U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 PM

3 posts, read 14,625 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone has some good advice! Just moved from the Midwest to nj and just found out were having our first baby and need a recommendation on a great female ob/gyn in the Hudson county or Essex county area.

I am very VERY interested in natural childbirth/ water birth but want the convenience of a nearby/connected hospital just in case. Anyone have any recommendations of a nice facility?

Also recommendations for a midwife/doula would be great.

Help! Dont even know where to start! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 AM

143 posts, read 398,157 times
I used Dr. Whalen from Milburn office of Summit Med Group for my third child's delivery & really liked her.
However, not sure if she would fit your specific needs as I went the traditional vaginal birth route. Also it is a big group of doctors, some in the group I didn't care for.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 AM

5,440 posts, read 16,161,520 times
danilee i would try contacting holistic moms of whatever county (they are pretty localized) and or la leche league if you really want a home birth. join these and ask around and people will be able to help. i could around here but we are in bergen county. my sisters midwife says she is full and can't take any more clients also.

In a hospital you may be arguing to not get meds. the first thing they want to do is stick you with a needle and get you ready for your epidural. there is no reason you cannot do it naturally in a hospital but you need your husband and a doula who preferably has experience and knows the people AT that hospital to be your advocates.

It is sort of like do you want your doctors, nurses, etc. behind you or against you. We (my wife) just had a baby in the hospital and we were wonderfully lucky and a little prepared. we showed up at the hospital at 7:30 and the baby was out by 08:30 with not even a needle poked in my wife. that was not coincidental or anything , we had been reading and planning for it for months.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 AM

Thank you for your reply! It does seem that everyone is always trying to talk you into being drugged, poked and prodded. I will check into the sites that you suggested. I really hope not all the good midwives and doulas are taken! I don't know what I'll do! If you can think of anything else, even a good book suggestion, let me know! Thanks again!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 AM

49 posts, read 144,186 times
If you are willing to go over to Morristown Memorial, Dr Judy Banks is supposed to be wonderful! We have a doula friend who had a water birth with her a couple months ago. Morristown is really the only north Jersey hospital where you can have waterbirths (they used to do them at Hackettstown Hospitals but the midwives are leaving for Morristown in a couple months).

There are 2 midwife groups at Morristown - Avalon and Hackettstown midwives. However, they both have several midwives in the group and not all are "equal" as far as supportive of natural birth.

Dr Winsome Parchment was also suggested through the local Holistic moms group for natural birth but she is down at Mountainside Hospital.

And good luck with the natural birth! That's what my wife did the 2nd time after an awful cesarean. NJ has a really high cesarean rate to keep that in mind when choosing a provider. We wanted a natural birth the first time but we had a midwife who proved to be terrible and pushed a lot of intervention on us (she's not practicing anymore though).

Old 11-01-2010, 01:04 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,336,934 times
I would highly recommend the Aquatic team at Six Flags in Jackson,NJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLTRW...has_verified=1

Sorry I am in a mood today and I couldn't resist, congrats on the baby, hope you have a happy,safe and healthy pregnancy/delivery whichever way you choose to go.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 AM

12,546 posts, read 20,503,735 times
my wife goes to dr. saitta and has been happy with her so far. she was looking into midwives as well, but don't know how far she got. we're going to deliver at st barnabas.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 AM

Thank you so much for your helpful information! I will look into your suggestions.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilee4me View Post
Hoping someone has some good advice! Just moved from the Midwest to nj and just found out were having our first baby and need a recommendation on a great female ob/gyn in the Hudson county or Essex county area.

I am very VERY interested in natural childbirth/ water birth but want the convenience of a nearby/connected hospital just in case. Anyone have any recommendations of a nice facility?

Also recommendations for a midwife/doula would be great.

Help! Dont even know where to start! Thank you!
Hi Danilee:

I am the Founder and Holistic Maternity and Pediatrics Practitioner of Organic Mommy and Baby Healthcare Solutions, based in Hudson County/NNJ and NYC. My office provides holistic healthcare sessions and products for moms and babies, including holistic birth doula care. Please visit our site at [url=http://www.WholeCreations.com]Whole Creations - Health Consultations/Private Sessions via telephone and in NYC and NNJ, Online Women's/Maternity Health Courses, Holistic Birth Doula Care, Online Products for Your Maternity Healthcare Needs. Non-Maternity Healthcare Sessions are a[/url] to learn more and contact us with any questions or to schedule appointments.

Take care,
Nicole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey