Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 10:33 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,558 times

Advertisements

Did anyone get a slew of junk mail since moving into a new home? I'm wondering if my mortgage company, American Federal Mortgage, or some other other company that's involved with the closing of my new home sold my information.

Ever since I moved in, I've been bombarded with a bunch of junk mail not just geared towards near home owners (welcome to town, etc.) but solications from mortgage companies (who know what I mortgage amount I owe!), insurance companies, etc.!

It's frustrating! Is there anything that can be done about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 AM

96 posts, read 350,424 times
The information was most likely sold by the mortgage broker.

It is annoying, but should stop after the first year. I am not aware of anything that can be done.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM

28 posts, read 99,645 times
Exact same thing happened with us - tons of advertising, coupons - everyone seemed to have all the information about our mortgage etc...its been slowing down a bit now but it did seem a bit scary initially..

Old 10-17-2010, 07:18 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Did anyone get a slew of junk mail since moving into a new home? I'm wondering if my mortgage company, American Federal Mortgage, or some other other company that's involved with the closing of my new home sold my information.

Ever since I moved in, I've been bombarded with a bunch of junk mail not just geared towards near home owners (welcome to town, etc.) but solications from mortgage companies (who know what I mortgage amount I owe!), insurance companies, etc.!

It's frustrating! Is there anything that can be done about this?
YES! I bought a condo three months ago, and all of a sudden I'm getting this crap in the mail, especially this past week. One of them is from company, not my mortgage company, who wants me to respond to them about paying my mortgage in biweekly payments instead of monthly. This is something I've thought about doing anyway once I clear up some of the moving debt (bought a bed, bought a washer/dryer, etc.) but why do I need some unknown company in Florida to have me sign up for that?

I think it's just that purchasing property is public information, and they get it from some public source.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 PM

334 posts, read 731,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmehta76 View Post
Exact same thing happened with us - tons of advertising, coupons - everyone seemed to have all the information about our mortgage etc...its been slowing down a bit now but it did seem a bit scary initially..
Same thing happened to us. Remember though, home sales are public information so anyone can get a hold of it. The Star Ledger usually publishes these transactions once a week in the area that it covers.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:02 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
it happens whether you buy a new home or refi - all mortgage info and sales are public record so it doesn't take much for these companies to get the info and assault you with offers. It's happened to me the 10(?) times I've either refi'ed or bought. It'll slow down eventually.

If the offers come with a SASE, you can send it back blank!

Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
It happened to me too. Within 6-12 months the amount of new homeowner junk mail will go down to almost nothing.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
it happens whether you buy a new home or refi - all mortgage info and sales are public record so it doesn't take much for these companies to get the info and assault you with offers. It's happened to me the 10(?) times I've either refi'ed or bought. It'll slow down eventually.

If the offers come with a SASE, you can send it back blank!
Don't send it back blank. Stuff if full of other junk mail. Then repeat. Again. And Again. And Again.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Don't send it back blank. Stuff if full of other junk mail. Then repeat. Again. And Again. And Again.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
As others have said, all home sales and transactions are public record, so they glean information from there. Also, if you file a change of address with the post office, they automatically subscribe you to a whole TON of junk mail unless you purposefully opt out. I guess the good old USPS needs to drum up business some how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey