Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:02 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

I voted before work. I'm glad our polls open at 6, rather than 7 like PA. One complaint, I didn't understand the public question, even the interpretive statement. I had to call a friend yesterday who interpreted it for me in simple English. Most times I do get the interpretive statement, and have to wonder if they wanted voters to be confused about this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 03:49 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I see my issue has transcended state lines. I had the same problem, just having voted, but I did so with little enthusiasm.

Here's another reason to vote, though: constitutional amendments and/or bond questions. These are often overlooked, but they have more impact, potentially, than who is running for a particular office.
same here - there's been no change in 30+ years here, not hopeful they'll be any after tonight.

totally agreed about the questions even though last election i TOTALLY forgot about voting on it.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:08 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
same here - there's been no change in 30+ years here, not hopeful they'll be any after tonight.

totally agreed about the questions even though last election i TOTALLY forgot about voting on it.
The ballot supervisor of elections where I live conveniently put it on the flip side of the paper, Tahiti. I wonder how many didn't bother to turn their ballot around to see it. IMO, that's where the real meat of the matter is. With very little exception, the leaders we churn in and out every 2, 4 and 6 years overreach, gridlock ensues, and as you say, nothing changes. But where change DOES potentially happen is on these ballot questions and bond issues. They fire you up with emotional issues such as abortion and gay rights, while they steal the gold right out of your teeth. If I am making it sound like it's wasted time, though, it isn't. Calico is right, you have an obligation to go out there and cast your vote.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:44 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,934,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I voted before work. I'm glad our polls open at 6, rather than 7 like PA. One complaint, I didn't understand the public question, even the interpretive statement. I had to call a friend yesterday who interpreted it for me in simple English. Most times I do get the interpretive statement, and have to wonder if they wanted voters to be confused about this one!
I felt the same way about the question. Just didn't get it. Researched on it for days, in the end I skipped it. Couldn't vote yes or no since I really didn't understand what either would mean.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
I voted early this morning hereby giving me the right to complain in good conscious.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 PM

85 posts, read 178,111 times
I was more than happy to vote against anything with a D today to register my extreme displeasure with the creep in the White House. Not as happy to vote for those with a R. We simply need one or two more political parties. The system is rigged.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
I voted, I always vote. Then in 6 months I want to vote the same bums out.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
The ballot question was about not letting gov't borrow from pension funds, paid family leave funds and workers comp funds.

If you voted "yes": you voted for it to NOT be allowed.

If you voted "no": you voted for it to BE allowed.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
The ballot question was about not letting gov't borrow from pension funds, paid family leave funds and workers comp funds.

If you voted "yes": you voted for it to NOT be allowed.

If you voted "no": you voted for it to BE allowed.
I'm having a hard time figuring out why people had a difficult time understanding the question

To me a very important question....we needed an amendment to keep the grubby politicians hands out of funds like UI Disability, pensions...that's why they are all underfunded as they became slush funds for the politicians

Thank goodness it passed

Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out why people had a difficult time understanding the question

To me a very important question....we needed an amendment to keep the grubby politicians hands out of funds like UI Disability, pensions...that's why they are all underfunded as they became slush funds for the politicians

Thank goodness it passed
I had to google the question - it was not written well & everyone I've spoken to voted no because they didn't know that yes meant no.

Vote Yes on Constitutional Amendment to Protect Your Unemployment Insurance Tax Dollars

Ballot Question Analysis (http://www.lwvnj.org/ballot_2010_q.shtml - broken link)

Reasons one might vote YES
# Passage will require that worker benefit funds be used for the purpose for which they are collected.
# Some of these worker benefit funds are currently in poor financial shape, in part because of the diversion of money collected for them. Passage would help avoid this problem in the future.

Reasons one might vote NO
# Passage will limit the ability of the Legislature to make decisions based on the State’s financial needs at any given time.
# This ballot measure does not address whether the amounts currently collected for these programs are sufficient to support the programs into the future, or whether the programs themselves should be reformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey