Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 08:32 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times

Advertisements

While we just recently started looking into buying a home in Toms River I'm hearing a lot of mixed info on the safety of the drinking water, just last night I heard the Toms River drinking water is causing children to get very sick, possibly contaminated? What's the true story here? Then others said no that's just a myth? But what's your opinion and is this in all of Toms River or just sections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:38 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
There is a lot of information on the internet on the "Toms River water contamination" subject. A good site to look at is T.E.A.C.H., it has some of the familys storys that children were affected by it. There is a commity that has a few meetings a year in down town Toms River. My wife and I atteded a few of them. They had people from the EPA and lawyers from ciba gigy, sciantists all giving the latest information. I walked away with a good feeling knowing that we have a great "watchdog group" looking out for us. They are on top of things and will get the word out if there is cause for concern. They deserve to be thanked for there outstanding effort. Mrs Linda Gillic, Mr Anderson and all the others who's names I forgot, on behalf of my family and your friends and neighbors here in Toms River thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

My personal take on the subject is.....Yes there was a serious problem. I believe it came from a ruptured pipeline that ran thru Bay ave across the bay and into the ocean. The place that was responsible was a chemical manufactor named ciba giegy. They have been closed down now for over ten years now. Since they have been closed down the reported cases have not been over what a city the size of Toms River should be. I live in the last section of Toms River that does not have city water. I have well water. In the last six years I have had it tested three times. All three times it came back perfect. I spent 700 on the last one and it was very though. On top of that the water in Toms River is the most tested water in the country! I personally believe there is no longer a need for concern.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 PM

44 posts, read 270,130 times
We have friends in Toms River, they love it -but they will only drink bottled water. There have been cancer clusters and in nearby towns there have been autism stats. growing like an epidemic (Brick Twp). Great town, good schools, but I'd recommend bottled water.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,872 times
Default Buy Bottled Water

Don't take any chances. Just buy bottled water. My brother used to live there and my mom still does and she has been purchasing bottled water ever since word got out of this "cancer cluster" situation. It may well be under control but I would never take any chances especially if I had children. All
my brother's pets all died and he swares it was the water that killed them. It's not a rumor, it's real. You can even have the water delivered to your house if it's more convenient.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 16,397 times
Default Thnk nothing is wrong - click on the link

[url=http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/cancer/index.html?query=TOMS%20RIVER%20(NJ)&field=geo&mat ch=exact]Cancer - Health - The New York Times - Narrowed by 'TOMS RIVER (NJ)'[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey