Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 PM

122 posts, read 377,419 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to Union and work in NYC. Other than the NJ Transit train and 114 bus, are there any other mass transit options? I was spoiled by Decamp when I worked in Nutley.

The job is in Midtown, right between Port Authority and Penn Station, so PATH is not exactly optimal. I didn't know if there was any other third party so I figured I'd ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 04:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Did you try the Train station in Union?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Did you try the Train station in Union?
Quote:
Originally Posted by From OP
I'm looking to move to Union and work in NYC. Other than the NJ Transit train and 114 bus, are there any other mass transit options?
Not trying to be snarky here, but

Old 10-19-2010, 03:53 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
Nope, unless you count the 117 express on Rt 22(which is NJT lol).

Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM

857 posts, read 2,001,845 times
???

union has a train and 2 bus lines servicing the city. You can't find what you need there???

Old 10-21-2010, 02:19 PM

The train has a transfer at Penn, and of the houses we've looked at so far, none that meet what we need to have were within easy walking or biking distance from the train station. Parking isn't necessarily a guarantee, even if I reserve a space, and I can't seem to get a clear answer from anyone I've asked if parking at the Union train station is ever full up.

The bus schedule looks like it'd take as long to get from one or two of the hypothetical locations I'd take it from would take any less time than me taking the CoachUSA bus from New Brunswick - an hour and 15 minutes just to get from Burnet at Madison to Port Authority Bus Terminal via 22, 78, and the Turnpike. I can't imagine the amount of traffic it'd hit on the way, bus lanes notwithstanding.

If nothing else, I had really bad experiences with the NJT 192 bus when I lived in Nutley. It was rarely on time either in the AM or PM, the boarding area at Port Authority was constantly overcrowded, NJT was lax to update traffic delays and such, and they don't care if people *** on cell phones the whole way in. To contrast, I had nothing but joy commuting with Decamp. Always - ALWAYS on time to arrive and depart, their departure area was clean, well-maintained, and their text message alerts were timely and helpful. I was hoping I had a similar private bus alternative.

Just because NJT services an area doesn't mean it's good - it just means that they might be the only game in town.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Whats wrong with Transferring , its just downstairs or most of the time on the same platform.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM

71 posts, read 162,857 times
My friend has a home for sale in Linden (sunny side) and you can go direct from the Linden line. Msg me if you want more details

Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,228 times
I live in Union and take the train from Union Station frequently. There is always ample parking (especially if you are commuting in the morning) and the parking rates are much more reasonable on a monthly basis then most other stations.

The transfer is super easy and generally you have to wait less then 5 minutes between trains. Generally you have to transfer from track 4 to 5 but there are certain times of the day where you do not have to move platforms at all.

Also, my future sister in lae takes the 114 daily and it is never late. It takes her about 54 minutes door to door. There are plenty of stops throughout Union township for this bus.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,189 times
Where is the location of the NJ transit in Union Township?
I need the information for Union Township and not Union.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey