Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,360,697 times

Advertisements

Nicely stated, Sandee
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandee1213 View Post
Tahiti
I think that the name of this post is perfect "Never Judge a Book By It's Cover." Don't judge me for wanting a bigger house. You don't know my situation at all. You don't know how many kids I have or if I have elderly parents living with me. You don't know me, so stop judging.

People here in De. are much less materialistic than NJ. I also do not see my children growing up so quickly which is a big advantage to me.

I loved NJ, but De. is not so bad either. I think anyplace is what you make of it.
i think you misunderstood. why do you think i was judging you? please find one post of mine out of 7000+ where I disparage anyone for having a bigger home. in the linked post, i said that when people move out of state for a bigger home, it's "quality of life", but if you are in NJ and do the same thing, you're in a rat race. a few people responded saying that wasn't their reason. then I saw your post and it just resonated with what I was saying. I was making no judgment on you or your choices, I understand why people move.

in fact, i do believe you made a judgment about NJ people being materialistic. I am not, you don't know me or my situation, so don't say that. (that was a joke)

Old 10-12-2010, 01:03 PM

9,359 posts, read 20,732,294 times
I have visited Delaware a lot, due to a relative living in Dover and in Wilmington. In fact, this thanksgiving will be spent in Wilmington. I liken Delaware to a parallel of South Jersey. You have Wilmington and northern New Castle County, in Delaware parlance, then the "Slower Lower" which is where the C&D Canal bifurcates the state, culturally speaking. I would argue that since Rt 1 opened up to Milford in the early 2000s, that the cultural fracture zone has probably encroached further south to the NC-Kent County line. But New Castle County parallels Camden County culturally, then you have Kent and Sussex Counties, which are more like interior Atlantic and Cumberland Counties in NJ. Then you have the wealthy, second homeowner communities along the beach, mentioned, such as Bethany and Rehoboth, which would parallel Avalon and Sea Isle City. And Rt 55 in NJ is almost like Rt 1 is in Delaware, with Dover and Vineland acting as almost parallel look and feel cities. People have mentioned the inferiority of Delaware schools, but I would argue that the school quality around Wilmington is on par with the upper middle class towns that surround Camden. My brother in law moved to this area for just that purpose, from Dover, so his son could be in a better quality school district entering middle school. In that sense, the school quality in the places I mentioned, Vineland, Bridgeton, etc, are like Dover and Milford, that is to say, lower, but once you drive further north on 55 towards Camden County, the schools improve. I've mentioned this 'theory' to others, paralleling southern NJ with Delaware, in a cultural and spatial sense, and bewilderment is the normal reaction, but I am sticking to my theory!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,783,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have visited Delaware a lot, due to a relative living in Dover and in Wilmington. In fact, this thanksgiving will be spent in Wilmington. I liken Delaware to a parallel of South Jersey. You have Wilmington and northern New Castle County, in Delaware parlance, then the "Slower Lower" which is where the C&D Canal bifurcates the state, culturally speaking. I would argue that since Rt 1 opened up to Milford in the early 2000s, that the cultural fracture zone has probably encroached further south to the NC-Kent County line. But New Castle County parallels Camden County culturally, then you have Kent and Sussex Counties, which are more like interior Atlantic and Cumberland Counties in NJ. Then you have the wealthy, second homeowner communities along the beach, mentioned, such as Bethany and Rehoboth, which would parallel Avalon and Sea Isle City. And Rt 55 in NJ is almost like Rt 1 is in Delaware, with Dover and Vineland acting as almost parallel look and feel cities. People have mentioned the inferiority of Delaware schools, but I would argue that the school quality around Wilmington is on par with the upper middle class towns that surround Camden. My brother in law moved to this area for just that purpose, from Dover, so his son could be in a better quality school district entering middle school. In that sense, the school quality in the places I mentioned, Vineland, Bridgeton, etc, are like Dover and Milford, that is to say, lower, but once you drive further north on 55 towards Camden County, the schools improve. I've mentioned this 'theory' to others, paralleling southern NJ with Delaware, in a cultural and spatial sense, and bewilderment is the normal reaction, but I am sticking to my theory!
I agree completely, they also have a lot of Wawa's (or at least in the Dover area)

Old 10-12-2010, 05:37 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
...... In that sense, the school quality in the places I mentioned, Vineland, Bridgeton, etc, are like Dover and Milford, that is to say, lower, but once you drive further north on 55 towards Camden County, the schools improve. I've mentioned this 'theory' to others, paralleling southern NJ with Delaware, in a cultural and spatial sense, and bewilderment is the normal reaction, but I am sticking to my theory!
I'll back you up on that. I lived in the busy part of northern Burlington County for 14 years. I know less about Delaware, but have a friend who lives in Wilmington and another who spends about half of the year in a cottage down by Angola Neck SW of Rehoboth. Every time that I drive toward home from Lower, Slower, I leave the highway and visit a small town or a part of the bay shore which I had never before seen. It really does remind me of Southern New Jersey.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:33 AM

9,707 posts, read 14,206,718 times
I'm a native Delawarean of 70 years. This is a thread that can easily have words and descriptions reversed, depending upon the writer:
"NJ doesn't have _____, NJ is _____, NJ is not for me because_____"
So different strokes, for different folks.

Our kids made out fine in public schools, and they all went on to graduate from very good universities, with one obtaining a Masters. All are professionals in the workforce. About hospitals and medical care, we've had no complaints over these many years, and have had no reason to seek medical treatment outside Delaware.

We don't care about Malls, but they are close to us. In fact, everything is close in Delaware, since the State is only 96 miles long and between 9 and 35 miles wide, at the widest point. Philly, Baltimore and NY are within a reasonable travel distance for those interested.

It doesn't surprise us that caravans of transplants are coming by plane, train and automobile to settle in Delaware, and the majority of those we've met, personally, are really good people.
But, we are filling up here, so this thread may slow things down a little.
Carry on.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,360,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I'm a native Delawarean of 70 years. This is a thread that can easily have words and descriptions reversed, depending upon the writer:
"NJ doesn't have _____, NJ is _____, NJ is not for me because_____"
So different strokes, for different folks.

Our kids made out fine in public schools, and they all went on to graduate from very good universities, with one obtaining a Masters. All are professionals in the workforce. About hospitals and medical care, we've had no complaints over these many years, and have had no reason to seek medical treatment outside Delaware.

We don't care about Malls, but they are close to us. In fact, everything is close in Delaware, since the State is only 96 miles long and between 9 and 35 miles wide, at the widest point. Philly, Baltimore and NY are within a reasonable travel distance for those interested.

It doesn't surprise us that caravans of transplants are coming by plane, train and automobile to settle in Delaware, and the majority of those we've met, personally, are really good people.
But, we are filling up here, so this thread may slow things down a little.
Carry on.
Thanks so much for your post, rldr. It is nice (for ME at least) to have these POVs from folks who have experienced DE first-hand. Hopefully, this thread WILL slow migration to DE down a bit ... and leave some room for my wife and I a few years down the road

Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 AM

9,707 posts, read 14,206,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Thanks so much for your post, rldr. It is nice (for ME at least) to have these POVs from folks who have experienced DE first-hand. Hopefully, this thread WILL slow migration to DE down a bit ... and leave some room for my wife and I a few years down the road
You're welcome, pvs.
I don't usually get involved in dialog regarding "this state vs. that state". If you have specific questions, you might want to post on the Delaware Forum, or contact me via Direct Message. We're looking forward to welcoming you to Delaware, and we have room for you! Let us know if you have a particular spot you want us to save.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:55 AM

13,253 posts, read 33,437,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0706772 View Post
There is no stuff in DEL On one of the booklets I recieved, from a new home builder said it was 60 minutes to the mall. Do you know how many malls I can get to in 60 min. or less in NJ.
Delaware is a STATE, not a town. It makes no sense to say it takes 60 minutes to get to a mall without saying where the starting point is.
Christiana Mall - Premier Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in Newark / Wilmington, Delaware
Dover Mall - Dover, DE 19901 | Simon Malls
Concord Mall Home Page

Also, what the heck does,
Quote:
There is no stuff in DEL
mean?

Anyone that is interested in moving to Delaware might want to check out the Delaware forum for accurate information. //www.city-data.com/forum/delaware/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 AM

135 posts, read 297,745 times
My husband and I have been in DE for a little over 4 months. We came from Baltimore, another area with lots of "stuff" and world class medical care.
Yes, it is an adjustment as we do have to drive further for shopping. We chose the Dover area to somewhat mitigate that. We have found excellent doctors, sufficient shopping (how much do we really need?) and a much quieter way of life. We have found our Delaware neighbors to be extremely friendly and genuine (strangers actually smile at you). Being in a 55+ community, can't comment on the schools.
Do we miss the Balto area? At times, so we just hop in the car for a "city fix"....then we find we can't wait to get back.
If I were 20 would I want to be here? Probably not, but it's pretty great at this stage of our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey