Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Most people I deal with are nice. Either that or I'm a jerk so it's seems normal to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:29 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Most people I deal with are nice. Either that or I'm a jerk so it's seems normal to me.

LOL same here. People are generally cool so that means either the OP is wrong, or we're all a-holes who don't know any different. I say the former because I find people are generally decent no matter where I go.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:40 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,043 times
I read every post here and my response before I read yours was going to be... "Because everyone in NJ is a A-hole. I might be one too lol but since I think most are I guess I'm not, but only to ones that are to me. Does that make any sense!! Cause if not WELL F*** YOU!! lol

Old 10-11-2010, 01:30 PM

97 posts, read 310,965 times
I think the only difference between NJ and elsewhere is that we will say and do what we want because we really don't care what other people think. If you go elsewhere, people will tend to keep their comments to themselves and go out of their way for you because they don't want to be looked at as rude, inconsiderate, judgemental, etc.

I look at it as NJ being real and elsewhere being fake.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:50 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
i am not sure iagree. that is a way to justify people in NJ being rude or obnoxious...

people in other places are not in such a rush so they do not have to be so pushy.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:54 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
NJ (and New York) always get fingered first for having mean, rude, angry, road raging, inconsiderate, disrespectful and judgemental people, but having spent a lot of time in certain southern and midwestern states...all I have to say is, IT'S ALL A GIANT MYTH. There is plenty of kindness in NJ. If you have a chip on your shoulder, ALL you'll notice is the negative, while the positive flies right over your head. I'm GRATEFUL to live in NJ. I'll take any form of perceived NJ "rudeness"...guido, ghetto, yuppie or preppie...over 2-faced fake southern "hospitality" or sanctimonious good ol' fashioned midwestern "family values" anyday.

As far as bad driving and road rage...I dare you to spend an afternoon driving around certain parts of Georgia or Texas...you'll realize how good we have it here. I'd rather drive in bumper to bumper traffic on Rt. 17 on a Saturday afternoon with a full bladder and a migraine than drive in any of those places. It's not perfect here, but it's by no means the worst in the country. At all.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
I have to agree with Joe. Both my husband & I were raised in No. Jersey, we raised our kids on the Mainland of So. Jersey (off LBI). We too got caught up with the rat race and over paying for everything. Then 911 hit and we really took stock on what was important. It took us 2 yrs. to plan everything out. We quit our high profile jobs. DH got a job in a major HI company and we relocated to Eastern, NC. He received the same amt. of pay as in NJ and I pursued my dream of being a writer. I self-published my first Italian cookbook a couple of yrs. ago and am working on my second. We sit on the front porch at night with our dog. We barter a lot down here, a neighbor is sick, I cook. My mailman called me last week to let me know that our garage door was open, and he knew my h was at work. The UPS guy stops by every day to give the dog a treat (I don't even get UPS deliveries). It is a quality of life that we have always wanted. There are A--h--'s in every State, but a lot of NJ people are truly overstressed and instead of "working to live," they "live to work". Our decision to move away from the kids and family was at first difficult, but then we realized, it is just as easy to send a check to the kids from NC as it is in Jersey.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
So many people complain about how so many people in NJ are mean. Seems like the majority-
So wouldn't that make us mostly nice... You know, unless you're just mad other people are meaner than you.

NJ is being torn up in the media- And they're intentionally dramatizing the Italian culture, and making the Italian culture in NJ seem unruly. It's offensive and it's America that's giving these NJ stereotypes such high ratings- Not NJians.
We have shows like cakeboss that ACTUALLY portrays NJians in a positive light. Bust it's noit called "Jersey Cakes" so no one pays attention.

"Jersey Shore" is just a bunch of trashy NY trash, trashing up the Jersey Shore and making it NJ's mess (Better yet, it's NYers trashing up Miami, and it's STILL Jersey's mess). Theres also a whole new episode on "South Park" where NJ takes over the country- Mobs of guidos and all (this was based off the show Jersey shore)

So who's nice to Jersey exactly?
We've been the most teased state in the nation ever since NYC suburbs were created.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
So many people complain about how so many people in NJ are mean. Seems like the majority-
So wouldn't that make us mostly nice... You know, unless you're just mad other people are meaner than you.

NJ is being torn up in the media- And they're intentionally dramatizing the Italian culture, and making the Italian culture in NJ seem unruly. It's offensive and it's America that's giving these NJ stereotypes such high ratings- Not NJians.
We have shows like cakeboss that ACTUALLY portrays NJians in a positive light. Bust it's noit called "Jersey Cakes" so no one pays attention.

"Jersey Shore" is just a bunch of trashy NY trash, trashing up the Jersey Shore and making it NJ's mess (Better yet, it's NYers trashing up Miami, and it's STILL Jersey's mess). Theres also a whole new episode on "South Park" where NJ takes over the country- Mobs of guidos and all (this was based off the show Jersey shore)

So who's nice to Jersey exactly?
We've been the most teased state in the nation ever since NYC suburbs were created.
All NYC's trash has moved to NJ. Mostly in the (northern) shore areas based on my experience.

I was born and raised in Staten Island, left there when I was 9 before it became the crapshoot that it is now and moved to Manalapan where I lived until I left home last year. Manalapan and the surrounding area is full of that garbage now. It never seemed that prominent in SI, but it does in NJ. I work with a few people who still live in SI, despite its outrageous decline, and don't fit that stereotype at all. Additionally, I still have relatives in Brooklyn and Queens who don't fit the "dumb-Brooklynite" stereotype either. I never met a person who still lives in NYC who fits the low-life NY'er stereotype. It's the people from there who leave, come out to NJ and behave like such animals. So NYC really hasn't lost any of its good people, but alot of its bad elements who have "transplanted" themselves here and are now ruining the state.

Other than that, I wouldn't say most of NJ is nasty. People where I live now aren't nasty, just the people in Manalapan and that whole Monmouth County area that gets touted as being so superior to any place else in the state, which based on my experiences simply is not true. It makes me wonder why they chose Seaside for the show, because having been to Seaside many many times, I have never seen those "guido" elements there once.

You really can't paint the whole state with the same brush, you just can't.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:17 PM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I don't find everyone in NJ to be mean and rude, etc. I've lived here for all of my 52 years.

OP, maybe there's just something about you that people don't like, lol.

Seriously, there are some people who are rude and obnoxious, and you'll find them if you look for them. Same with nicer people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey