Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:59 AM

40 posts, read 145,355 times

Advertisements

My husband will be a regular commuter to the city via train, when we move to the burbs. We still hear how "much worse" NJT is than metro-north and I'm trying to understand the truth of the matter. Is that just rumor, snob factor (anti-NJ), etc? Or is NJT truly a frustrating experience? I'm looking for actual daily commuters to comment on how often the train is late, and by how much, etc. also, does it vary by train line, and is there any one line that is most or least reliable?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Varies. The Morris and Essex line has been quite reliable lately (one diversion to Hoboken last week, other than that it's been pretty smooth since Sandy recovery). Last year, though, it seemed like there were problems in the Hudson tunnels just about every week, and that can get pretty frustrating. Tunnel problems (most common of major issues) affect all lines into Penn Station.

That's all leaving out Sandy, but Sandy was a disaster all over.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times
NEC rider for years. No real complaints besides the occasional dealys into tunnel into NY Penn, and the occasional overheating lines during the summer.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
I have no real complaints. The only little one I have is that they redid their schedules and made my transfer at Penn Station a little tighter. My train leaves 2 minutes earlier, but the one from NYC leaves at the same time. They just decided that the trip would be 2 minutes faster so the transfer time would be the same, but since the first train is never on time (only a few minutes late, but there is a hude difference between 5 minutes and 2 minutes to make the transfer), it makes my trip not as pleasant as it once was

Old 04-07-2013, 01:29 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Which line is he going to be commuting on?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Commuter here for more than 30 years, the Bergen/Main Lines and now the North Jersey Coast Line. Mostly reliable service, but, as others have pointed out, the problems are usually in the tunnel going into Penn Station.

Depending upon where your husband works, he might also have the option of the trains (Bergen/Main, and others) that go into Hoboken, where you catch PATH.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:57 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
They focus much more of their energy on the trains (serving rich people for the most part) than on the buses which are broken down & outdated.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
They focus much more of their energy on the trains (serving rich people for the most part) than on the buses which are broken down & outdated.
Rich people can afford the SeaStreak. Seriously, that was a bizarre statement.

I've been taking the trains for more than thirty years and I'm not rich. Neither are most of the commuters I know who take the trains, and that's a substantial number of commuters.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Rich people can afford the SeaStreak. Seriously, that was a bizarre statement.

I've been taking the trains for more than thirty years and I'm not rich. Neither are most of the commuters I know who take the trains, and that's a substantial number of commuters.
Well Jeez - we're not talking about the swells of Rumson. Just the avg. commuter.

Having taken both NJ Transit trains & buses IMO it's absolutely true. NJ Transit buses are awful. Cramped, broken seats, no heat, consistently late, crummy hours of service. The Bergen Main line was like the Orient Express compared to the NYC buses from central NJ.

Considering 2X as many people use buses each day, they should be focusing more of their efforts on improving things.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Well Jeez - we're not talking about the swells of Rumson. Just the avg. commuter.

Having taken both NJ Transit trains & buses IMO it's absolutely true. NJ Transit buses are awful. Cramped, broken seats, no heat, consistently late, crummy hours of service. The Bergen Main line was like the Orient Express compared to the NYC buses from central NJ.

Considering 2X as many people use buses each day, they should be focusing more of their efforts on improving things.
The Buses are often use to supplement the areas that will get future Rail service , that seems to take decades to get built even tho NJT owns the tracks that the future service will run on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey