Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 14,629 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband got a new job in Princeton area. We have a 2 year old kid. We are planning to move to this area from middletown, DE. We have no idea about the school district and taxes in these areas. Our budget is maximum of500k. Looking for a single family home with a good schools district. Could someone please give some directions about the best places to look for houses.

thanks
Lisap

This is my first post in this forum. Pls pardon if I broke any rules. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 11:45 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
I work in the Princeton area and have lived in the area for 40 years. Princeton is an expensive location and I don't think you'll find much decent for 500K in the bourgh of princeton. You'll want to live in any number of the near by areas. There are a number that offer excellent schools and safe neighborhoods etc.

On one side of Princeton you've got West Windsor , Plainsbourgh and Cranberry. On the other side of princeton you've got Hopewell and Pennington and Rockyhill. Rockyhill uses the Princeton twp schools which isn't as good as the others. West Windsor and Hopewell have really outstanding school systems.

My suggestion would be to take a few "get-away" weekends for yourselves and get a motel/hotel on Route 1 in the Princeton area...there are a number to choose from. That location as home base will put you in the middle of where you'll be looking. In addition you'll be near by a number of inexpensive places to eat and a near by mall if you need some "I forgot and left it on the conter" things.

Good luck and BTW...most of us on here don't bite...welcome aboard

Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,641 times
In most of the areas with the best schools (West Windsor and the like), it doesn't seem like you'd get much for 500K. Maybe a townhouse? My husband and I briefly considered the area for new construction (Estates at Princeton Junction), but found you can get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:28 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Look into Montgomery Twsp as well. Great schools (HS ranked #4 in state by NJ Monthly), and minutes from Princeton (some sections have an 08540 zip). Other mailing addys for Montgomery include Rocky Hill, Skillman, Belle Mead.

With prices dropping, you can get an older, smaller home within your price range.

good luck.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:02 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Of all the places you mention, Pennington is my hands-down favorite. Lovely town! But not cheap!

Old 07-04-2007, 05:43 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Welcome to Mercer County. The two very best school districts in the area are known to be West Windsor - Plainsboro and Pennington - Hopewell. I believe Princeton itself has a good district as well. I live in Washington Township (Robbinsville) which is an easy commute to Princeton; our school district is good.

The traffic in central NJ is atrocious and I wouldn't recommend going too far out of Mercer County. Northern Burlington County would be the furthest from Princeton you would want to go.

Finding a nice home for under $500k is certainly possible as long as you aren't expecting a gigando mcmansion.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 14,629 times
Thanks a lot for the information. I really appreciate your time.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,222 times
We might be moving to the princeton area this summer, too...with our 18 month old. I also appreciate the info.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:22 PM

19 posts, read 83,327 times
Lisa,

Did you have any luck finding a house? we just purchased a house in Hamilton (new construction). It is only about a 15 min ride from Princeton and in your price range. I dont know the school system, my son attends private. Best of luck.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:25 PM

78 posts, read 400,525 times
If Princeton twp schools were not as good as the others, why people pays higher premium to live in princeton township or princeton borough?

IMO, princeton regional school is as good as (if not better than) the schools in nearby townships. For example, you can find total SAT scores last year is the second in all non-vocational public schools in NJ:

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

>Rockyhill uses the Princeton twp schools which isn't as good as the others. West Windsor and Hopewell have really outstanding school systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey