Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:07 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Agree that the tipping is getting out of hand. I went to the place in Manahawkin where I usually get my oil changed and sat in the waiting room until my car was done. When they called my name I walked to the counter and handed over my credit card for $65 (my car takes synthetic oil... blah) and the cashier said "and how much would you like to leave for a tip?"

HUH? I just paid you for the oil change! Why do you need MORE money just for doing your job? You didn't do me any favors, you simply performed the task I paid for. Anyway, I asked what was customary and she said $5. I gave $1 and will not be going to that place to get my oil changed ever again.
ARE YOU KIDDING????? I've never encountered this one and honestly I think this is the strangest place to be suggested to tip.... This one wins a prize!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 02:24 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
My daughter saved up change for a little while here and we went to cash it in at the Regis/Kelly bank because they have the counting machine.

They now charge a fee of 6% to you if you don't have an account with them.

I think this is ridiculous, especially with a kid. Didn't the banks get enough bailout money that they don't have to go after 6% of what a kid saves up to cash in?

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I think they make plenty that they don't have to do this.

Thoughts?
Just a thought. . . If I want to get rid of change, I find one of those check yourself out lines & feed a couple of dollars worth of change in.

Say, when your kid gets $5 worth of change, you take it, in exchange for paper money & disperse it yourself. It doesn't solve the money grubbing problem with the bank, but does skirt around it.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:15 PM

Not a bad idea, southbound. At least it doesn't take away from her saving up her money. Pain in the butt for me, but better for her.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Not a bad idea, southbound. At least it doesn't take away from her saving up her money. Pain in the butt for me, but better for her.

Thanks!
You're welcome. You could do it in 2 or 3 dollar increments, if that's easier for you. I've been known to dump $5 worth of change into check yourself out machines at Lowes, Home Depot, or a supermarket.

Tell her you're going to do her a favor & save her the money. Gets you points. She learned her real world lesson.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Back in the DAAZE, before EZ Pass anyway, I used to get rid of pennies in the Parkway toll booths. The machines used to, still do I guess, count pennies at the toll booths.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:28 AM

Do you remember the signs that said "no pennies"??

Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

228 posts, read 1,205,066 times
Not surprising. I tried to get rolls of quarters from a local bank that I didn't have an account at and they refused since I wasn't a customer. I thought they were kidding at first and as I turned to leave I said I was glad I didn't have an account there.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 PM

They've gotten ridiculous. You are only asking to exchange money for money....

Old 11-07-2010, 04:59 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
It does stink that TD is doing this. I'm not a big fan of the bank, but I did open an account for my daughter there when it was Commerce specifically because we do count her change there. I make her put 1/4 of her money into savings so it's just easier to do it while we're there. She gets to use 1/2 for herself and 1/4 goes to charity.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
It does stink that TD is doing this. I'm not a big fan of the bank, but I did open an account for my daughter there when it was Commerce specifically because we do count her change there. I make her put 1/4 of her money into savings so it's just easier to do it while we're there. She gets to use 1/2 for herself and 1/4 goes to charity.
great idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey