Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

After it is revealed that he killed off a project that would have generated 6,00 jobs, a move that will cost the State $3 billion in Federal funding, he won't get far if he runs. I am glad he is not Governor of my State!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Worry about it if it happens.

Thank god for Christie...I'm sick of every single project overunning its budget...it has to stop somewhere. Just look at the eyesore Xanadu project. Lautenberg and Menendez are ticked off because they wanted to put their name on another project that would give jobs to illegals as usual.

Its called fiscal responsibility whether your Dem, Repub, Indep, Tea Partier, etc.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
I totally agree. But the prospect that foreign policy will become "unimportant" is in itself a frightening thought, IMO.

But I agree, we've got huge problems right here in our own house that need to be addressed.

FWIW, if our economy stays this bad, we probably won't be much of a "world power" by then, anyway, and all the other nations will ignore us.
Consdering the U.S. still has triple the GDP of the next closest country (which is China BTW, they just eclipsed Japan) it will be a LONG time before we are not the world's largest and most influential economy. That also doesn't take into account our ability to globally project our military power wherever we want/need to. No other nation, not Russia, not China, has the ability to project it's power the way the U.S. can. We are essentially the ONLY power on Earth that could launch a military operation anywhere on the globe and sustain it.

I agree that the Bush-Cheney policies of ignoring our allies and going it alone were not the way to do it, but I also don't feel that the Obama policies of apology and apathy are any better. Foreign policy is a very fine line to walk and it has been a long time (Bush Sr.) since the U.S. had a truly effective foreign policy President. The U.S. needs to be strong and not afraid of protecting our interests, but we can't become the schoolyard bully either.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
After it is revealed that he killed off a project that would have generated 6,00 jobs, a move that will cost the State $3 billion in Federal funding, he won't get far if he runs. I am glad he is not Governor of my State!
Maybe if you lived here, you would actually understand why it was killed. Something tells me that most of America would find it refreshing to have a candidate who killed a major project because of cost overruns and the fact the state couldn't afford it.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
but we can't become the schoolyard bully either.
Which is my entire point about why I feel Christie would be a DANGEROUS choice for President.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Which is my entire point about why I feel Christie would be a DANGEROUS choice for President.
He will run count on it. He wont win reelection in NJ and his easy out is that he is doing it for the country. Just because he is saying he wont run doesnt mean he cant change his mind. Even I who am anti Christie wouldnt bash him if he "changed" his mind. Its his right to do so.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
He will run count on it. He wont win reelection in NJ and his easy out is that he is doing it for the country. Just because he is saying he wont run doesnt mean he cant change his mind. Even I who am anti Christie wouldnt bash him if he "changed" his mind. Its his right to do so.
I'm a bit confused by your reply here. You quoted my message, but I don't see the connection between mine and yours. Please elaborate if you wish. Do you agree with me or not?

And yes, I know ... I really didn't answer your original question, either. But as that was answered already, and this thread has digressed, I thought it was OK to reply as I did.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:33 PM

124 posts, read 227,758 times
I understand your diplomacy" reference. My fear is that, based upon his reign of terror so far, since he insists he won't run for President may very well mean that he indeed will run.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB1234 View Post
I understand your diplomacy" reference. My fear is that, based upon his reign of terror so far, since he insists he won't run for President may very well mean that he indeed will run.
Reign of terror? Are you joking? The only people who think he's waging a "reign of terror" are those who stand to lose taxpayer $$$ as he TRIES to cut expenses and get our financial situation on track.

Lemme guess: RB1234 is a teacher, school administrator or otherwise overpaid union member.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:36 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default Federal bait

"After it is revealed that he killed off a project that would have generated 6,00 jobs, a move that will cost the State $3 billion in Federal funding, he won't get far if he runs. I am glad he is not Governor of my State!"

Did it ever make you wonder why, when NJ couldn't afford the project in the first place, even at the dramatically under estimated cost, would we then take the federal bait to ensure higher taxes and more debt at this time? 6,000 jobs at a cost of 8 billion dollars, do the math.

Nationally CC is seen to be on the right track in NJ. The rails that the CC train rides on are the only rails we can afford right now.

Can't afford to send your kids to college, no problem. Get divorced and the judge makes the father pay.

That portion of the shortsighted electorate gave us Obama, Pelosi and Reed. Glad NJ is short one more vote.

Booker for governor is the result of more daydreaming. Although he does have professional exposure on a comedy show and has helplessly stood watch at the helm of one of NJ's worst cities. And then there was that one month Newark was reported to be murder free for the first time in 40 something years. Dress someone up nice, speak well and some NJ voters will roll over in a state of euphoria.

Critical thinking apparently does not grow well in the garden state. Heard there is a new hardy variety that was planted last November. Looks good so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey