U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:41 AM

114 posts, read 178,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Thanks everyone for the bumps! But please get back to the subject of a Vietnam Veterans Day in New Jersey.

There's a great song (non-political) dedicated to Vietnam Vets at the below link.
WELCOME HOME

Eric Horner donated all profits from this song to veterans charities. Both Eric and Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" sing on the song.

There is also a nice poem dedicated to Vienam Veterans at: DEAR VIETNAM VETERAN, LOVE AMERICA The poem is in the form of a letter addressed to Vietnam Veterans written by America.

All it takes is one small group of appreciated New Jersey citizens to start the process (Vietnam Veterans Day) through their town's politicians to get the ball rolling. It could then be pushed through their county politicians and then onto the state level.
Thanks!
Jack
Yea I believe we def. should I had a college professor who was a real nice guy talk a little bit about the world he said what hurt him most was the lack of support him and his Comrade's received for being over there and he still til this day remembers the pain that he felt from his fellow americans from so yea i'll def. say we need to show some appreciation. VETERAN DAY is so over looked just like every other national holiday so we need to give some creditability back to at least this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 01:28 PM

3,297 posts, read 5,720,527 times
"Yea I believe we def. should."

Thank you!

Old 07-28-2007, 04:21 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,599,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
and a minster's wife in TN shot him point blank in the back, and escaped with their 3 children...so what?

do you tell your son his state sucks?
He's leaving as soon as he gets married. I'm not helping him buy a house in a state that the following year the taxes will double.Also, he can get much more for the money. My closet is bigger than some bedrooms in NJ. iT'S 10X12.
As far as that Minister, he was from a nondenonminatal church which I don't reconize. In those chuches they don't need the education to be a minister.
It's happened in NJ also, check your papers.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:31 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,599,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyM'Fers View Post
Excuse you your sounding a little ignorant right now don't judge a book by it cover meaning don't believe eveything you read in the news or in your case a forum. A forum is opinion based and for you to come up with a ludicrous and uneducated statement as you've just done is unfair. Now I don't live in tennessee and have never been down there and because of my lack of knowledge pertaining to it I would never say anything demeaning or insulting about your beloved state. (Not sure where you're located) but How would you feel if someone said something similiar to what you just wrote about your state I don't think you'd appreciate it to much. I'd say in the future don't believe everything you see or read especially on the internet.
I lived in NJ for 13 years,and just moved last year, so i'm not ignorant of how things are run there. Even NJ 101.5 makes jokes about the state.
The statement I made is true, because I know how I was treated there. I never felt that I fit in, and I was from Lawrence, LI , ny to begin with which isn't exactly a slum. Here, I'm accepted, and in 1 year I feel that this is more my home than NJ ever was. I live in a Suburb of Nashville now. My daughters friend from NJ came here with her family and asked why the Subdivisions have grand brick entrances and why most of the houses were all brick or stone? Also, Why did I have a Pond, Clubhouse and pool in a single home community? I think she was just envious., but typical NJ.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:45 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,073,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I lived in NJ for 13 years,and just moved last year, so i'm not ignorant of how things are run there. Even NJ 101.5 makes jokes about the state.
The statement I made is true, because I know how I was treated there. I never felt that I fit in, and I was from Lawrence, LI , ny to begin with which isn't exactly a slum. Here, I'm accepted, and in 1 year I feel that this is more my home than NJ ever was. I live in a Suburb of Nashville now. My daughters friend from NJ came here with her family and asked why the Subdivisions have grand brick entrances and why most of the houses were all brick or stone? Also, Why did I have a Pond, Clubhouse and pool in a single home community? I think she was just envious., but typical NJ.
Did she ask why all your houses all look the same, or why they are all crammed onto 1/4 acre lots on top of each other, or why you have to pay an association fee every month or ask permission to paint your garage a different color? Should I go on? OK then. Did she ask about the total lack of diversity in your town, or ask why one can still smoke in restaurants or wonder why TN is the meth capital of the USA?

Please don't come here and make TN sound like the nirvana we are all missing out on.
I'm sure there are benefits to TN just as there are to NJ. If you are so narrow minded that you can't see that, and just want to come to the NJ boards to bash, don't bother posting - you sound ridiculous and as pointed out above, ignorant.

Last edited by Obrero; 07-28-2007 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: can't spell

Old 07-28-2007, 05:32 PM

2,827 posts, read 5,476,067 times
Quote:
If that's how you feel about TN that's fine but as UKOK pointed out why do you come on a NJ forum to bash?
-You say people in NJ have typical hate but you have a hate for NJ and you want to let all of us know. I mean, what do you really expect us to say?
-ProudCapMarine started this thread because of a good thing TN did for Vietnam vets but you're using that to drag onto how much better TN is than NJ.
You like TN, fine...but how does that make it typical for an NJ person to envy brick or stone homes? Or grand entrances? As if somehow that exists nowhere in this state
-If you want to start a NJ vs. TN thread by all means let's go for it

Old 07-28-2007, 09:17 PM

114 posts, read 178,050 times
Quote:
Well Certain places aren't for everyone and I guess Jersey just didnt give you that home enivornment which I can understand. If I moved Down to nashville i probably wouldn't see it as being home exactly either but it's not a good enough reason for me to talk down upon it. And yea your right 101.5 does talk about NJ However it's more from a political point of view. The #1 issue they always address are the politician the way they seem to be running the state and is the main reason why jersey gets a reputation but hey maybe I should visit Tennesee And maybe just maybe I'll see your point of view and call it home someday

Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Another State Has Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
DO YOU THINK NEW JERSEY SHOULD PROCLAIM MARCH 29th, VIETNAM VETERANS DAY

Tennessee is the first state in the union to proclaim March 29th, Vietnam Veterans Day.

For almost 35 years now, Vietnam Veterans have had an underlying need to hear four little words, Thank You and Welcome Home. On March 29 & 30, 2008, this need will be answered in Crossville, Tennessee.

You can get more details at: 2008 will mark start of annual Vietnam Veterans Day

Saying thank you to Vietnam Veterans is not a political thing. It's all about appreciation.

What do you think?
Hopefully, New Jersey will be soon to follow.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 PM

More details at: 2008 will mark start of annual Vietnam Veterans Day

Governor Pawlenty has agreed to sign into effect a proclamation making March 29th. Vietnam Veterans Day in her state, following the lead of the state of Tennessee. The proclamation should be signed sometime in September.

Two down and 48 to go!

If anyone out in your listening area want to do the same, I can lead them step by step in the process. The more states we get to do this, Washington will have to pay attention to what we are doing and bring us that precious calendar with March 29th on it reserved for Vietnam Veterans Day.

I will send you more as things progress.

Sincerely,
Dann Dunham
Welcome Home / National Vietnam Veterans Day Organizer
dsdunham@citlink.net

Old 08-25-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Update, Georgia and New York are now starting the proclamation trail to make March 29th Vietnam Veterans Day.

Update, Georgia and New York are now starting the proclamation trail to make March 29th Vietnam Veterans Day.

If you would like to help get this started in New Jersey, please contact:
Dann Dunham
Welcome Home / National Vietnam Veterans Day Organizer
dsdunham@citlink.net contact Dann at (931) 788-2919
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or