Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 01:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 28,658,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurie12 View Post
Oh--another question--how is the public transportation in the two places? I know one can get from NJ to NYC ok, but around town or between towns--how well does that work? Like from Sparta to Parsippany or Franklin to Dover (just examples-- not sure about who will travel where) Any buses or trains for an older teen to take, or is it time to fork over $ for a car?

Ha ha..time to fork over for a car
Sparta you can get bus into NYC, not sure about Franklin but more then likely yes.
The public transportation is mainly for commuters...I think on weekends there may be late buses or trains as far as Dover coming from NYC by late I think last tarin out of NYC is about 2AM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,632,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateb518 View Post
lurking on this (and other Sparta threads) and had to give my 2 cents...My husband & I grew up in CT - Vernon & Tolland - would we find Sparta similar?
while i'm not an expert on vernon, from what i do know...YES. difference is it's further to NYC from Sparta -vs- Vernon to Hartford. the topography, neighborhoods ,housing stock is very similar. Sparta does have a bunch of McMansions going/gone up, not sure it's the same up there. another thing - sparta is way more expensive!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 PM

31 posts, read 101,397 times
Tahiti--my new best-est friend! You know about Rein's!!!!! I was there recently for breakfast!! That is a regional hotspot! Now what's this I hear about a special NJ ham?

Kate, it seems that Vernon and Sparta are about the same from all my buddies on the posts.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 PM

15 posts, read 97,431 times
thanks! the schools alone make it worth checking out!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:07 AM

How is cell phone coverage in the Parsippany, Sparta, Newton areas. I currently have Cingular (AT&T) and I hear Verizon is king in NJ.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,053,823 times
From my experience (I lived in Sparta for 11 years as a child and I still have a lot of family in Sussex County), Franklin and Sparta are not diverse, but most people in the area are 100% accepting of diversity. Sussex County is mostly rural and there are a minority of folks, mostly senior citizens, who are prejudice, but I think that is the exception and not the rule by any means.

When I was in 3rd grade (in Sparta, in the '80s), a new student moved to the area. He was the first and only black child in the school. Our teacher (who was in her 50s or 60s) brought him to the front of the class and cheerfully pointed out that he was Black, and talked about Afro-American history for a while. The poor child looked rather uncomfortable. I went home and told my mom (who grew up in Jersey City) and she thought it was awful, yet funny. I still feel bad for that boy, but I also appreciate how the teacher (in a very awkward way) tried to educate us about African American history and encouraged us to be accepting of differences.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:17 AM

Christina--thanks so much for your post...you are awesome! Your story was cute--at least your teacher did what she could to make the child feel comfortable and show he was the same as everyone else, in a different shell.

Your post also is assuring that there is some love for diversity in Sussex county. I wonder what ever happened to him--do you know?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:48 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,579,203 times
Having been raised in Vernon, Sussex Cty, the area is 95% white, has some pretty expensive housing $500,000 and up, mostly commuters. Sparta is a lovely little town, pricey but still nice......Franklin, well a little hokey and that's the way its been since the 60's. No public transportation to speak of
and the traffic on Rt. 23 at times can be rough. If I were going to move, it would be Sparta hands down, if you can afford it.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:37 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,632,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
When I was in 3rd grade (in Sparta, in the '80s), a new student moved to the area. He was the first and only black child in the school. Our teacher (who was in her 50s or 60s) brought him to the front of the class and cheerfully pointed out that he was Black, and talked about Afro-American history for a while. The poor child looked rather uncomfortable. I went home and told my mom (who grew up in Jersey City) and she thought it was awful, yet funny. I still feel bad for that boy, but I also appreciate how the teacher (in a very awkward way) tried to educate us about African American history and encouraged us to be accepting of differences.
This happened to my friend's (Jewish) daughter in Nutley 2 years ago. Brought her up in the front of the class like a freak and made her talk about Hanukkah, Passover, etc. I understand why, but really, not a good idea with kids that young.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:30 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,658,008 times
I have had Cingular/ At&T for years with no problem. Hubby works up in Lafayette and has no problems with dropped calls. Guess try it and if you have problems complain to get out of your contract with out penalty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey