Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 PM

40 posts, read 227,067 times

Advertisements

My husband started a job in Whippany, NJ on November 1st while I am stuck here in Texas trying to sell our house. He is staying with my cousin in Princeton (Lawrenceville) and we really like that area and want to be close to my cousin but my cousin is very wealthy and I sense that area is expensive. It takes my husband one hour to get to work in whippany from my lawrenceville and he does not mind the commute.

Our high range for a house is $450,000 and I know a couple of years ago this would have gotten us a shack but I know we could find a nice house in that price range now.
SO....... I am wanted to know about Belle Mead, Skillman, Pennington, Hopewell, Hillsborough or any other area anyone thinks would be good between Whippany and Princeton. I have 3 children, one in high school and 2 in elementary school so I am looking for really good schools. Are all cities in NJ high in Taxes?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Pennington and Hopewell may be in the wrong direction depending on where in those towns you are.

And pretty much any city with a good school district is going to have high taxes. And some that have not so good school districts also have high taxes.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 AM

133 posts, read 502,706 times
You might want to look into Robinsville in Mercer County. It is cheaper than West Windsor, Hopewell, Montgomery, Cranbury and Pennington and it has a good school district. They just built a brand new highschool too. Check out: greatschools.net for the school district ratings. It is a great website.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Brunswicks an option?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Default Whippany in 1 hour?

is he taking the Space Shuttle?

If you're looking for a "half-way" point, the Bridgewater area might be a good spot. I live in East Brunswick and it has very good schools and easy access to the NJ Turnpike, GSP, Rte. 1 and Rte 287. Houses range from around $300K - $1 million and up. Taxes are fairly high but nothing like you might see in towns like Mendham or Montclair. It has some farms left for a bit of a country feel, but is mostly suburban.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:14 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
The commute from Lawrenceville to Whippany will become tiresome real quick. Look closer to Whippany, much closer.
Go visit you cousin on the weekends.
Central NJ is one large traffic jam during commuter hrs. Look in Northern Somerset County or Morris County.
We retired out of NJ after 60+ years and one of the reasons was the traffic.

Texas might be the bigger state but NJ has the biggest traffic problem.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:21 PM

300 posts, read 914,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
You might want to look into Robinsville in Mercer County. It is cheaper than West Windsor, Hopewell, Montgomery, Cranbury and Pennington and it has a good school district. They just built a brand new highschool too. Check out: greatschools.net for the school district ratings. It is a great website.
Nothing personal, but above recommendation is classic example of you should not trust what you get out on forums. Robinsville no doubt is excellent idea but considering his job location you cannot be more wrong, poor guy will be torn crossing rt 1, cutting through Princeton and Bridgewater to get to Whippany.
Or other alternative for him would be go through turnpike and take 287, good luck with that too.

I am not very much familiar with norther jersey but I can recommend staying north of Princeton, as some one mentioned Hillsborough is not bad option but it is one of the typical towns where it has mostly uppper middle class families with children with no revenue source in terms of industries, offices or shopping. So property tax there will always be higher than other places.

I think Bridgewater and anything west, east and north will be better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey