U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:16 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,400,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
it's all relative, did you ever drive through there 20 years ago? have you had the pleasure of trying to use the jughandle at laurel ave and have to wait 2 or 3 cycles to get through?
what does 20 years ago have to do with today? you were speaking in the present.

yes, i have had the pleasure of sitting at the jughandle, so what? it doesn't back up onto 35. one jughandle alone doesn't make it rt 35 through holmdel bad .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,597 times
I also love New Jersey, and agree there are plenty of great towns to live in with low crime and excellent schools! In my opinion 'Traffic' is always going to be an issue everywhere. Obviously, one of the states biggest issues is yes indeed our Taxes, however in my town they are fairly low. Sure its changed over 'thirty' years, so has every state in the nation, that's another subject!
As someone else quoted, every state has its issues,besides traveling I have lived in a couple for short periods of time and New Jersey does indeed have a Quality! As for the 'crowds', if Jersey s*cks so much why is there every license plate parked down at the Shore

Old 07-06-2007, 09:24 AM

10 posts, read 34,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
joe, yes the whole area has been "upgraded" but is that really a good thing? the trade of is that crime is up, traffic can be real bad, try using rt 35 through holmdel, taxes are sky high, and I don't agree with your assessment that the schools are great, check out the state report cards, most of the area high schools are well below state average
I don't know what crime you're talking about? i lived in the area for 30+ years and the only crime I was ever a victim of was an egg thrown at my car the night before Halloween.

Some of the criticisms the people have on this board are hysterical. If you are looking for a crime free town that has good schools and is in close proximity to NYC, I'd tell you to wake up and come back from fantasy land. NJ has over 8.7MIL people. There is always going to be some crime. Unless you live in Antarctica, You won't escape that anywhere on this planet. I have worked in just about every town in NJ and I can count on one hand the ones that I am looking over my shoulder. Ultimately people in NJ have the same "mind your own business" attitude that most people have in dense/urban areas. The majority of crime isn't random. The majority of people getting stabbed was probably already involved in the lifestyle that caused their demise (i.e Drug deals gone bad, Alcoholic..Etc)

All of the benefits that we enjoy come with the price of traffic. There are plenty of traffic free roads in the Midwest. But good luck getting a decent paying job. There's not too many places that have the corporate headquarters of 24 fortune 500 companies (Not even counting NYC).

I think the town that fits some peoples ideal town is Pleasantville. But I'm not talking about Pleasantville right outside AC... I mean Pleasantville in the Toby Maguire movie. The dreamland where everything is perfect that only exists in the mind of a few.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:34 AM

526 posts, read 1,887,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguynj View Post
I am really confused lately about the "state" of the state of Nj. On one hand I read its going downhill with gang activity and of course the soprano jokes I put up with from out of towners.

On the other hand I live in Woodbridge which is a pretty awesome town. I feel safe ,there isnt much crime and the school system is pretty cool. In fact as a transport from NYC dare I say I like New Jersey.......

There are great perks to living in New Jersey and if you cant find a nice town in NJ, you should probably get a new realtor or avoid the jersey bashers.

New jersey is a pretty cool state..or to quote a song.

"gotta admit its gettin betta, gettin betta all the time"

Worse.

I was born and raised in Elizabeth before I moved.

I watched my neighborhood go from a place where we used to leave the doors unlocked to one where it was mandatory to have a gun or a pit bull in the house.

A place where you used to look forward to Saturdays on Broad Street or Sundays at the pier to a place where English is now the second language. (BTW, I'm Caucasian and Hispanic).

And the same thing is happening in plenty of other towns, whether people want to admit it or not. I went to Point Pleasant on Memorial Day (first time in 10 years) and I thought I was in Coney Island.

Now this doesn't apply to every town -- some places have gotten better, but, IMHO, many more have gotten worse.

As already stated, I guess it's all just a matter of perspective.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:00 AM

244 posts, read 971,688 times
I'm constantly on Rt. 35 in Holmdel, and from my perspective, it's not that bad at all, especially compared to other areas in the state. (And we were here in the 70's, and yes, it's definitely changed. But that's everywhere really. We were mostly farm, with little stores on the highway, and so much has changed since those days. But that's a whole other thread).

With the Laurel Ave jug handle (from Rt. 36), I guess knowing the roads so well, I never take it. I know better than to have to sit in that.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:06 PM

308 posts, read 599,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguynj View Post
I am really confused lately about the "state" of the state of Nj. On one hand I read its going downhill with gang activity and of course the soprano jokes I put up with from out of towners.

On the other hand I live in Woodbridge which is a pretty awesome town. I feel safe ,there isnt much crime and the school system is pretty cool. In fact as a transport from NYC dare I say I like New Jersey.......

There are great perks to living in New Jersey and if you cant find a nice town in NJ, you should probably get a new realtor or avoid the jersey bashers.

New jersey is a pretty cool state..or to quote a song.

"gotta admit its gettin betta, gettin betta all the time"

"it cant get no worse"

Old 07-08-2007, 04:13 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,336,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaOnMyMind View Post
"it cant get no worse"
That's what you think....lol. People have been saying that for years around here, and our elected wonderkin continue to prove them wrong.

Bob

Old 07-08-2007, 10:38 AM

185 posts, read 691,537 times
Default Beach Bum - Where do you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbums6 View Post
I also love New Jersey, and agree there are plenty of great towns to live in with low crime and excellent schools! In my opinion 'Traffic' is always going to be an issue everywhere. Obviously, one of the states biggest issues is yes indeed our Taxes, however in my town they are fairly low. Sure its changed over 'thirty' years, so has every state in the nation, that's another subject!
As someone else quoted, every state has its issues,besides traveling I have lived in a couple for short periods of time and New Jersey does indeed have a Quality! As for the 'crowds', if Jersey s*cks so much why is there every license plate parked down at the Shore
Just curious, I'm moving back to NJ very soon.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 AM

244 posts, read 971,688 times
Hi, Carat, where are you moving back from?

Old 07-08-2007, 03:35 PM

308 posts, read 599,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That's what you think....lol. People have been saying that for years around here, and our elected wonderkin continue to prove them wrong.

Bob
The poster I was responding to had used a lyric from the Beatles' song " Getting Better All The Time" in which Paul sings "gotta admit its gettin betta, gettin betta all the time." John follows that with "it cant get no worse." I was being sarcastic. I certainly do believe it can get worse in Jersey, but I really dont want to stick around to find out if it will. It doesnt have to get any worse for me to want to get the heck out of here and hence I have Carolina on my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or