Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,399,101 times

Advertisements

yeah. well my sister in law just delivered a baby at the hospital in wilmington and it seemed fine. again though, we get a lot for our money here. and all those things help keep property values pretty stable and increasing. look at how parts of the country tanked, and we slowly dropped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
yeah. well my sister in law just delivered a baby at the hospital in wilmington and it seemed fine. again though, we get a lot for our money here. and all those things help keep property values pretty stable and increasing. look at how parts of the country tanked, and we slowly dropped.
Things are coming to a head in New Jersey. $10,000 in property taxes for a middle class home is unacceptable. The housing values are going to start reflecting this soon.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:17 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Things are coming to a head in New Jersey. $10,000 in property taxes for a middle class home is unacceptable. The housing values are going to start reflecting this soon.
property taxes in NJ have always been high (let's say the last 20 or so years) - why all of a sudden will housing values reflect this? wouldn't you think we'd have the highest foreclosure rate or be the hardest hit by the housing slump today? why haven't we been as affected as other states? why does NJ has one of the highest homeownership percentages in the country?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
my taxes are split our evenly quarterly throughout the calendar year...
do you pay them as part of your mortgage?

eta - but budgets are typically set in july - don't you receive a tax bill then? if it's evenly split, it wouldn't be for the calendar year - it would be for 8/1 through 7/31?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,407 times
Quote:
yeah. well my sister in law just delivered a baby at the hospital in wilmington and it seemed fine.
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S
Quote:
again though, we get a lot for our money here. and all those things help keep property values pretty stable and increasing. look at how parts of the country tanked, and we slowly dropped.

Well ... I'm trying to be optimistic, myself, which is why I haven't taken a purchase in NJ off the table. But some of the tax stories I've heard have been scary. And with the new rules being imposed by CC, there seems to be an element of uncertainty regarding where property taxes are going. I'll probably wait until well into 2011 before I pull any triggers.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
i think the housing values do often reflect it. I live in West Orange with a tax bill of $9,700 for my house. When i was looking, similar homes with lower taxes were pretty much priced accordingly so that in either case, my monthly total payment was about equal.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
property taxes in NJ have always been high (let's say the last 20 or so years) - why all of a sudden will housing values reflect this? wouldn't you think we'd have the highest foreclosure rate or be the hardest hit by the housing slump today? why haven't we been as affected as other states? why does NJ has one of the highest homeownership percentages in the country?
and define "high". is it just that taxes are high, or is it that NJ residents pay too much. to me, it's two different things. NJ has a lot of great public schools. One of the best public transportation systems in the country. The state roads for the volume they handle are pretty well maintained (despite many people's gripes, but really, they are), etc. etc. that stuff costs money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
do you pay them as part of your mortgage?

eta - but budgets are typically set in july - don't you receive a tax bill then? if it's evenly split, it wouldn't be for the calendar year - it would be for 8/1 through 7/31?
yes i pay as part of my escrow payment.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,407 times
Quote:
One of the best public transportation systems in the country.
Well, in the northern half of the state, anyway. But as Nexis will advise, more coverage is coming. I for one, hope so, but I know there are many who would rather not have to deal with those subsidies, as long as our gasoline prices are the lowest in the western hemisphere.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,638 times
Hmm this sounds strange to me. What exactly is the property tax rate in East Orange? Anyone know?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Hmm this sounds strange to me. What exactly is the property tax rate in East Orange? Anyone know?
it does sound strange, if you noticed i found a home with an assessed value higher than OP's, and the taxes were $7400 or so. i'm beginning to think OP thinks his QUARTERLY tax bill rises each time and extrapolating that to say they'll be $10K soon. IDK though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey