Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,640 times

Advertisements

Since it's the only time we're in the national news....

I'm getting a little bit more info on it then before. I heard about this story on the local news or some web news before it caught the national press. I didn't think it would catch that much publicity.

But those kids were dead wrong for that period. That Jersey attitude doesn't always fly. At first, I didn't think it was a hate crime cause I thought it was just a prank where they were bullying the kid but seeing the comments the accused guy did before he set up the cam.... it was a hate crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
It was a prank gone way overboard imo.

I see people wanting to charge the 2 kids who used the webcam on manslaughter charges and I dont think it is right. They can not control whether the gay kid commits suicide or not. 999/1000 people would not react that way, so imo, the state has no right to charge them moreso simply because the kid commited suicide.

They were wrong, charge them as harshly as you can for voyeurism laws, Rutgers is likely to expell them, and then move on.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
What is the NJ attitude?
Media is very dangerous these days.
You can't believe everything you read.
One perverted college roommate does not mean the whole dorm is involved in gay bashing.
Those cameras are weapons today and not just in the hands of the youth either.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:38 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
This is a story that most likely has a singe perp. The other half of the equation may not have been actively involved yet there are websites such as the blenders calling for her head. Don't believe everything you read.

Definitely a crime but the media will run with it and the Ellen's of the world will call it a hate crime without knowing much of anything about it. These types of stories are too personal and too close to some people for them to be objective in any way. It sounds like the roommate was homophobic but they had not known each other very long so it was not blackmail.

Just for the humiliation and disregard for one's privacy it would be classified as criminal. I don't see how you can consider this type of invasion and public broadcast along the lines of "boys will be boys". Just for the obvious opportuniy to blackmail someone today using web based media, the consequences are many and can be very serious.

All these people are foreign but the story taking place in NJ makes it an NJ story with attitude?

Old 10-02-2010, 12:59 AM

467 posts, read 1,522,253 times
"All these people are foreign" - how do you know that? Funny last names? They went to high school in NJ.

BTW, I think the roommate and his friend need to get (figuratively) punched in the mouth. What a horrible and gross thing to do to anyone.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:15 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,294 times
I don't see how this has anything to do w/ "Jersey attitude", but whatever.

Honestly, what those two people did was wrong and they should suffer the harsh consequences. No question about that. The bottom line was that the guy was being filmed doing sexual activities...WITHOUT HIS CONSENT!!! Then the two idiots decided to put the piece they filmed online, again w/o the guy's consent. If I were the guy in that situation, I would have felt very humiliated also, thinking that everyone on campus has seen that video of me every time I step out of my dorm room.

The guy could have not committed suicide and instead decide to take legal action against the two culprits. But, the guy felt highly overwhelmed and upset about the situation and took his own life. It's sad that there are people out there who want to harm others for their own amusement. You would think that by the time a person get to college, they would know how to treat people and be respectful to another person? I guess not. Those two should feel guilty for the rest of their lives, knowing that their stupid and despicable actions led the victim to commit suicide.

For their sake, those two better get expelled from Rutgers and never show their face in New Brunswick again. If I ever run into them, it won't be pretty...trust me.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:40 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Since it's the only time we're in the national news....

I'm getting a little bit more info on it then before. I heard about this story on the local news or some web news before it caught the national press. I didn't think it would catch that much publicity.

But those kids were dead wrong for that period. That Jersey attitude doesn't always fly. At first, I didn't think it was a hate crime cause I thought it was just a prank where they were bullying the kid but seeing the comments the accused guy did before he set up the cam.... it was a hate crime.
"That Jersey attitude?"

Please explain so I can find out if you're just trolling.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
I hope karma comes back at both of them and causes them to jump off a bridge....

Old 10-02-2010, 05:16 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
I don't see how this has anything to do w/ "Jersey attitude", but whatever.

Honestly, what those two people did was wrong and they should suffer the harsh consequences. No question about that. The bottom line was that the guy was being filmed doing sexual activities...WITHOUT HIS CONSENT!!! Then the two idiots decided to put the piece they filmed online, again w/o the guy's consent. If I were the guy in that situation, I would have felt very humiliated also, thinking that everyone on campus has seen that video of me every time I step out of my dorm room.

The guy could have not committed suicide and instead decide to take legal action against the two culprits. But, the guy felt highly overwhelmed and upset about the situation and took his own life. It's sad that there are people out there who want to harm others for their own amusement. You would think that by the time a person get to college, they would know how to treat people and be respectful to another person? I guess not. Those two should feel guilty for the rest of their lives, knowing that their stupid and despicable actions led the victim to commit suicide.

For their sake, those two better get expelled from Rutgers and never show their face in New Brunswick again. If I ever run into them, it won't be pretty...trust me.
I am not gay, but I have been placed in embarrassing situations that were similar, and it can be overwhelming. I understand why the poor guy killed himself. The sad thing is the sick bastards who caused this are probably laughing about it. Well, sorry to say, karma will get them in the end. Good always triumphs over evil in the end.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:32 AM

312 posts, read 1,163,955 times
This was in no way a hate crime. This was more about a lack of respect and an invasion of privacy. In this day and age where every other celebrity has a sex tape out and we are constantly bombarded with graphic images i can imagine that these kids did not realize the seriousness of what they were doing and that they got caught up in doing a prank. The TV show Gossip Girl is basically based on humiliating people over the internet/electronically. In this day and age where information moves so fast I think its more important than ever that we teach our kids the consequences of their actions and that they learn to have respect for their fellow human beings.

I doubt that the two who posted the video are truly evil people. They acted stupidly and without compassion but given the way media is today I don't think they had very good examples on which to base their actions on. Parents really have to be proactive in making sure their kids do not make these mistakes. Unfortunately I am sure that in most households in America these lessons are not being taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey