Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:41 PM

58 posts, read 229,876 times

Advertisements

I posted a question about Maplewood and got some mixed responses.

The other area we've been considering is West Orange.

How bad is that commute? They have jitneys to the train and a bus line that goes into Manhattan, right?

Anyone out there do that commute?

Any thoughts about West Orange, good or bad?

Areas in West Orange to avoid?

Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 01:47 PM

202 posts, read 992,997 times
Whome, I don't know much about West Orange, but you might find Roselle Park reasonable and in your price range. That town has a train that goes to Newark Penn Station, where you'd have to transfer to get to NY Penn Station. I believe there is also a bus line that goes to Port Authority, but I'm not sure about that.

There's also the Woodbridge area a bit further south that BobKovacs might be able to tell you about that might have decent houses in your price range and a train to NYC.

To be honest, $350k is not going to get you much in Northern NJ, possibly not even a decent townhouse. Good luck with your search, though...

Old 04-02-2007, 01:48 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
There is one bad section to West Orange down around Main St, Park Ave, and High Street, but the rest of the town is really nice.

I disagree about the no good town with 350k remark. Look into a place like Totowa, very nice Italian/Irish town with a very good public school system. Same goes for Little Falls. I see some houses on Trulia.com that are within your range. 3br/1 bath.

Clifton, NJ is also really nice, the schools aren't as good as in Totowa, Little Falls, and West Paterson though. Clifton does have lots of cheap housing though.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else know anything about West Orange?

How about the commute?

Old 04-03-2007, 10:27 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
West Orange is a mixed bag. On one hand you have Llewelyn Park, which is exclusive $million+ mansions, and then you have single and multi-family houses stacked on top of each other a few blocks away. Many of those homes have no off-street parking, so you can end up parking blocks from your house at night.

If you want the easiest commute to NYC, stay on the NE Corridor line, as has already been said. If you're interested in Woodbridge, I just put my house on the market, so let me know

Bob

Old 04-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Thanks.

How is the commute from West Orange, though? How easy is it to get/park at a train station? How long does the bus really take? Any info about the commute from West Orange would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 11,417 times
Default transport/ commute

i used to live in west orange & the commute isn't bad. you can take nj transit at either the orange or highland street station. this will take you into new york penn/ via newark or even hoboken (where you can take the path downtoen). you also have buses that take you to mid town. or buses that take you to newark penn station also to get the path. the midtown direct from orange station is about 23 mins (30mins in real time). you will be on the essex line - go to njtransit.com & check. it's not bad at all.

as for area - i agree witht he fellow about the main street/ high street issue. but realistically for about #350k you'll probably get something down that area or something very small else where in west orange.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:49 AM

162 posts, read 849,552 times
Default forum

Most of West Orange is nice (except as Mead posted). My brother lives there - near Livingston boarder.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:07 PM

46 posts, read 166,627 times
Default Easy Commute to NYC

I live in the Grgeory section & take the Jitney (Free) to the SO Train Station....the 8:20 train is direct ot Penn and gets me in the office by 9:10...There are earlier options available.

My neighbors swear by the buses on Northfield.....I have not used them, but they do come very frequently.

I believe one of the main reasons that prices are a bit better is WO is that there isn't a train stop in the town...but if you move to some specific locations you can be just as close.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melland View Post
I live in the Grgeory section & take the Jitney (Free) to the SO Train Station....the 8:20 train is direct ot Penn and gets me in the office by 9:10...There are earlier options available.

My neighbors swear by the buses on Northfield.....I have not used them, but they do come very frequently.

I believe one of the main reasons that prices are a bit better is WO is that there isn't a train stop in the town...but if you move to some specific locations you can be just as close.
Buses on Northfield aren't bad at all. While they can get rather crowded (to the point where you may even have to wait for the next bus) - they come frequently, which is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey