U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 PM

19 posts, read 47,912 times

Advertisements

My family lives in NJ, and I dont get me wrong I love NJ. But I want something new so I am considering working in Philly. With the field of work that I am in right now, well there arent many positions in NJ because the job market is saturated for my field here in Jersey. I did however find a position in Jersey City (which wouldnt be too bad of a commute for me 30minutes or so) at a small company that isnt too well known.

I know that if I do decide to move to Philly that I can get a job with a well known company, but the pay difference would be by $10,000 (which isnt too much of a difference based on my field of work).

Remaining in NJ will be comfortable and convenient but I feel like staying will be good for the time being and not for the long term. My parent think that if I stay in NJ then the "right" position will finally come to me. But based on the economy that might not happen any time soon. So my question is, should I lstay in NJ for the familiarity and because my family is here, or should I just go out into unchartered waters and rough it a bit by moving to Philly where I do not know anyone.

fyi - I am a recent college graduate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 PM

4,217 posts, read 10,062,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tmarund View Post
My family lives in NJ, and I dont get me wrong I love NJ. But I want something new so I am considering working in Philly. With the field of work that I am in right now, well there arent many positions in NJ because the job market is saturated for my field here in Jersey. I did however find a position in Jersey City (which wouldnt be too bad of a commute for me 30minutes or so) at a small company that isnt too well known.

I know that if I do decide to move to Philly that I can get a job with a well known company, but the pay difference would be by $10,000 (which isnt too much of a difference based on my field of work).

Remaining in NJ will be comfortable and convenient but I feel like staying will be good for the time being and not for the long term. My parent think that if I stay in NJ then the "right" position will finally come to me. But based on the economy that might not happen any time soon. So my question is, should I lstay in NJ for the familiarity and because my family is here, or should I just go out into unchartered waters and rough it a bit by moving to Philly where I do not know anyone.

Have you found work outside of NJ?

If I was you, I would the take the job and work there for a year, see how you feel, and then look out of state. Especially if you are only looking to head towards philly.

You really do not need to make a long term move until you are ready to get married and buy a house. If you are renting, it is all flexible.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:45 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,683,221 times
You know you can still live in NJ and commute to Philly. I know many, many people who do so.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 AM

331 posts, read 591,768 times
Since you're a recent grad, I'd say to go to the job that has the best resume weight and job growth. If you're going to be doing BS work, it's not going to help in the long run.

That said, Philly isn't really that different from NJ, and you could still live in NJ and commute to Philly for work. If you did want to go to PA, you could live North of Philly (closer to Trenton) and still have an EASY commute to Northern Jersey. I'm not sure where you are exactly, but either choice should be fine. You most likely will not miss your family that much only being an hour or so away.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 AM

23,805 posts, read 31,644,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tmarund View Post

Apparently, you consider living in South Jersey & working in Philly to be leaving NJ. You probably should take the Jersey City job. I doubt that you'd be happy in that foreign territory.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:13 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,320,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Have you found work outside of NJ?

If I was you, I would the take the job and work there for a year, see how you feel, and then look out of state. Especially if you are only looking to head towards philly.

You really do not need to make a long term move until you are ready to get married and buy a house. If you are renting, it is all flexible.
yes ,if you have found the job , you can go out ...

Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 AM

5,440 posts, read 16,031,533 times
10,000 more or 10,000 less for the job in philly....it sounds like less?

you say 10,000 is not much... so you must be making a lot of money? I don't know too many people for whom 10k is not much.

this aside, you are young - move now. you can always come home to your family. once you get stuck here it is hard to get out.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:40 AM

12,285 posts, read 34,055,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
10,000 more or 10,000 less for the job in philly....it sounds like less?

you say 10,000 is not much... so you must be making a lot of money? I don't know too many people for whom 10k is not much.

this aside, you are young - move now. you can always come home to your family. once you get stuck here it is hard to get out.
i was thinking the same thing. even at 100K that's 10% (and over $800/mo). That HAS be some major coin, especially for a recent college grad!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:55 AM

2,771 posts, read 5,968,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i was thinking the same thing. even at 100K that's 10% (and over $800/mo). That HAS be some major coin, especially for a recent college grad!!!
90K in Philly metro will go further than 100k in N.Jersey. Housing and auto insurance are about 30% cheaper in Philly metro, and that $800 difference is before tax -- the gap substantially closes after tax.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 PM

908 posts, read 1,708,408 times
Spread your wings, head to Philly its a great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>