U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 AM

2,434 posts, read 2,252,119 times

Advertisements

Could a teacher or parent that is familiar with any type of merit pay system at a private or parochial school provide details on the basic format of the system and how it is implemented.
I think it would be interesting to get an idea on actual merit pay systems and how they actually work.
Are merit pay systems common at private schools?

Last edited by tom1944; 10-30-2010 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: spelling
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 12:54 PM

Does merit pay even exist at private/parochial schools or is this something that is to be foisted against public school teachers to control their salaries?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 AM

I will bump this up.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:21 AM

153 posts, read 611,307 times
I am not a teacher, but I think it would be difficult to do an entirely merit based system for teachers. Who would 'judge' the teachers performance, anyone I can think of would be biased. You can't just go by test scores, some kids are horrible at testing; and it would be unfair to judge an honors teacher the same as a college prep teacher, etc.. I think some kind of bonus structure would be better than straight merit pay. For instance, if the administrators and the individual teachers laid out a plan and meet or exceed a goal for themselves by the end of each year in order to obtain a bonus, that would be a fair structure. Again I'm not a teach so I don't know how feasible that would be, but it's an idea.
Anyone else have any ideas..comments..

Old 10-31-2010, 08:36 AM

That is why I am interested in hearing about plans for merit pay that currently exist. I want to see if these are working. Not every industry can or does have merit pay so maybe education can not. I just want some data before I form an opinion. I hear the merit pay mantra over and over but want to know how.
I have many friends and relatives that work for private employers the range of merit pay that makes up their compensation is varied. For some it makes up 80% of their compensation for others it makes up zero. I do know that every industry uses merit pay differently and every company measures merit differently also.
So when people say teachers should be given raises on merit "like the rest of us" what does that mean because there really is no "like the rest of us" since every industry and company is different.
It appears that private and parochial schools do not have widely know merit pay systems. Maybe merit pay model does not work in education and politicians are creating a distraction by throwing that out there.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:22 PM

249 posts, read 696,653 times
I don't know of any private schools that use merit pay systems, but a huge difference if they did is that private and parochial schools can get rid of kids that are not performing. I know people that teach in charter schools and they say that the same thing happens there. When kids are known behavior problems, they find reasons to not re-enroll them the next year.

I can't tell parents that a student is a constant problem in the classroom so they need to take them somewhere else to be educated. I can't tell them that their child that entered my classroom reading two, three and four years below grade level need to find another place to learn.

Everyone is on this merit pay bandwagon because Obama or Christie or whoever else talks about it, so people believe that it must be a great idea. Education is not business. What works in a business environment dealing with production or sales does not work with humans. We're talking about kids that learn at all different levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey