Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,343 times

Advertisements

Thank you for any advice you can offer.... I am planning to relocate to the area for a professional position in East Hanover. Which surrounding areas would be good to consider for the following type of rental: 1-2 bdrm, quiet & safe area, ideally < $1500 mo., parking availability, < 1 hour commute. Schools and nightlife are not a concern. Walking and biking areas would be nice, but not necessary.

I would have a vehicle, so am uncertain if proximity to public transportation is necessary.... I would likely use the most efficient option. I would also be open to various types of housing. (No pets, non-smoking.)

Any thoughts about locations would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,343 times
Default Apartment needed in/near East Hanover

Would really appreciate some ideas for areas with a quiet, nice apartment $1K-2K .... Please?

Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
That's pretty fancy area. In general, I'd say you can get something OK for $1500 nearby, but not a luxury place.

However, just for kicks, I came across this complex: Cedar Street Commons - Apartment Rentals in Livingston, NJ | MyNewPlace

It's in Livingston, which is a fabulous town, and it seems to be new. (I never heard of the complex before.) Honestly, the prices posted seem too good to be true, especially for Livingston, but if they're accurate, and the place is as nice as it looks, you could be living in style for $1500!

Also check out Madison, Caldwell, Parsippany, and maybe East Hanover itself (not sure how many apartments are available there). Morristown and West Orange are options too, but they both have some rough areas (although most of each town is very nice).

OOPS. Just found out why the prices are so reasonable. It's age restricted. I knew the rents were too low!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:29 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
You have a lot of options with that budget, very flexible commute time and the fact that you don't care about schools or nightlife.

Since you will have a car, proximity to public transporation won't be a necessity. Actually, East Hanover isn't really a public transportation friendly town anyway. There are buses that go to NYC and Newark, but it is highly unlikely that these buses will stop in many other residential town in which you will probably be living. Anyway, your most efficient route to work will be the one by car.

I'd look in Whippany, Parsippany, Madison, Caldwell, West Orange and Millburn. All of these towns have several apartment complexes in your price range (yes, even Millburn).

If you can pick out some complexes in those towns and give us the addresses, someone here will be able to tell you more about that specific area.

Maybe also consider the Nob Hill apartments in Roseland, right on the border of Livingston. These are a bit pricier...Rent.com says a 1 bedroom there is between $1670 and $1990. It's obviously more than your original desired budget of $1500, but if you're willing to go up to $2000 you can swing it. It is a nice complex...kind of an enclosed little community...I think it has tennis courts and stuff like that.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
Default Go West! (or Northwest)

At times, new posters have unreasonable expectations of what they can find in New Jersey... where, with what amentities, on a train or bus line, within 15 minutes of Manhattan, for low pricing, blah blah blah, etc. That makes it very difficult for we who post regularly to be helpful. But you're NOT like that!

Indeed, in your post, I see the opposite. There are so many places that fit your requirements, it makes it difficult to narrow them down -- dozens of towns and hundreds of housing communities.

If you want "quiet" (less congestion?) with walking and biking areas (more green space?), then from East Hanover -- go WEST! -- due west, southwest, or northwest. I am biased toward the northwest -- solely because it's the area I know better.

Since schools and night life are unimportant, I'd recommend Boonton... (not that its schools are bad or nightlife is non-existent. Schools and nightlife are average, so people aren't paying extra bucks just to be there.)

A little further north, I'd consider the Butler area. The Butler area is the gateway to the Skylands... watershed areas with a lot of green open space. (Butler Ridge Apartments has newly remodeled 2BRs for under $1000, and the commute to East Hanover shouldn't be more than half an hour.)

So that's the scoop. I hope this helps you finds a place you really like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey