Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 24,531 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move to New Jersey along with my family. I will really appreciate if someone can provide me the info for my following requirements
> Travel to NY, Bronx area by public transportation
> Looking for 1BR, my budget is $900-$1100
> looking accomodation in Indian community
> Safe and good neighbourhood
> nearby to Indian shops

Also, which areas are good to stay and which areas should be avoided.

Any pointers for vacant apartments or rental agents are appreciated.

Thanks and regards
Mayur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 04:59 PM

11,291 posts, read 16,570,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayur View Post
Hi,

I am planning to move to New Jersey along with my family. I will really appreciate if someone can provide me the info for my following requirements
> Travel to NY, Bronx area by public transportation
> Looking for 1BR, my budget is $900-$1100
> looking accomodation in Indian community
> Safe and good neighbourhood
> nearby to Indian shops

Also, which areas are good to stay and which areas should be avoided.

Any pointers for vacant apartments or rental agents are appreciated.

Thanks and regards
Mayur

Wait!!! You're moving here with your family and looking for a 1 bedroom???

Old 03-11-2007, 05:10 PM

Hi MPBsr,

I have a small family, husband,wife and 1 yr kid. Also my earnings are not more..getting $64K

Old 03-11-2007, 06:19 PM

11,291 posts, read 16,570,887 times
Not sure about rents, but since you're looking for an Indian community. Best bet would be Iselin. There is a train at Metropark that would take you into NYC and then you would need to switch to a NYC subway. Not sure of the costs or time, but I'm sure the total trip would be over one hour.

Do a search for NJ transit and NYC (New York Penn Station) subway. Should get an idea of costs and time.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:22 PM

209 posts, read 1,680,829 times
Any commute where you head to NY Penn Station on NJ Transit and then take a train to the Bronx will be a very long one. And consider where in the Bronx you need to go--there are only two subway lines right at Penn Station and only one goes into the Bronx (the 1/2/3). I would guess 1 hr 15 mins each way.

There might be parts of Westchester where you can find a modest 1 bedroom for $1000 or so per month (although not very many, maybe Yonkers). You are more likely to find it in parts of the Bronx but of course safety can be a concern in parts. You could look at Riverdale, but I am not sure there would be something there for $1000/mo.

You could also try Jersey City--the Journal Square area has a relatively large Indian community (with a fair number of restaurants and shops), and there is good access to Penn Station in ~20 mins, from which you can continue a commute to the Bronx via subway. You very well may find something in that area for $1000/mo.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,047,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownjc View Post
Any commute where you head to NY Penn Station on NJ Transit and then take a train to the Bronx will be a very long one. And consider where in the Bronx you need to go--there are only two subway lines right at Penn Station and only one goes into the Bronx (the 1/2/3). I would guess 1 hr 15 mins each way.

There might be parts of Westchester where you can find a modest 1 bedroom for $1000 or so per month (although not very many, maybe Yonkers). You are more likely to find it in parts of the Bronx but of course safety can be a concern in parts. You could look at Riverdale, but I am not sure there would be something there for $1000/mo.

You could also try Jersey City--the Journal Square area has a relatively large Indian community (with a fair number of restaurants and shops), and there is good access to Penn Station in ~20 mins, from which you can continue a commute to the Bronx via subway. You very well may find something in that area for $1000/mo.
Jersey City has gotten very expensive especially the around around Journal Square & JC Heights. It isn't much cheaper than most of Brooklyn or Queens.

A one bedroom will most likely cost a minimum of $1,500 a month + Utilities and over $2,000 in downtown JC near the Grove Street PATH station. When your rent budget is $900 - $1,000 you really don't have many options on neighborhoods (unless you have lived in a rent stabilized apartment in NYC for many years).

Maybe the OP can look in the northeast Bronx around the co-op city or Throgs Neck area. Other parts of the Bronx aren't that safe. And Riverdale?? You have to be kidding me to suggest the most expensive part of the Bronx

Old 03-21-2007, 09:31 AM

29 posts, read 138,708 times
Edison has a large Indian population and you could probably find a one bed there, its close to Iselin-Metro Park for the train. Somerset has a large population also as does North Brunswick....one bedroom down the street from where I live in Somerset is a nice complex (Franklin Greens one bed is 980) with a pool and about a block from a Stop and Shop, Kmart and several Indian restaurants and markets and walking distance to Easton Ave where you can get a bus to New Brunswick. There are actually several apt complexes to choose from that aren't expensive (Easton North where one beds are $1015)...that are walking distance to that bus that can take you to New Brunswick (which is a 5-10 min drive) to catch a train or to the bus station there....I worked in NY until a few years ago, took the bus to port authority...took an hour from New Brunswick....

Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 AM

29 posts, read 138,708 times
....also those complexes I mentioned are safe and clean and also have a large population of Indian families. Somerset is a very diverse community and I think you would be very comfortable here. Most of the elementary schools are about 10-20% Asian and the high school is about 11% Asian.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Smile Thanks everybody

I would like to thanks everybody for your advices and really appreciate your help. I going to get a good apt on 73rd st, north bergen, near Tonnelle ave.
Can someone please provide me the feedback on this area, specially concering the safety there?

Mayur

Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 16,573 times
Smile Don't Be Scared...

If you are scared of Asbury Park and don't want to get shot, then don't buy your drugs here. Otherwise this is a great town. What you've heard is true, this is an artsy community with a diverse culture.
To help this city regain its splendor, we need to forget the prejudices' of the past and enjoy, today, what it has to offer.
Try stopping by Cookman ave. instead of doing a drive-by of the boardwalk. Get out of your car and you will find successful high end retail stores, galleries, antiques and casual, fun and fine dining. You will also find high end martini bars and casual local bars. We have First Night and community events- film festivals, guitar offs, jazz festivals, BBQ competitions, etc. We have Rock and roll and Theater life. Boardwalk and Beach.
Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey