OP was in his own company parking lot, still new at the company -- gotta do the right thing.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:21 AM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Street parking and specific location probably would change some actions. But really -- OP was in his own company parking lot, still new at the company -- gotta do the right thing.
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm just saying it seems we have a lot more morally-straight people posting in this forum than seem to exist in the wild, judging by my own experiences.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:03 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Arguably the best post so far

Old 09-30-2010, 05:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Either leave a note or get your car the hell out of there.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
I wonder how many folks who claim they WOULD leave a note, actually would do so if the circumstances were not hypothetical.
With me, doing the ethical thing, like leaving a note, is a purely selfish act. I am a happy person knowing I haven't screwed anyone over. The subconscious can be a real *****. Even if you consciously rationalize to yourself that there is nothing wrong with damaging someone else's property and walking away, your subconscious knows the reality of the situation, and you will end up paying one way or another. Only negative feelings, self sabotage and unhappiness can result from becoming this type of person. Personally, I would rather just pay for the damage to the car. What can I say, call me selfish.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 09-30-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 08:19 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
With me, doing the ethical thing, like leaving a note, is a purely selfish act. I am a happy person knowing I haven't screwed anyone over. The subconscious can be a real *****. Even if you consciously rationalize to yourself that there is nothing wrong with damaging someone else's property and walking away, your subconscious knows the reality of the situation, and you will end up paying one way or another. Only negative feelings, self sabotage and unhappiness can result from becoming this type of person. Personally, I would rather just pay for the damage to the car. What can I say, call me selfish.
OK, Nice to see I'm not the only one who is concerned with karma and guilt. But my curiousity still stands ... I wonder how many people (what percentage), when placed in the situation where they DID damage someone else's vehicle, would NOT leave a note, rather than the ethical alternative. Also, how many of them would still leave the note if they knew there were no witnesses? My own experience, as a "dingee" is that, as humans go, there are many who talk great ethics, but there are few who follow them.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
I wonder if the people who are questioning other people about leaving a note are just feeling guilty because they no they wouldn't and it makes them feel better to believe everyone else is just as bad as them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: