U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:25 AM

859 posts, read 3,101,601 times

Advertisements

My cousins live in Ringwood, I don't like it there at all, too much of the sticks for me, but if you're into that it's pretty.

I think if you're going for suburban in terms of highway access, access to malls etc. Parsipanny and East Hanover and Denville would be my choices. There is traffic here, but you are also near more things.

It's pretty in many areas out near Vernon etc but then you give up convienances, it's a matter of preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 AM

11,569 posts, read 8,799,881 times
Default cities

Denville. Nice. Costs more than Rockaway and less than Morristown.
East Hanover No Idea.
West Milford Nice but has a bear problem from what Im hearing ATM. OK alot of NJ is having bear problems but I have heard 2nd hand its a bit worse there.
Verona No idea.
Lafayette Seems nice. Long haul to the city if you work there.
Sparta. Nice. Long commute again.
Parsippany. I dont know enough about it specifically but general area is nice.
Randolph No idea.
Vernon No idea.
Pequannock. No idea.
Pompton Lakes No idea.
Pompton Plains No idea.
Butler. Rt 23 is the big commercial drag through the area. Good for shopping if convenience is needed. Nice area.
Riverdale Similar to Butler
Kinnelon No idea.
Ringwood. Not enough data other than the cops make the main drag a speed trap.
Branchville No idea.
Jefferson. nice enough once you get off Rt 15.

I didnt see any on the list that screamed crime to me.

Even Dover while certainly not nearly as nice as other parts of Morris/Sussex has a lower crime rate than the US. //www.city-data.com/city/Dover-New-Jersey.html

Old 07-15-2007, 09:29 AM

23 posts, read 103,259 times
"Randolph good but can be tricky if you get the kids from Dover which is not a good town?"

I don't know what do you refer as "tricky" Dover kids don't go to Randolph. Dover has their own school system that goes from pre-k to high school. Dover is a good and safe town. Because Dover has a large hispanic population that doesn't mean that is not a good town!

Old 07-15-2007, 03:06 PM

63 posts, read 230,155 times
Default Sorry Dover is not as nice as Randolph....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ91 View Post
"Randolph good but can be tricky if you get the kids from Dover which is not a good town?"

I don't know what do you refer as "tricky" Dover kids don't go to Randolph. Dover has their own school system that goes from pre-k to high school. Dover is a good and safe town. Because Dover has a large hispanic population that doesn't mean that is not a good town!

It had nothing to do with hispanic????....You said that!!!!!.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:05 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,941,518 times
Thank you guys for the input so far. I have been to most of those towns myself, whether it's been traveling through, shopping or visiting people and know a little about some of them. I've also done some research on a few (mainly West Milford and Vernon but a few others) although I can't say all the research has been very extensive. However, I wanted other peoples' opinions, especially on the ones I don't know as much about (and I don't count solely on the people I know because most is family and of course they'll tell me it's great for the simple fact that I'd move closer to them LOL). Thanks again.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 16,085 times
East Hanover and Parsippany is a great town

Parsippany and East Hanover is close to 280, 80, 78, and 278 which can access to NY, PA, or within NJ plus there is a lot of big company around that area. Great area to live and is a good neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,228,934 times
Default Vernon

Most of Sussex Cty is very nice, rural, rolling hills, a country setting. Can't say much about West Milford, OK I guess have rode through there on several occasions, but I love Vernon, with Highland Lakes (one of the oldest developements in Sussex Cty) several lake communities and Mountain Creek
there school system in my opinion is excellent, homes have gotten expensive
and taxes are a bit high, but then all over NJ its the same. I believe the area
is great for raising a family, only drewback, would be the commute for working in NY or futher South. Another area I like is futher out, Branchville/
Fayette is a nice area close to Rt. 15 there's a little bit more land out there
and its a fairly easy commute to the county seat, Newton. Riverdale/Pompton Lakes or Plains right off Route 23 not a bad area, but with the traffic on 23, I would avoid traveling on 23N or S......too much traffic.

Hope this helps you

Old 07-17-2007, 07:04 PM

10,667 posts, read 6,011,758 times
Default Denville

Moved to Jersey from Texas about 8 years ago and put total faith into my friend/real estate agent as to a good location. We essentially visited all fo the towns she would like to live. Long story short... I ended up in Denville.

So far, my wife and I are enjoying Denville. It is a great town in a rather busy part of new Jersey but manages to maintain its small town feel. One thing to take note is that Denville is divided into sections; North of route 80, South of route 80, and areas close to route 10. Each area has its own "feel" for lack of a better term. I live in the lake community just south of Route 80. Here we have a wonderful lake community with cute small homes that reflect Denville's past history as a summer home community. Many of the houses have been torn down and rebuilt into newer larger homes so the prices can vary. North of Route 80, the price of housing tend to go a bit higher and so is the property... the medium income in the area is high so there is a higher demand for those properties. All the people I have met so far have been pretty friendly.

A 20 min walk from my home and I'm in the middle of Denville's downtown district. Here is the heart of Denville.... 8 years ago, it wasn't doing very well but now things have recovered. This area has become an attraction of sorts for wonderful eats. Cafe Metro (light/vegi), Attillios (Italian), Sergio's (Italian Deli), Mara's (Pastries/lunch/coffee and drinks), and Yama Sushi are among the establishments I frequent. There are many other places that I have yet to try... Hunan (chinese), Indian, Bagel shops, Seafood, sport bar (Fireside), and more. Outside of food there's almost everything you need just in town... Hardware store, Organic food mart, etc...

For the commuter, you can't much better than Denville. You have relatively easy access to Route 80, 46, 53, 287, and 10. Denville train station sits close to Lake Indian and has two lines; Morris-Essex line and Montclair-Booton line. I used to work in NYC and it was wonderful. 1 hour 20 mins put me at Penn Station. On the other hand, Denville's location tends to be a cut through for a commuters... which really makes for traffic just during rush hours.

I don't have first hand knowledge of the educational system but most of my neighbors assure me that its pretty good.. just had a newborn son.

Honestly... I can't really say anything I hate about Denville... Pretty much anything that comes to mind is really a Jersey problem: high cost of living, traffic during my commutes on Route 80, PITA traffic cops, property taxes are just a few... Denville really takes the edge off and makes living in Jersey a good compromise.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:05 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,941,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Moved to Jersey from Texas about 8 years ago and put total faith into my friend/real estate agent as to a good location. We essentially visited all fo the towns she would like to live. Long story short... I ended up in Denville.

So far, my wife and I are enjoying Denville. It is a great town in a rather busy part of new Jersey but manages to maintain its small town feel. One thing to take note is that Denville is divided into sections; North of route 80, South of route 80, and areas close to route 10. Each area has its own "feel" for lack of a better term. I live in the lake community just south of Route 80. Here we have a wonderful lake community with cute small homes that reflect Denville's past history as a summer home community. Many of the houses have been torn down and rebuilt into newer larger homes so the prices can vary. North of Route 80, the price of housing tend to go a bit higher and so is the property... the medium income in the area is high so there is a higher demand for those properties. All the people I have met so far have been pretty friendly.

A 20 min walk from my home and I'm in the middle of Denville's downtown district. Here is the heart of Denville.... 8 years ago, it wasn't doing very well but now things have recovered. This area has become an attraction of sorts for wonderful eats. Cafe Metro (light/vegi), Attillios (Italian), Sergio's (Italian Deli), Mara's (Pastries/lunch/coffee and drinks), and Yama Sushi are among the establishments I frequent. There are many other places that I have yet to try... Hunan (chinese), Indian, Bagel shops, Seafood, sport bar (Fireside), and more. Outside of food there's almost everything you need just in town... Hardware store, Organic food mart, etc...

For the commuter, you can't much better than Denville. You have relatively easy access to Route 80, 46, 53, 287, and 10. Denville train station sits close to Lake Indian and has two lines; Morris-Essex line and Montclair-Booton line. I used to work in NYC and it was wonderful. 1 hour 20 mins put me at Penn Station. On the other hand, Denville's location tends to be a cut through for a commuters... which really makes for traffic just during rush hours.

I don't have first hand knowledge of the educational system but most of my neighbors assure me that its pretty good.. just had a newborn son.

Honestly... I can't really say anything I hate about Denville... Pretty much anything that comes to mind is really a Jersey problem: high cost of living, traffic during my commutes on Route 80, PITA traffic cops, property taxes are just a few... Denville really takes the edge off and makes living in Jersey a good compromise.
Thank you! I've always heard wonderful things about Denville as well. I know the area a little bit but have only driven through it a few times, it is very nice. My aunt who lives in parsippany always says Denville is where she wanted to be but when they moved up there they could only afford Parsippany, (which has made them happy for almost 30 years anyway, so it's a moot point now for them). I also know people who love Atillio's (never ate there myself though). Thanks again.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:28 PM

88 posts, read 200,065 times
I spent all of my childhood in Ringwood so I can answer about those towns near it. My parents moved there in 1967 or so when they could get a house for like 20K or something crazy like that. At that time, it was mostly a summer town, as there are 5 very clean lakes for swimming, boating, ice skating etc and it was cheap. My dad worked in Paramus for many years and had about a 30 minute commute each way. Seemed long to him but in comparison to the rest of the world, it's not too bad. Here's the scoop (I don't live there anymore but my parents still do so I am there 1 or 2X year).

West Milford: Most of what I know is very Republican and very rural. There isn't much variety in the type of people you have, but it's safe and the schools are decent. There aren't any big box stores that I know of and you need a car to get anywhere (no public transport at all). I am not sure where you would be working--did you say NYC? If so, the commute SUCKS. There is a bus but the traffic is dreadful and I would say it's 90 minutes at least each way into downtown Manhattan. I would say though that it is still relatively affordable so that's the trade off. Nice yards, decent home. And yeah, bears are an issue.

Pompton Lakes: Less rural and less homogenous than WM. It's slightly more city-like (in an itty-bitty city way). There are a few bigger stores but not much else. Schools are fine (the HS that was used in the movie In and Out was filmed in Pompton Lakes HS if that matters at all). Commute into the city is a bit shorter and I think it's the same bus line. Actual sidewalks and traffic lights and all.

Ringwood: so torn on my answer! It's a lot like WM, but the NYC commute (same bus) is a bit shorter. I feel like we are less rural, too but that may just be my impression. The schools are actually pretty good--I was surprised when I looked up the stats recently b/c I certainly didn't think so at the time. The HS is Lakeland Regional, FWIW.

The crime is low--nearly non existant, I don't remember anything bigger than parties getting broken up for underage drinking and not that that's not a crime, but it doesn't make me fearful of waling the streets at night. Of course, you wouldn't actually walk the streets at night b/c we have no sidewalks and NOT A SINGLE TRAFFIC LIGHT OR STREET LIGHT. No joking!

There is NOTHING in terms of industry--we got a McDonalds in like 1995 and that is IT for fast food. We have a couple banks, a grocery store and a pizza joint and that's pretty much it. I am not making this up! So you'd have to drive to do anything--movies, clothes shopping, to buy a CD, etc so that is a definite drawback (same as West Milford.)

Having said that, it's small town but not too small town mentality that I feel exists in West Milford (b/c I am biased; WM was our big 'enemy' in HS!) Most of us get the hell out after HS, but still can look back on it kind of fondly. It's got a state park or two and those lakes I mentioned and now that I am in my 30s and have a kid I realize it was not, in fact, the worst place in the world to grow up. It's VERY pretty, surprisingly so for NJ. Oh, we are built into a mountain so you will put a TON of miles on your car each year. And the water is really hard so you'll need a new water heater every 5 years. And the winter sucks of course. Hmm, what else? My parents had well water so we never had to follow that water restrictions from people who get their water from the reservoir like many do. We have septics in our neighborhood (Erskine Lake) but I don't know about the rest of the town (boro).

I am not sure what else to say but feel free to email me with further questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or