U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:47 AM

19,011 posts, read 27,691,204 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be working in the 42nd/43rd street/avenue of the americas area. The Bank of America tower to be precise.

I'll be very happy with a 30 minute commute which will not drive me nuts.

My coworkers were speaking about living in Hoboken or Jersey City.

Which of these two would be the best to reach my work in half an hour or so, or any other city in Jersey that's a good bet. Are there good facilities to park and ride?

Please shed some insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 03:44 PM

4,896 posts, read 10,967,619 times
If you want a 30-minute commute then your only options are JC and Hoboken, and even then, 30 minutes is a stretch. I used to commute from downtown Jersey City to 27th & Park every day and it took about 35 minutes door to door on a good day. It took 10 minutes to walk to the Newport Path, then a 15 minute Path ride to 23rd St., and then about a 10 - 15 minute walk to Park Ave. Assuming you will be taking the Path, you'll have to take it to 33rd St. and then walk or subway to 43rd St. The thing I never liked about Hoboken is that the Path train is not convenient unless you live in the southeast corner of town. Otherwise it's a hike from other parts of Hoboken. I know people that used to have to take a jitney and that takes a lot of time, but so does walking to the station if you don't live close by.
You could also consider bus options from Fort Lee, or the ferry from Hoboken or Weehawken, but the ferry is quite pricey from what I've heard,and then you need to take a bus from the ferry dock into midtown.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:33 PM

Thank you

Now, question. In this link, there are four subsections under Jersey. Where would Hoboken and Jersey City fall under??

I did a search on hoboken and got results, but I am curious about the state divisions.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:18 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,008,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm going to be working in the 42nd/43rd street/avenue of the americas area. The Bank of America tower to be precise.

I'll be very happy with a 30 minute commute which will not drive me nuts.

My coworkers were speaking about living in Hoboken or Jersey City.

Which of these two would be the best to reach my work in half an hour or so, or any other city in Jersey that's a good bet. Are there good facilities to park and ride?

Please shed some insight.
Consider Hoboken & the ferry shuttle into the city. They usually run every 20 minutes and it's an 8-10 minute ride into West 39th Street. From there you can grab a bus.

New York Attractions - NY Waterway

Old 10-31-2010, 07:28 AM

71,427 posts, read 67,487,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
If you want a 30-minute commute then your only options are JC and Hoboken, and even then, 30 minutes is a stretch. I used to commute from downtown Jersey City to 27th & Park every day and it took about 35 minutes door to door on a good day. It took 10 minutes to walk to the Newport Path, then a 15 minute Path ride to 23rd St., and then about a 10 - 15 minute walk to Park Ave. Assuming you will be taking the Path, you'll have to take it to 33rd St. and then walk or subway to 43rd St. The thing I never liked about Hoboken is that the Path train is not convenient unless you live in the southeast corner of town. Otherwise it's a hike from other parts of Hoboken. I know people that used to have to take a jitney and that takes a lot of time, but so does walking to the station if you don't live close by.
You could also consider bus options from Fort Lee, or the ferry from Hoboken or Weehawken, but the ferry is quite pricey from what I've heard,and then you need to take a bus from the ferry dock into midtown.
What ansky says is correct. We often see unrealistic commute "wants" on the Jersey forum. The fact of the matter is that a mile-wide river separates New Jersey from Manhattan, and there are a limited number of ways to cross that river, and there are a few hundred thousand people trying to do the same thing at approximately the same time every day.

So, for example, while the PATH ride I take from Hoboken Terminal to 23rd Street is about 14 minutes long, to say I have a 14-minute commute would be false. (Not even taking into consideration that I have an hour-and-twenty-minute NJ Transit train ride to Hoboken in the first place.) Once I get to 23rd Street, it takes me about 8 minutes to walk to my building. Unless you live at Hoboken terminal, which some people apparently do until they close the waiting room at 1 a.m., it will take you time to get to the terminal, to walk downstairs to the PATH platforms, where it is unlikely that a train will be waiting that will immediately close its doors and zoom away as soon as YOU step on.

The minimum commute, even for someone who lives in Hoboken or Jersey city, is probably 30 minutes.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:23 AM

Alriiiiiiighty, some famous CD names live in the garden state I see. I'll plan the double date with robee and her mighty majesty after I move just kidding LMAO, unrealistic expectations, wheeeeee!!!

Thanks for the insight, everyone. It has dawned on me I will screw myself if I live in Jersey. From Penn station I will need to walk 15 minutes to work, and I'm more than a slacker. I can't make it to work at 9 sharp even in North Carolina.

I'm looking up places along the new haven and Harlem lines, which will drop me in grand central. That way I walk 5 minutes

Am I even making the right decision here?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 AM

71,427 posts, read 67,487,762 times
Quote:
Alriiiiiiighty, some famous CD names live in the garden state I see. I'll plan the double date with robee and her mighty majesty after I move just kidding LMAO, unrealistic expectations, wheeeeee!!!

Thanks for the insight, everyone. It has dawned on me I will screw myself if I live in Jersey. From Penn station I will need to walk 15 minutes to work, and I'm more than a slacker. I can't make it to work at 9 sharp even in North Carolina.

I'm looking up places along the new haven and Harlem lines, which will drop me in grand central. That way I walk 5 minutes

Of course not. You won't be in New Jersey. It's the best place to live.

Commuting makes you smarter, because you have time to read.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,170,180 times
Quote:

As others pointed out a true 30 minute door to door commute is tough. You're not going to get it on any of the NY train lines you mentioned unless you literally live next to the train station and sprint to the train as it pulls up in the station.

Your best chance.... If you grab an apartment in The Shipyard complex in Hoboken you can have a 30 minute commute. The Ferry is right there and there are 2 Free NY Waterway buses that stop on 42nd and 6th. That is the only way to have a true door to door 30 minute commute.

The Ferry Ride is 8 minutes, you'd have to leave your apartment say 3 minutes early...so there is 11 minutes...you'd spend 2 minutes departing the ferry and boarding the bus...5 minutes waiting on the bus for it to load and leave...now you're at 18 minutes...then about 10 more minutes to get to 42nd and 6th....leaving you 2 full minutes to walk up a block and into your office

Ferry Pass is $252/month but you won't need a metro card.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM

9,151 posts, read 9,761,041 times
Quote:

Do you have to live in the suburbs?

Old 11-01-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Do you have to live in the suburbs?
I'm engaged and counting days to my marriage. Fiancée will move soon. So I am not really looking for the buzz and nightlife. A quiet life would be fine for now I guess

I just need gyms and grocery stores and driving distance to some shops.

So now my top three criteria are close to a train, close to the gym and close to the shop. I can drive to the rest. The train is way too important. Coz I hear parking at stations is a 8 year wait and I was like wow, so park and ride is ruled out

Westchester county fits the bill a lot. But I am hearing really nice things about Jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey