U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 PM

1,728 posts, read 2,985,135 times

Advertisements

My home's sewage line seems to be clogged. Running water from our sinks, toilet, and bathtub is backing up into our basement.

I'm debating whether to call Roto Rooter or a plumber to handle the problem. Roto is good at snaking lines but they may not be as experienced if there's something more serious... But then again, I heard Roto is cheaper than a plumber for just your basic work like unclogging a drain.

Any tips or suggestions? Anyone know of a good plumber near the Rutherford area?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 05:42 AM

559 posts, read 1,299,846 times
We have just gone through the same thing..........If it is only a clog check out the CO2 cartridge drain cleaner sold at Home Cheapo. 25.00 and the thing is WONDERFUL. Unless of course you have thrown cigarette butts, tampons, tampon applicators, paper towels, wash rags etc down the toilet like my last tenants did..........We thought we had it clear with the CO2, then after the new people used the septic more, the garbage started floating clogging the drain pipe, had that cleaned by a drain guy (200.00 vs 400.00 for the Septic guy)AFTER getting the Septic Pumped.. I still have to get the septic guy in to replace the baffals (sp?) because the garbage and age probably damaged them. My advice, get the Septic guy, one guy who can repair it where ever it is, it may cost you more $$ but it is time worth saving IMHO.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 AM

12,546 posts, read 20,411,767 times
kimchee check out the house forum. they helped me unclog my shower drain and told me the tools i needed in that forum. doesn't hurt to try yourself. it's a nasty process though so get a mask!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 AM

Thanks for responding so quickly! I think it's our home's sewage to the city's main line that is clogged so was going to just get a drain guy to come in to solve the problem. Maybe he'll have a camera with snake combo too so we can see if there's anything more serious.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM

101 posts, read 446,032 times
I used this company Able-tex
Able Tex Sewer Rooter

They were great and came late at night a few times when I forgot to get the line out to the street cleaned out.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks everyone, we called a local plumber that our RE agent recommended and got the drain unclogged for 100 bucks. Roto Rooter was going to charge 200/hr.!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanErikson View Post
I used this company Able-tex
Able Tex Sewer Rooter

They were great and came late at night a few times when I forgot to get the line out to the street cleaned out.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Are homeowners supposed to get the line out to the street cleaned out?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:49 AM

12,546 posts, read 20,411,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Thanks for responding so quickly! I think it's our home's sewage to the city's main line that is clogged so was going to just get a drain guy to come in to solve the problem. Maybe he'll have a camera with snake combo too so we can see if there's anything more serious.
mind sharing who you used? i need to get another guy in for an estimate for some significant work, and still haven't gotten any other recommendations other than mccormick plumbing, who i'll probably go with but just wanted a sanity check. thanks!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:46 AM

101 posts, read 446,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Thanks for the recommendation.

Are homeowners supposed to get the line out to the street cleaned out?
Yes, its your portion of the Sewers. Not sure if this applies to Townhouse/Condo owners too.

Most of the time- its not even gunk thats backing up your system - its tree roots growing into the small holes in your sewer line. There are some additives you can add to your toilet to help, but the best bet is calling one of these services about every 2 year to clean them out proactively.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
mind sharing who you used? i need to get another guy in for an estimate for some significant work, and still haven't gotten any other recommendations other than mccormick plumbing, who i'll probably go with but just wanted a sanity check. thanks!
Sure we used RM Plumbing of Rutherford (201-522-2058) and the guy had an electronic snake and video cam too. He's recommended by my RE agent and also rated well on the BBB. He stayed one hour to make sure the drain is all cleared before he left. Other plumbers in the area gave us absurd quotes like 200-300 just to do an hour's work.

I don't think so! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: