Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 PM

469 posts, read 1,639,873 times

Advertisements

What are some really great pizzerias, as well as seafood restaurants, that are in northern Bergen and Passaic counties as well as Morris County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:09 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
My pizza favorites. Mostly of the thin crust variety:

Kinchley's - Mahwah (thin crust)
Nellie's Place - Waldwick (thin crust. Owner took Kinchley's recipe here)
Brother's Pizza - Midland Pk.
Mario's - Clifton (home-made sauce)
Pizza Town - Elmwood Park (open late, NY style)
Reservoir Tavern - Boonton

Know nothing about the seafood

Old 06-04-2011, 06:45 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
My pizza favorites. Mostly of the thin crust variety:

Kinchley's - Mahwah (thin crust)
Nellie's Place - Waldwick (thin crust. Owner took Kinchley's recipe here)
Brother's Pizza - Midland Pk.
Mario's - Clifton (home-made sauce)
Pizza Town - Elmwood Park (open late, NY style)
Reservoir Tavern - Boonton

Know nothing about the seafood

Good choices for the most part. Kinchely's and Nellie's both make great bar pizzas. My favorite existing traditional pizza in Bergen County is from Turvino's in Glen Rock. But the best pizza ever was from a now defunct mini-chain in the area called Brick's. They had locations in Glen Rock, Wyckoff, Montclair, Tenafly, and maybe one or two other places. Their pizza was epic. Sadly, after about a decade of churning out Bergen County's best pizza, the locations were closed and/or sold. I'll never figure out why.

As for seafood, Seafood Gourmet in Maywood has a good (but tiny) restaurant in their store. Legal Seafoods at the Garden State Plaza is very good. People rave about Varka in Ramsey and Oceanos in Fair Lawn. I went to Varka once, and it didn't wow me. Prices were crazy and portions were small, but the food was good. Taverna Mykonos in Elmwood Park (just a whisper past the Fair Lawn border on Rt. 4 East) seems to be a slightly lowerbrow and lower priced version of Oceanos. Haven't been there yet, but I hope to get there soon. Prices and quality seem good from what I've read.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Pretty comprehensive pizza list that covers more of NJ

The Best Pizza In New Jersey-25 Top Restaurants-www.njmonthly.com

And for a huge slice there's always the Sawmill in Seaside Hts. boardwalk and Benny Tudino's in Hoboken.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:02 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
But the best pizza ever was from a now defunct mini-chain in the area called Brick's.
Seconded. This was far and away the best normal (i.e. pizza you get from a normal pizza place, not at some restaurant using high value ingredients and unrealistic amounts of labor for a substantially higher price) pizza I have ever had, and it is a darned shame that they closed down.

The only place I know of now that is nearly as good is in Englewood (blanking the name, haven't been there in a while), but, they're a bit on the pricy side and are more of a pie-and-family-sized-salad split among several people kind of place, not really somewhere to drop in for a slice.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,506 times
I'm in the same boat -- need to remove underground oil tank - want to convert to gas - have ProGuard as my
"insurance" carrier -- what is my first step -- 1) get sample tested right? But doesn't it have to be someone approved by Proguard? Any suggestions?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindlori View Post
I'm in the same boat -- need to remove underground oil tank - want to convert to gas - have ProGuard as my
"insurance" carrier -- what is my first step -- 1) get sample tested right? But doesn't it have to be someone approved by Proguard? Any suggestions?

You'll do better if you start a new topic -- this will be lost within a post for pizza/seafood places (by the way best thin crust pizza is Kinchley's in Ramsey).

But yes, Proguard should be able to give you a list of approved contractors.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Kinchley's in Ramsey is a great as others have said. But if you want the ultimate Pizza (thin sliced) you will have to go to Soho: John's of Bleecker Street: Home.

But if you can't make into NYC, Kinchley's is great, but John's Pizza in NYC is simply the best Pizza I ever had. It will amaze you!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:07 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
For thin crust in a bar setting style pizza, can't beat Kinchley's in Ramsey or Nellie's Place in Waldwick. Brooklyn's Brick Oven Pizza in Hackensack is also quite good.

For your corner slice style, I'm a big fan of Master Pizza in Bogota and Foschini's in Lyndhurst. Pizza Gallery in Edgewater is also great and the slices are the size of a baby. All three also have awesome garlic knots. Master Pizza does them flat-bow tie style, which I'd never seen before til I got them here. Love it.

I'm so glad I have pizza on the way right now. My beer is lonely and needs a tasty friend.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Kinchley's in Ramsey is a great as others have said. But if you want the ultimate Pizza (thin sliced) you will have to go to Soho: John's of Bleecker Street: Home.

But if you can't make into NYC, Kinchley's is great, but John's Pizza in NYC is simply the best Pizza I ever had. It will amaze you!
two different styles. I know John's very well and a bit of a pizza snob having grown up in Brooklyn. If anything in the area Arturo's > John's. And technically John's is a spinoff from the Patsy's crew, so it's not even top tier. Kinchley's uses the traditional NJ style pizza bar crust. More like a cracker type crust with a strong pecorino finish. Which is why you always leave Kinchley's with so much thirst. If you're going to use a NYC top tier pizzeria than you have to go big like Mario's on Arthur Ave. or Pepe's in Yonkers or Tottonos in Coney Island. Grimaldi's and Patsys are a great standard. Lombardi's is sauce heavy but a cool joint. Up around Kinchley's in New City, there is a great pizzeria called Agnello's also from the Patsy's/John/Grimaldi clan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey