Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 PM

22 posts, read 53,611 times

Advertisements

Thanks All. I did like the feel of Hoboken, weehawken, and Astoria. Liked Rutherford as well, but seems a bit far off. How would you compare the 2 areas in NJ (Hoboken and Weehawken) vs Astoria. My priorities are safety, commute (within an hour door to desk), proximity to grocery shops, and pre-shcools in that order. Astoria sounds quite promising in most of the aspects but having stayed out of US for over 4 years its difficult to decide. Also, if someone can provide a link to the site where I can get diff between taxes while staying in NJ vs NYC (is it substantial?).

Thanks very much.
N
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 07:41 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,722,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_shams View Post
Thanks Shorebaby. Besides ferry are there any other modes of transportation? How about the pre-shcools? Thanks very much.

N

Yes there are buses that run to the Port Authority, which isn't too far from your office and there is the PATH train that runs to 33rd street.

Hoboken is an Abbott school district which means pre school is provided free through he town, not true in most towns. Although we did not send our son there we have heard very good things about it. There are also a nuber of good private options.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yes there are buses that run to the Port Authority, which isn't too far from your office and there is the PATH train that runs to 33rd street.

Hoboken is an Abbott school district which means pre school is provided free through he town, not true in most towns. Although we did not send our son there we have heard very good things about it. There are also a nuber of good private options.
Thank you Shorebaby. May I ask what are the areas I can look in Hoboken that are close to PATH stations. Also, how do you rate the pre school there, though I do not have issues on private options. Is 800-1000$ per month sufficient for private pre-schools? Being new to North NJ, I am asking too many questions. Is the budget 2500$ good enough for a 2-3 BR and would I have proximity to grocery/dining?

Thank again.
N

Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_shams View Post
Thank you Shorebaby. May I ask what are the areas I can look in Hoboken that are close to PATH stations. Also, how do you rate the pre school there, though I do not have issues on private options. Is 800-1000$ per month sufficient for private pre-schools? Being new to North NJ, I am asking too many questions. Is the budget 2500$ good enough for a 2-3 BR and would I have proximity to grocery/dining?

Thank again.
N

The PATH is located at the south eastern part of Hoboken so you probably wouldn't want to be too much further away than 6th and Madison if you plan to walk routinely. There are shuttle buses from many apartment complexes and there is a public bus that runs down Washington to the PATH, and I believe there is a bus that runs down one of the streets further west to the PATH.

As I said the public pre k has an excellent reputation. We sent our son to a private pre school that was much less than $1000/month. It was school not day care, I do not know what day care costs.

I believe $2500 is a fine budget for a 2-3 bedroom, of course it will get you a nicer 2 bedroom than 3 bedroom. If you increase your budget to around 3k you could get a 2 bedroom on the water in walking distance to
the PATH.

As for groceries and restaurants etc. you are pretty much in walking distance to everything in Hoboken.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,652,948 times
The one thing I would caution is that the downtown area near the path is a pretty young crowd. Most older Hobokians( I lived there into my 30's) live uptown, north of 10th street. The problem is that it makes taking the PATH almost impossible, it's about a mile walk from 14th street to the PATH. There are other options, the bus takes 20-25 minutes even in traffic and it stops every few blocks on Washington and Clinton(morning)/Willow(evening). If you have the money the Ferry is hands down the best route into Manhattan, especially given your office location. It leaves from 14th St. in Hoboken and the cost is about $280/month(might have gone up a little?) if you just use it for work but there is a free bus service, provided by :: Welcome to NY Waterway :: from the 39th st terminal to 50th and 7th ave. If you add up the cost of both a PATH/Bus ticket monthly and a Metro card monthly( since you would need both if you wanted to avoid walking a good bit) you might actually be close to breaking even. Given all that I would concentrate your search at the buildings in The Shipyard(Constitution North will probably fit your budget) and The Hudson Tea Building(at least $3K for a rental). If you go the brownstone route a 2br for $2500 in that area is definitely doable. There is a Kings Supermarket right across the street from Constitution North.

I also lived in Astoria for 2 years or so and I would recommend it if you really want a more diverse "city feel". Hoboken is great but it's a little homogenized( Yuppy's of all Ethnicities and of course the after college crowd.) Astoria has ALL walks of life and is just a little more,well,city(has the subway,more restaurants, bodegas,dirtier, grittier,but still beautiful)

I think you will save 3% of your salary by living in NJ vs. NY since you won't have to pay the City Tax, but I've never been to sure about that, I'll let an accountant chime in to verify.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 10-11-2010 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
The one thing I would caution is that the downtown area near the path is a pretty young crowd. Most older Hobokians( I lived there into my 30's) live uptown, north of 10th street. The problem is that it makes taking the PATH almost impossible, it's about a mile walk from 14th street to the PATH. There are other options, the bus takes 20-25 minutes even in traffic and it stops every few blocks on Washington and Clinton(morning)/Willow(evening). If you have the money the Ferry is hands down the best route into Manhattan, especially given your office location. It leaves from 14th St. in Hoboken and the cost is about $280/month(might have gone up a little?) if you just use it for work but there is a free bus service, provided by :: Welcome to NY Waterway :: from the 39th st terminal to 50th and 7th ave. If you add up the cost of both a PATH/Bus ticket monthly and a Metro card monthly( since you would need both if you wanted to avoid walking a good bit) you might actually be close to breaking even. Given all that I would concentrate your search at the buildings in The Shipyard(Constitution North will probably fit your budget) and The Hudson Tea Building(at least $3K for a rental). If you go the brownstone route a 2br for $2500 in that area is definitely doable. There is a Kings Supermarket right across the street from Constitution North.

I also lived in Astoria for 2 years or so and I would recommend it if you really want a more diverse "city feel". Hoboken is great but it's a little homogenized( Yuppy's of all Ethnicities and of course the after college crowd.) Astoria has ALL walks of life and is just a little more,well,city(has the subway,more restaurants, bodegas,dirtier, grittier,but still beautiful)

I think you will save 3% of your salary by living in NJ vs. NY since you won't have to pay the City Tax, but I've never been to sure about that, I'll let an accountant chime in to verify.

What you say about updown versus downtown is very true but I would add that many complexes uptown have shuttle busses to the PATH that are much faster than the 126.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,652,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
What you say about updown versus downtown is very true but I would add that many complexes uptown have shuttle busses to the PATH that are much faster than the 126.
Actually the more I think about it the more I think they'l be priced out of the buildings with shuttle service. It's really $3K and up even at constitution north. also I wasn't suggesting they take the 126 to the PATH, that would be crazy you could be in Manhattan before you even got to the PATH station. I was saying to take the 126 directly into Port Authority in the city.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Actually the more I think about it the more I think they'l be priced out of the buildings with shuttle service. It's really $3K and up even at constitution north. also I wasn't suggesting they take the 126 to the PATH, that would be crazy you could be in Manhattan before you even got to the PATH station. I was saying to take the 126 directly into Port Authority in the city.

I live in the Shipyard they would probabbly be able to find something around $2500 give or tae a few hundred.

Oh yeah the 126 to the city would take longer than the Path or Ferry.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:28 PM

Thanks folks. I have posted a similar thread in NY forum and would see what people's views are. The info you have provided helps a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey