U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 AM

220 posts, read 565,203 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am going to start getting estimates to finish my attic into a Master Bedroom. I would like a half bath with a couple of skylights. The attic is about 700 square feet and I live in the South Jersey area. I got one estimate where the guy told me that it would be at least $30K. Does this sound high to anyone? Can someone give me a reasonable price range that I should be looking to hear?

If anyone has any contractor suggestions, please Direct Message me with the info.

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:39 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,272,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzSJP View Post
Hi everyone!

I am going to start getting estimates to finish my attic into a Master Bedroom. I would like a half bath with a couple of skylights. The attic is about 700 square feet and I live in the South Jersey area. I got one estimate where the guy told me that it would be at least $30K. Does this sound high to anyone? Can someone give me a reasonable price range that I should be looking to hear?

If anyone has any contractor suggestions, please Direct Message me with the info.

Thanks!!
I would say you should be in the $20K-$35K range depending on what you are asking for.

30K doesn't sound too crazy, maybe a little high...There is a lot that goes into finishing an attic

1/2 bath: They have to run the roughing in plus all fixtures framing etc( if you have the space you might as well put a full bath up there since its not saving that much money by ditching the shower and a full bath will have a better impact on your resale value.

Skylights: Tearing up a portion of the roof, faming sky lights and repairing the flashing around it

Heating: You will also need to run heating roughing, have heating units installed as well as insulation.

Flooring, you'll need a new subfloor and carpeting at the least.

Framing and Sheetrock: No small task, especially since you will be building in closets and probably a knee wall.

Egress Widows, most windows in attics do not meet code for egress in which case they have to be replaced and possibly the area re-framed. Also 50% of your finished space must have a ceiling height of 7'6" or greater to be classified as a bedroom.

Angie's List s a great resource for contractor's but you do have to pay. I would strongly recommend consulting it for a job of this size. Also whatever time a contractor says it will take to finish the job double it! Make sure you get permits..no matter what your friends or contractors say. The building inspector is your friend when it comes to major renovations! Good luck!

Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 PM

5,440 posts, read 16,036,418 times
curious what if you make the space and it doesn't have a 7'6 ceiling height on 50% of the space... can it be a play room? You can't legally sleep there?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,272,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
curious what if you make the space and it doesn't have a 7'6 ceiling height on 50% of the space... can it be a play room? You can't legally sleep there?
lol! You can't legally "call" it a bedroom. It's your house you can do whatever you want with it, I doubt a building inspector will be coming by once the furniture is in.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 PM

220 posts, read 565,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I would say you should be in the $20K-$35K range depending on what you are asking for.

30K doesn't sound too crazy, maybe a little high...There is a lot that goes into finishing an attic

1/2 bath: They have to run the roughing in plus all fixtures framing etc( if you have the space you might as well put a full bath up there since its not saving that much money by ditching the shower and a full bath will have a better impact on your resale value.

Skylights: Tearing up a portion of the roof, faming sky lights and repairing the flashing around it

Heating: You will also need to run heating roughing, have heating units installed as well as insulation.

Flooring, you'll need a new subfloor and carpeting at the least.

Framing and Sheetrock: No small task, especially since you will be building in closets and probably a knee wall.

Egress Widows, most windows in attics do not meet code for egress in which case they have to be replaced and possibly the area re-framed. Also 50% of your finished space must have a ceiling height of 7'6" or greater to be classified as a bedroom.

Angie's List s a great resource for contractor's but you do have to pay. I would strongly recommend consulting it for a job of this size. Also whatever time a contractor says it will take to finish the job double it! Make sure you get permits..no matter what your friends or contractors say. The building inspector is your friend when it comes to major renovations! Good luck!
Thanks a lot for this feedback. I have came across Angie's List once or twice, but I will definitely look into it more.

The half bath will be more like a powder room (sink, vanity, and toilet) I think that's all I have room for. The eletric and windows are good to go, so hopefully I can save some money in those areas. Thanks again!!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:01 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,855,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
lol! You can't legally "call" it a bedroom. It's your house you can do whatever you want with it, I doubt a building inspector will be coming by once the furniture is in.
I think what he means is that sure you can do whatever you want with the space, but no one is going to pay 3 bedroom money for a 2 bedroom house (which is what the house will classify as if it doesnt meet code) when it's time to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>