Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 PM
TKD TKD started this thread

3 posts, read 14,490 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
what are the best public transit options for commuting to NYC from these places?
also, based on visiting it seems like these towns are either korean or white. am i wrong? biracial parents here, just hoping for a little more diversity. comments appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:12 PM

191 posts, read 591,094 times
tenafly probably has the most transportation options, but is more strongly a korean - white town. or maybe more korean or jewish town. closter has more busing options than demarest i believe. tenafly is definitely the wealthiest and most competitive school environment of the 3 towns. not sure about ethnic diversity, but you'll find more socioeconomic diversity in closter or demarest.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
There is a planned Light Rail line (2015) that will connect Tenafly to JC and Ferries and PATH to NYC. The Town in my opinion has some racial problems , as seen in a recent LRT meeting , when a few ppl hinted :we don't want those ppl coming into our town" Closter , and Demarest are better towns if you want diversity there White , Black and Asian.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 AM

76 posts, read 321,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There is a planned Light Rail line (2015) that will connect Tenafly to JC and Ferries and PATH to NYC. The Town in my opinion has some racial problems , as seen in a recent LRT meeting , when a few ppl hinted :we don't want those ppl coming into our town" Closter , and Demarest are better towns if you want diversity there White , Black and Asian.

Nexis, is the light rail line still in the planning stages? It would be very convenient.

OP, where in NYC are you commuting? I know there is a Coach bus line that runs down County Rd. in Demarest to Midtown. My husband works in lower Manhattan and he drives to Port Imperial in Weehawken (I think) and takes the ferry from there.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:13 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriState Traveler View Post
Nexis, is the light rail line still in the planning stages? It would be very convenient.

OP, where in NYC are you commuting? I know there is a Coach bus line that runs down County Rd. in Demarest to Midtown. My husband works in lower Manhattan and he drives to Port Imperial in Weehawken (I think) and takes the ferry from there.
Construction starts late Next year or early 2012. Eventually the line will extend all the way up into Northvale by 2019. Theres a few bus lines , but thats about it. Theres also the planned West Shore Commuter line.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:17 PM
TKD TKD started this thread

3 posts, read 14,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Construction starts late Next year or early 2012. Eventually the line will extend all the way up into Northvale by 2019. Theres a few bus lines , but thats about it. Theres also the planned West Shore Commuter line.
thanks for the help everyone. Will be commuting 2 days to UWS, 2 days UES and 1 day midtown. will try out these options soon. so my impression seems to have been correct regarding demographics. i think my kiddo's will be ok, everyone seems friendly, but just not much variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: