Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,862 times

Advertisements

You still have not answerd my question Elflord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
What part of "the actual crime rates by zip code" do you find confusing ?
I find everything about you confusing buddy.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
You still have not answerd my question Elflord.
Your claim was that downtown Jersey City's crime is substantially higher than Hoboken. This doesn't seem quite right because they are qualitatively quite similar -- they are mixed income neighborhoods, with comparable property values. Both are home to some people who pull in a pretty respectable paycheck. Both of them are Abbot districts. Both of them have pockets of crime associated with some mix of projects and commercial areas. Both of them seem to have comparable size and comparable numbers of homicides (about one every couple of years)

So the claim that they are fundamentally different seemed suspect, especially since your posts had all the markers of someone who is making things up and/or bluffing -- in particular, an insistence that "the statistics" support you coupled with a reluctance to post these statistics. When you did get around to posting the numbers that supposedly supported your case, the numbers posted were not crime rates, and did not appear to be correlated with the crime rates.

So how precisely are you posting nonsense ? You are posting claims that are completely unsubstantiated or in some cases (e.g. when you make claims about crime rates) outright false.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Your claim was that downtown Jersey City's crime is substantially higher than Hoboken. This doesn't seem quite right because they are qualitatively quite similar -- they are mixed income neighborhoods, with comparable property values. Both are home to some people who pull in a pretty respectable paycheck. Both of them are Abbot districts. Both of them have pockets of crime associated with some mix of projects and commercial areas. Both of them seem to have comparable size and comparable numbers of homicides (about one every couple of years)

So the claim that they are fundamentally different seemed suspect, especially since your posts had all the markers of someone who is making things up and/or bluffing -- in particular, an insistence that "the statistics" support you coupled with a reluctance to post these statistics. When you did get around to posting the numbers that supposedly supported your case, the numbers posted were not crime rates, and did not appear to be correlated with the crime rates.

So how precisely are you posting nonsense ? You are posting claims that are completely unsubstantiated or in some cases (e.g. when you make claims about crime rates) outright false.
Alot of hot air Elflord1973. Do me a favor , you seem like your good with the internet, go find the actual stats that meet your requirments and post them for me. It will save a lot of typing and prove my point.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Alot of hot air Elflord1973. Do me a favor , you seem like your good with the internet, go find the actual stats that meet your requirments and post them for me. It will save a lot of typing and prove my point.
As I already posted (do you read anything I post?), I am not aware of any examples of crime rates by zip code. To begin to get an estimate on this would require some original research (e.g. going through online crime maps carefully or similar), and quite frankly it's just not worth my time.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
As I already posted (do you read anything I post?), I am not aware of any examples of crime rates by zip code. To begin to get an estimate on this would require some original research (e.g. going through online crime maps carefully or similar), and quite frankly it's just not worth my time.
I am very aware of what you said , and once again don't be a wise a**. I'm asking you to SEARCH for data that you find relavent. And not that spot crime website, which is also NOT reliable. Then and all the you will see the crime rate is higher downtown and you can get back to whatever it is an elflord does.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 AM

12 posts, read 28,823 times
Default New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Whats that supposed to mean , normal ppl? Can you go a day without picking on the people in Urban Jersey , just because u hate it doesn't mean you need to post nasty and stupid comments about it..... Most do have Cars , but there storage cars.....
anyway to be honest , after a while NYC gets boring.....ive been to all 5 Boroughs at least 16x......at first your amazed at the size , glitz and glamor of NYC , but then as time goes on you see the real NYC. Also are you moving here because of Job relocation or college?
I think you should read the post over again before you make accusations....It says NORMAL PARTS OF NJ! Not normal people! Geesh

Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
First. When you say 2 small dogs, you mean lap dog size? If they are bigger than lap dog size...probably best to leave behind...tight quarters in NY and some of the NJ towns mentioned is not really humane for dogs. Plus you will be spending a lot of time outside apt working or commuting...less time will be spent with your pets.

Second. Having 2 dogs will eliminate lot of apartment choices for you and the few animal friendly buildings do sometimes charge extra fee.

Third. At $1100/month some of the areas that meet you criteria other posters mentioned (ie: Hoboken and Jersey city - nice part of JC) will be very tough to do unless you get a roommate.

Fourth. Consider Queens, Bronx, and Brooklyn in NY. They have more affordable housing and more starter friendly in my opinion. Path is only 24/7 service that runs between NYC and NJ while MTA subway is 24/7 throughout NYC boroughs (minus Staten Island).

Fifth. While NYC is one of the 'best' place to do what you do for your profession. Please remember that it is also one of the most competitive out there as well. 'Best' draws a lot of people and that means competition.

The Path isn't the only 24/7 service, the jitney vans or dollar buses, what ever you want to call them, run 24/7 throughout most of the North Hudson area(Union City, Weehawken, West New York, North Bergen, and Guttenberg). Some NJ Transit lines run pretty late on weekends also, they are not 24hrs but they run past 2 am. The Jitney vans run more often than the Path trains at night and they also are quicker depending on where you live.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:05 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I agree with this. There's a 10-15 mile urban bubble around NYC. Aside from that New Jersey is primarily suburban and in the western part of the state (save Trenton and Camden) rural. For people who live in 95% of towns in New Jersey, a car is an absolute necessity just like any other suburban area.

You can exist without a car in urban New Jersey, but in my opinion it's just a hassle living in those places. It's either ghetto or extremely expensive, and people in NYC will still make fun of you for being a "bridge and tunnel" person. The nice, safe urban areas of New Jersey (and NYC) are simply unaffordable for the average person, while the "affordable" areas are crime-ridden. People talk about the "revitalization" of Jersey City all the time, and that's great, but I wouldn't want to live in a 2-block "nice" radius surrounded by crime everywhere else. That would be miserable to me. And unfortunately that's the reality in JC and a lot of these other places. Harrison, Union City, all these places are old and run down. I don't get why anyone would really want to live there. That's the harsh reality as I see it. There are a lot of people on this forum who have this obsessed affinity for these old cities, but the unvarnished truth is that they're full of crime, drugs and welfare cases - and if you don't want to pay $2000 in rent to live in Hoboken or be 30 years old and still living with roomies, forget it.

Not all of Union City is bad or run down. The parts of UC that are near me are decent neighborhoods. I agree that some parts are run down and bad, but just not all of it. Most of the apt in NYC that the op can get into with that budget will be run down and bad, probably more dangerous and more run down than the worse places in UC.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
What have the last 2 pages of argument to do with the OP's original issue? NOTHING, Zip, Nada.

Perhaps the posters who are arguing the merits of JC vs Newark vs Harrison should start their own thread: Which is better? to live in urban or suburban NJ - debate your hearts out.

OP, as said earlier, if your dream is to move to NYC, then do it. While only Manhattan is called "the city" by NYC folks, the outerboroughs will give you access to Manhattan much better (24/7) than any place in NJ.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey