Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:28 PM

5 posts, read 10,759 times

Advertisements

For south Jersey I've searched many threads and found nothing on Berlin. How does it compare to the other towns in that area? Any info on this town would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:11 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,538 times
It's not bad. I've been through it a few times and don't really remember it too well beyond the auction and the church that always says mass in Latin.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 10,759 times
Well thats a start, mass said in latin.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:21 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
It's not bad. I've been through it a few times and don't really remember it too well beyond the auction and the church that always says mass in Latin.
pretty cool. "semper ubi sub ubi"

Old 06-06-2010, 06:47 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Berlin's not bad, it's a pretty small and relatively safe town (I had a few friends that lived there). Not a bad location - you can get to Philly in about a half hour or the shore in less than an hour, and I think the real estate is pretty affordable.

For schools, it looks like there is one school for K-8 (which according to wikipedia has 822 kids for all 9 grades), and then most go to Eastern High School, which is a very large school (over 4,000 students in 4 grades), so that may be a bit of a shock. Eastern is a very good school on paper, but some people say "off paper" it isn't (if you've searched the South Jersey forum you may have seen the discussions about it).

That was for Berlin Borough (population ~6,000). There's also Berlin Township (population ~5,000). Berlin Twp. has one school for K-3 and another for 4-8, but sends them to Overbrook HS, which really isn't a great school, although it did produce Ron Dayne.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:05 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Berlin's not bad, it's a pretty small and relatively safe town (I had a few friends that lived there). Not a bad location - you can get to Philly in about a half hour or the shore in less than an hour, and I think the real estate is pretty affordable.

For schools, it looks like there is one school for K-8 (which according to wikipedia has 822 kids for all 9 grades), and then most go to Eastern High School, which is a very large school (over 4,000 students in 4 grades), so that may be a bit of a shock. Eastern is a very good school on paper, but some people say "off paper" it isn't (if you've searched the South Jersey forum you may have seen the discussions about it).

That was for Berlin Borough (population ~6,000). There's also Berlin Township (population ~5,000). Berlin Twp. has one school for K-3 and another for 4-8, but sends them to Overbrook HS, which really isn't a great school, although it did produce Ron Dayne.
Overbrook is pretty much the poster child of what is bad with regionalized schools. That's common knowledge in South Jersey. Problems with that school have made the Philly news for decades.

This thread needs to be moved to the subforum.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
I knew Overbrook was probably below average, but I didn't know "it was making news for decades"

Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
I knew Overbrook was probably below average, but I didn't know "it was making news for decades"
Yup. . . Unfortunately. . . There have been ugly incidents there that were bad enough to make the news.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:58 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
why don't you post it in the Philly suburbs/south jersey section for a better answer?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,994 times
Quote:

Wow that's kinda weird, so only the borough goes to Eastern Regional and the township goes to Overbrook. My cousins said ER gets Voorhees, Gibbsboro, Berlin and Atco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey