Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM

102 posts, read 118,315 times

Advertisements

Here is the current route map:

As you can see, there are three ridiculously-designed overlapping loops that run only once every 30 minutes, don't serve the 9th Street HBLR station (one goes sort of close in one direction only) and don't actually go up into the Stevens Institute. One route runs alongside Stevens southbound only. But it would be more useful for the students and staff of the school if there was a bus that actually went up INTO the school property - especially when there is terrible whether and you don't feel like walking several minutes outside.

My proposal gets rid of these silly overlapping loops, serves the 9th street station and Stevens Institute, and would run every 20 minutes instead of every 30 minutes with the same number of buses thanks to shorter, more direct, easier to remember routes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
the first proposal covers every part of town more or less. yours covers half the area the 1st does.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM

The first "proposal" isn't a proposal, it's the current routes.

The current routes suck. The fact that they are loops only makes them useful for a limited number of trips. Let's say you live at 12th/Hudson and want to visit a friend at 3rd/Hudson. Fine, you have a direct route there, but to get back you have to to WAY out of your way - it might be faster to just walk.

Plus look at all the unnecessary turns, especially on the red and green routes. Who can memorize that? My routes are much simpler, faster, easier to remember, and more direct. My routes better serve the Stevens Institute of Technology (staff and students would appreciate a shelter on the campus instead of having to walk to Hudson Street to go South, or to Washington Street to NJ Transit buses to go north). Plus they would have much better access to the 9th Street LRT station straight across town. This would be very useful for people coming in on the LRT.

If more buses were added, they could be used to further improve service frequency, or a 14th street East-West route could be added. Or the green route could be moved a few blocks east or west, and a second North-South route could be added to the system.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny_FMan View Post
The first "proposal" isn't a proposal, it's the current routes.

The current routes suck. The fact that they are loops only makes them useful for a limited number of trips. Let's say you live at 12th/Hudson and want to visit a friend at 3rd/Hudson. Fine, you have a direct route there, but to get back you have to to WAY out of your way - it might be faster to just walk.

Plus look at all the unnecessary turns, especially on the red and green routes. Who can memorize that? My routes are much simpler, faster, easier to remember, and more direct. My routes better serve the Stevens Institute of Technology (staff and students would appreciate a shelter on the campus instead of having to walk to Hudson Street to go South, or to Washington Street to NJ Transit buses to go north). Plus they would have much better access to the 9th Street LRT station straight across town. This would be very useful for people coming in on the LRT.

If more buses were added, they could be used to further improve service frequency, or a 14th street East-West route could be added. Or the green route could be moved a few blocks east or west, and a second North-South route could be added to the system.
well maybe the primary target for service was hoboken residents and not stevens' students? i dunno.

the green route goes 2 blocks from the light rail - there's nothing else over there but the light rail.

and what turns are unneccessary? orange turns because if it continues straight uptown, it his a dead end. it's more efficient to turnon 7th there instead of 9th (i used to drive up that way all the time).

looks awesome to me. i moved out 6 months ago, didn't know they started this.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:17 PM

Ehhhh...you have your opinion, I have mine. Shorter headways and quicker, more direct routes make for a better bus system. Long headways and out-of-the-way looping routes do not.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM

i understand what you are saying, and i haven't ridden it, but i think they aren't really out of the way. they are strategic to cover most of the town and they are pretty direct. that 7th street turn is necessary. and going down 2nd instead of newark serves more people...

Old 10-12-2010, 11:54 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Some slight changes to the current system , the bus routes should tie into the Light Rail stations at 9/Congress and 2nd Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey