Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:24 PM

39 posts, read 168,789 times

Advertisements

Looking to move in Sept. and am wondering if anyone can recommend a good area, or good apartments in the Rutherford or Secaucus areas. Looking to be within walking distance to the train station and close commute to NYC. I've heard some parts of Jersey City are okay... just not sure what parts those are. Any suggestions, in general? Or specific apartment buildings/complexes would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 04:47 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,472 times
What is your budget?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Up to $1300 at most

Old 07-06-2007, 06:07 AM

687 posts, read 3,251,472 times
JC is probably out of the question. I'm not sure about about Rutherford or Seacaucus--you might consider looking further south.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:56 PM

6 posts, read 29,297 times
Check out Rahway, train station is right there and it puts you right into Penn Station/Madison Square Garden or Newark Penn. Also accessible to all major highways but doesn't have that Elizabeth feel... no offense Elizabethans...

Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the response. Trying to avoid living anywhere along the Northeast Corrider line actually (Linden, Elizabeth, Rahway, etc). Also trying to just get alot closer to the city than we are now to make my boyfriend's commute shorter.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:07 PM

14 posts, read 117,999 times
Well if you are looking to move to the rutherford area you might want to also check Lyndhurst it is a little cheaper than Rutherford and can offer more apartments and it is still a good town. You might also want to check East Rutherford, Carlsdadt, Moonachie

Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,190 times
I would recommend Secaucus, having lived here for 35 years. The commute to Seventh Avenue takes ten minutes by train, five minutes if you are going to Hoboken... From here to Port Authority takes fifteen mins. except, of course, during rush hour. We are an hour from shore points and an hour from the Poconos.

The feel of the town matters. People are happy they live here. The mayor and town council are exceptional, the property taxes rarely rise, there is a nice mix of townspeople from various cultures, the amount of recreational activities is outstanding especially for this part of NJ, and the schools are very responsive to the needs of children.

I have a dear friend who had a special needs child in Rutherford and couldn't get him the services he needed in the elementary grades. She is a teacher and said Secaucus had a much better Child Study Team. The high school has ranked in the top schools in NJ recently.

For seniors, this town has seven days of activities and free shuttle service. Anyone over 55 can ride the shuttle around town. Till recently, everyone kept their doors unlocked. After Wal-Mart opened there was an upsurge in robberies but they are mostly at the store. Independently-owned restaurants of note include Barelli's, LaReggia, Dhoom, and Mausam. There are more that I haven't tried and, of course, the chain restaurants loom large in Harmon Plaza and Mill Creek shopping areas. How many towns offer canoeing this close to Manhattan? And a theme park featuring animatronic dinosaurs?

My friend has a lovely Victorian in Rutherford. She had a fire and the home was gutted. You won't believe how much her property taxes were raised when it was repaired. That could never happen here where the administration is AAA. We also have four churches housing seven denominations and a temple for those of the Hindu faith. Secaucus has a great deal of character.

On the negative side are the small yards and the old homes but these are being upgraded constantly. People here take pride in their property. For seniors, children, and commuters, there is no better place to live. I know people who have moved to other states all wishing they could come back. Good luck wherever you go.

Last edited by Coco's mom; 10-28-2013 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 06-21-2016, 04:33 PM

650 posts, read 774,905 times
Secaucus to Seventh Avenue takes ten minutes by train?

How often is the trains ?

Old 06-21-2016, 07:17 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Secaucus to Seventh Avenue takes ten minutes by train?

How often is the trains ?
Takes a little longer than that, especially including time getting to the station, waiting, etc. The residential area of Secaucus is not near the station. (There are some apartments right at the station, but over your budget I think, and not near anything else). During busy times there are trains almost constantly; more than 10 per hour; off-peak still 4-5 until after midnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey