Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 11:36 PM

31 posts, read 101,454 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I am back and looking fo info about Franklin, please....My family and I checked out some places around the Mabie/Rutherford St (Ave?) area....and the places seemed nice, but after a looooooooooooong day of riding around Sussex county(Franklin, Hopatcong, Andover, etc) and not knowing the areas well, I need help sorting things out. I plan to go back next week, Lord willing, but for now, my questions are:

1) How are the neighborhoods in Franklin? The houses we saw were really nice and then, in the same area, there were pockets where the houses were not nice at all:eek--maybe we confused the area? Is it a pretty quiet place?

2) Is route 23 the only way in/out of Franklin? Can you get there right off 287 or 80? If not, will I be crying/sighing while I commute to Morris county?

3) Are there any hospitals, urgent care, etc in in town? If not how far away?

4)Are there any areas of Franklin that are more suburban than the above-mentioned streets? Any other towns you suggest? I am looking to spend under 300k (stop laughing--we have seen some nice places for that price)

thanks a mil---will keep you posted on the house hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurie12 View Post
Hi there!

I am back and looking fo info about Franklin, please....My family and I checked out some places around the Mabie/Rutherford St (Ave?) area....and the places seemed nice, but after a looooooooooooong day of riding around Sussex county(Franklin, Hopatcong, Andover, etc) and not knowing the areas well, I need help sorting things out. I plan to go back next week, Lord willing, but for now, my questions are:

1) How are the neighborhoods in Franklin? The houses we saw were really nice and then, in the same area, there were pockets where the houses were not nice at all:eek--maybe we confused the area? Is it a pretty quiet place?

2) Is route 23 the only way in/out of Franklin? Can you get there right off 287 or 80? If not, will I be crying/sighing while I commute to Morris county?

3) Are there any hospitals, urgent care, etc in in town? If not how far away?

4)Are there any areas of Franklin that are more suburban than the above-mentioned streets? Any other towns you suggest? I am looking to spend under 300k (stop laughing--we have seen some nice places for that price)

thanks a mil---will keep you posted on the house hunting!
1. I've only been up here a couple of years, but I assume you mean not so small, and close together when you say "nice". Franklin has a lot of tiny houses. There are a lot of areas with larger more spaced out houses in Franklin. Scott Rd. Maple Rd, Buckwheat Rd, Cork Hill Rd, Wildcat Rd.

2. Heading down to Morris, you can take 23, or take 517 down to route 15, and that to 80. To get to 287 you have to take 23 south, or go down to 80 to 287. Depending on how early you leave in the AM will make a huge difference. Traffic is a way of life up here.

3. No hospitals or urgent care in town. Sussex has a hospital, and so does Newton. Vernon has an urgent care place.

4. You honestly would be better off with a realtor to show you what you are looking for.

~Chuck

Old 07-11-2007, 08:27 AM

Talking Franklin in Sussex....

Hi Chuck!

Thanks so much for the info!!!! I am working with a great realtor---sometimes, these little tidbits are good to get from the local residents.
I may be back for more info!

Maurie

Old 07-11-2007, 03:01 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,960 times
Default Franklin, NJ

Why Franklin???? There are nicer places, did you drive down Main St. yuck not very inviting.......did you drive in off Rt. 23 across from the old bowling alley near what they call the pond.....Franklin is a very old town, used to be that cousins married cousins, no lie. Plus the traffic is horrible. The commute
to Morris Cty is not the greatest, but as the other poster said it can be done.

There are much nicer houses in Vernon......go North on Rt. 23 turn right at the light in Hamburg, continue to 517 and you will see developements. I lived in Vernon most of my life, great town to raise kids, good schools although I heard Vernon HS has its problems. Vernon has been able to keep out most of the commercial places, only Burger King got in........there's a A & P there
small stores, pizza places, churches.........there's some nice developements on Rt. 565 closer to Sussex, check it out.......I'm sure that you can find something in your dollar bracket........but watch out for the taxes, they can be high......daughter pays nearly $7,000 for 3/2/2.........ask your realtor
to show you the area, I loved it.......quiet and peaceful. If I had my choice I'd take Vernon over Franklin in a heartbeat.

Good Luck on your search

Old 07-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Thanks Songbird...I was a little leery about that area. I was going to go back next week and re-check it just to make sure I was giving it a proper chance. The house was nice, but the surrounding area was a little hard on the eyes.

I am relocating from CT, so I am still getting to know my way around. I have spent 1 month "touring" in Sussex county with my relator, but am starting to sort the towns.

I will be working in Parsippany, so what is the traffic like coming from Sussex, Vernon, Newton, etc? I plan to be in the office about 9:30 or so and leave about 6pm.

Thanks!

Maurie

Old 07-12-2007, 05:56 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,960 times
My daugher lives in Vernon and commutes to Livingston......she uses 287 and sometimes it takes her an hour, or sometimes with a accident or whatever, can take her hour and half.......the backup on Rt. 23 on Friday nights can really be a pain, going into the S turms before the exit to Greenwood Lake things can back up........the winters are rough, especiallly commuting on 23,
but you can go through Sparta and down Rt. 15 I think to get to Parsippany.
Those roads I believe would be better cleared.

If you want more of a country feel, go towards Lafayette/Branchville, nice country out there, more room closer to Rt. 15.........I'm sure that your realtor can show you some of the area's I've mentioned. Give Vernon a look,
I'm very partial to the town, I grew up there as well as had my family there and for raising children can't be beat.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find something in the area that you'll like.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:32 AM

13 posts, read 52,893 times
Have you looked at Sparta? Closer to Morris County and much nicer than Franklin. However housing is much more expensive.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:11 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,543 times
Default Franklin or ???

I just wondered if anyone knew where Maury ended up moving to?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Hey Marythere are so many other areas that you can be looking in for that under 300K that are so much better than Franklin - especially if you only need to commute to Morris Co. Try Mansfield, Hackettstown, Allumuchy, Blairstown, Hope, Frelinghuysen - all in warren Co. bordering Morris Co. and only be like 10 mins at most from Rt. 80, Rt. 46, Rt. 206, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey