Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,740,418 times

Advertisements

Has something changed?? My husband told me that a couple of guys he works with were getting one. I know for sure they make more than $75k/yr. Have the rules changed at all? Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,948,159 times
The only change in the 2009 Homestead Rebate is that instead of getting a check mailed to you (or a direct deposit into your checking account) a few weeks after filing the rebate application...i.e., sometime in the late summer or fall of 2010, they are instead CREDITING the rebate amount due to you, on your 2011 second quarter property taxes...i.e., your township will send you a revised tax bill sometime after April 2011.

The income criteria for qualifying for the rebate remain the same:

If you are 65 years old or older, OR blind or disabled, the income limit is $150,000.
If you are UNDER 65 years old, and NOT blind or disabled, the income limit is $75,000.

Perhaps the guys your husband works with are 65 years old or older? Or disabled in some way? Or, it's possible that they were laid off for a portion of 2009 and didn't make as much money as you may think?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:15 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,740,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
The only change in the 2009 Homestead Rebate is that instead of getting a check mailed to you (or a direct deposit into your checking account) a few weeks after filing the rebate application...i.e., sometime in the late summer or fall of 2010, they are instead CREDITING the rebate amount due to you, on your 2011 second quarter property taxes...i.e., your township will send you a revised tax bill sometime after April 2011.

The income criteria for qualifying for the rebate remain the same:

If you are 65 years old or older, OR blind or disabled, the income limit is $150,000.
If you are UNDER 65 years old, and NOT blind or disabled, the income limit is $75,000.

Perhaps the guys your husband works with are 65 years old or older? Or disabled in some way? Or, it's possible that they were laid off for a portion of 2009 and didn't make as much money as you may think?

No, they weren't laid off and all are highly skilled and make quite a bit of money.

However, it is possible that maybe one of their dependents are disabled, that I wouldn't know about.

Thank you for the information. The husband was getting on me about not getting the rebate and I told him we didn't qualify. That's when he told me a couple of the guys at work were going over their applications for it and they make more than he does.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,525,272 times
I helped one of my elderly relatives fill theirs out and instead of sending it in you have to either call on the phone and punch the numbers in or go online and they process it online giving you a verification code and receipt you can print on your pc. I think maybe in earlier years you used to mail it in.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:13 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,948,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
No, they weren't laid off and all are highly skilled and make quite a bit of money.

However, it is possible that maybe one of their dependents are disabled, that I wouldn't know about.

Thank you for the information. The husband was getting on me about not getting the rebate and I told him we didn't qualify. That's when he told me a couple of the guys at work were going over their applications for it and they make more than he does.
Well, I don't think a dependent being disabled would qualify you for a higher income limit.

However, it only takes 5 minutes (not even) to fill out the application online...maybe you should just do it and see what happens. Worse case scenario---you're right...you don't qualify and you can tell your husband, "I told you so." On the other hand, maybe you DO qualify. In any case, filling out the application will get your DH off your back!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:47 PM

11 posts, read 49,185 times
I also received the rebate form, I didn't know their was an income limit and no i'm not blind or over 65, i submitted it anyway.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,503 times
I am filling out the rebate form. I am confused about the exclusions. I believe my mlitary pension is not taxable. But what about social security and teachers retirment income?

Old 05-15-2012, 03:13 PM

11,301 posts, read 16,604,438 times
HMMM???

Wonder if one person on the deed is over 65 (the other one isn't) and the income in under $150,000 if they would qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey