Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sbYmeNZst0

They act like bullies......and are destroying are freedoms....by limiting what we can and can't do. This also applies to cars , ive been ticketed for filming in or near Tunnels by the PA.....they said its banned....yet don't post any signage....wheres the ACLU? Ive been harrased at Secaucus JCT , Newark and NYP.....even with the photo policy in my hand.... They say its for security reasons , yet i don't buy that one bit.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,887,137 times
On their property, they do have the right to keep you from taking pictures.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
On their property, they do have the right to keep you from taking pictures.
Its public transit.....same goes for Highways....

Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,106 times
This must all be Obama's fault. Next time those cops see someone filming they should arrest them. I wouldnt trust them and they are only looking for trouble. Lock the up now!!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,095 times
FDU..... Lord help you..

There are ordinances in place for any commercial filming in Secaucus. NJ Transit would not address that issue unless they have similar rules in place. Train "fans" are not that unusual in the area.

NJ/ Norfolk Southern will have an issue if you are in areas not accessible to passengers and non-employees such as track areas or the switching yards of Croxton.

Years back we frequently dealt with people in the yards photographing the equipment. For obvious reasons they would not permit anyone on the tracks. I did take a lot of photos when I worked that area and it was slow. Even got some from inside the engines.

Loved the old roundhouse. Like a big Lionel train set. Several years back I took a senic ride on a steam engine that left from I believe the Maywood area to upstate NY.

These were from a trip up to northern NH in Conway. A real train fanatic's playground.as many run and tour the mountain region.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/rscalzo/IMG_0838.jpg (broken link)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/rscalzo/IMG_0837.jpg (broken link)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/rscalzo/IMG_0830.jpg (broken link)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/rscalzo/IMG_0828.jpg (broken link)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/rscalzo/IMG_0822.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,670,481 times
I'm all for free speech, but there has to be considerations for security. Threats to Mass Transit systems are well documented. Due in part to the increased security measures, the US has not had an attack like ones seen overseas(except of course 9-11 which really is in a category by itself). I'm sorry that you aren't allowed to take pictures inside the train station but I'm actually relieved to hear that cops and security are actively discouraging this type of activity in stations, terminals, bridges and tunnels.

Train bombings
2004 Madrid train bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Real Story: The Moscow Train Bombing Was A Conflict Over Oil

BBC NEWS | UK | London bombings toll rises to 37

Planned Bombing of NYC subway

Man admits NYC subway bomb plot - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I'm all for free speech, but there has to be considerations for security. Threats to Mass Transit systems are well documented. Due in part to the increased security measures, the US has not had an attack like ones seen overseas(except of course 9-11 which really is in a category by itself). I'm sorry that you aren't allowed to take pictures inside the train station but I'm actually relieved to hear that cops and security are actively discouraging this type of activity in stations, terminals, bridges and tunnels.

Train bombings
2004 Madrid train bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Real Story: The Moscow Train Bombing Was A Conflict Over Oil

BBC NEWS | UK | London bombings toll rises to 37

Planned Bombing of NYC subway

Man admits NYC subway bomb plot - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
do we really know that we haven't had attacked due to increases in security? sure, I can't stand on a platform with professional camera equipment, and obviously take photos or videos - but with all the high tech gadgets out there, if i wanted to do some recon at a station, there's plenty of small equipment. you honestly believe these draconian measures prevent anyone other than hobbyists from taking pictures and filming?

if you honestly believe these silly measures have done much of anything for security, i feel badly for you. i'm tired of giving up personal liberties in public spaces in the name of "security".

Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,525,108 times
they think your a terrorist if your filming train stuff.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:43 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,984,654 times
Sorry, tried really hard to get outraged... just couldn't do it.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,670,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
do we really know that we haven't had attacked due to increases in security? sure, I can't stand on a platform with professional camera equipment, and obviously take photos or videos - but with all the high tech gadgets out there, if i wanted to do some recon at a station, there's plenty of small equipment. you honestly believe these draconian measures prevent anyone other than hobbyists from taking pictures and filming?

if you honestly believe these silly measures have done much of anything for security, i feel badly for you. i'm tired of giving up personal liberties in public spaces in the name of "security".
Feel bad for me if you will but I do believe that increased vigilance leads to a more secure environment. The bottom line is that if you don't give security/police specific things to look out for and enforce they become lazy/complacent and less likely to spot trouble. That is a fact not a belief. Does prohibiting photography and videography itself actually make us safer? Probably not, but it is such an insignificant sacriifce that I feel badly for anyone who let's it ruin their day.In the big picture there is no question in my mind that the increased vigilance it promotes leads to a more secure environment.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 01-14-2011 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey