U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:21 AM

31 posts, read 93,157 times

Advertisements

Hi Sparta and Franklin experts!

I have a tough question that breaks my heart to ask, but it needs an answer.

I'd like to know how ethnically/culterally diverse Sparta and Franklin communities are. I know someone who lives in a town where there is not much diversity, (the diversity is getting better), but on occasion the family has gotten some looks and comments as they were just walking or shopping--as recently as 3 months ago. On top of it, this is a quiet,working class family, mind you! So, is Franklin and Sparta (and surrounding areas) accepting/tolerant of diversity?

It's not a nice question in this day and age, but the reality is that there are people who feel a certain way about other cultures/ethinicity--for whatever reason, but no one should have to live someplace and feel uncomfortable, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:30 AM

13,111 posts, read 25,475,345 times
Hmmmm, tough one but I live close in Jefferson and I would say no.
Diversity is in the infancy stage up here...jmo

Old 07-03-2007, 10:14 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,354,105 times
Ok, I just have one piece of anecdotal evidence, 15 years old. My brother and SIL lived in Sparta (Lake Mohawk). When they first moved there, the agent took them to see the Lake Mohawk "Country Club" (in quotes because it really is laughable that it's called a CC). They were looking around and noticed a black man. The agent said, and I'm NOT kidding (my bro and SIL didn't say anything to her to prompt this), "Oh, don't worry about him, he's just the Tennis Pro". That is still something we joke about to this day. That kind of gives you an idea of diversity in the area. Maybe it's a little more nowadays. The further north you go from Sparta, the LESS diverse it is. Diversity is like traffic - the more traffic, the more diverse. Sussex County is certainly no melting pot, that's for sure, LOL.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:32 PM

I like the diversity/traffic analogy...it makes sense. Tahiti, your story blew may hair back!--15 years is not that long ago! I hope it's better 'cause some new neighbors may be comin' to town. (lol)

But seriously, have you all heard of any real trouble? Comments like that agent made are rude and uncalled for, but it sounds like the comment stayed between those folks and everyone skipped away, going about thier business. Have there been any racially charged incidents in Sparta/Franklin surrounding areas that you know of?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurie12 View Post
I like the diversity/traffic analogy...it makes sense. Tahiti, your story blew may hair back!--15 years is not that long ago! I hope it's better 'cause some new neighbors may be comin' to town. (lol)

But seriously, have you all heard of any real trouble? Comments like that agent made are rude and uncalled for, but it sounds like the comment stayed between those folks and everyone skipped away, going about thier business. Have there been any racially charged incidents in Sparta/Franklin surrounding areas that you know of?
Not really because the two towns you ask of are predominately white.
Down the road ( Rt 15) you have Dover which is mostly Hispanic now moving into Wharton as well.

Jefferson is mostly white with a few black families....the new development The Peaks have many families of Asian Indian decent.

All in all all though not diverse I think they will be fine...many of the new families moving up here are from Bergen, Hudson, Essex Counties which have much diversity.

Hell if they can AFFORD Sparta real estate and the taxes to go with it more power to them

Old 07-03-2007, 12:56 PM

njkate, thanks for the info--you are wonderful. Thanks for the laugh regarding the real estate in Sparta, also!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
njkate, thanks for the info--you are wonderful. Thanks for the laugh regarding the real estate in Sparta, also!!!!!!!

Your quite welcome.

I must say given the choice between the two and if money wasn't a real issue I would pick Sparta

Old 07-03-2007, 01:18 PM

12,284 posts, read 32,354,105 times
Quote:

lol - I know, 15 years isn't that long ago - my brother was appalled!!!

I agree with njkate - i'm not aware of any "hate crimes" or downright hostility towards minorities. i also agree that given the choice between the 2, pick sparta.

also, a post on the CT forum caught my eye and I noticed a post from you about moving from vernon. i have family there, and from what I know, the areas you are looking at in NJ are probably the same racial makeup as that area (and very similar geographically too). but, but, but...how can you move away from Rein's Deli??? LOVE.THAT.PLACE.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:22 PM

Oh--another question--how is the public transportation in the two places? I know one can get from NJ to NYC ok, but around town or between towns--how well does that work? Like from Sparta to Parsippany or Franklin to Dover (just examples-- not sure about who will travel where) Any buses or trains for an older teen to take, or is it time to fork over $ for a car?

Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 PM

15 posts, read 92,083 times
lurking on this (and other Sparta threads) and had to give my 2 cents...My husband & I grew up in CT - Vernon & Tolland - would we find Sparta similar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or