U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:41 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,366,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
mri I think it depends on the municipality, but it is most likely quarterly. Your mortgage company will "impound" up to 4 months of property taxes on closing, depending on how far away your closing date is from when the next taxes are due. Then, they will possibly build in the property taxes into your mortgage payment.
you can also ask your lender to allow you to pay your property taxes yourself and provide proof each quarter. no escrow needed, and you don't get a shock every year an escrow analysis is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 32,535 times
Thanks Joe. What if I do not have a escrow account and want to pay the taxes myself. Whats the procedure for that?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:05 AM

10 posts, read 32,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
I wonder if someone can explain to me how homes are assessed in NJ. If I were to buy an avg size (3 Bed/1 Bath) home for $275,000, which shows it's taxes are $3,000 on realtor's website...would the taxes jump thru the roof based on the purchase price, or are they assessed in another way?

Wouldn't want to be surprised if the taxes were to double or triple due to the fact the the house was assessed based on the current owner's purchase price, which could possibly be less than half of what they are selling it for if they have been living in it for any length of time!

Thanks!
The tax laws are very fair in NJ. The only way your assessment of your property can increase is either by doing work and obtaining permits or a re-evaluation of the town or area that you live in. If they increased your property based on the sale of your home its called spot assessing. In most cases if the entire town has not had a re-val and the assessments are at 50% of the market value they are getting ready for one. The counties mandate it when they fall below a certain percentage. Hope this helps

Old 07-15-2007, 01:15 AM

10 posts, read 32,367 times
[quote=shigatsu1974;1037705]Where can I find property taxes specific to towns in Hunterdon, Mercer, Somerset? Especially helpful if is information that is easy to understand. [/QUOTE

If you go to this site and click on the county it gives you a list of the tax rates for each individual town. Don't forget the assessment is per 100
State of New Jersey Division of Taxation (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/index.html?lpt/taxrate.htm~mainFrame - broken link)

Old 07-15-2007, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 9,516 times
Yes, I am also trying to find a town in NJ with low propety taxes and a reasonable communte to NYC (downtown area). Any thoughts?

Old 07-15-2007, 10:59 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,306,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace View Post
Yes, I am also trying to find a town in NJ with low propety taxes and a reasonable communte to NYC (downtown area). Any thoughts?
I'm looking for a blonde, mute, nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store and a 40' speed boat. I might have a better chance of finding what I'm searching for than you have of finding what you're looking for....lol.

Bob

Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 AM

120 posts, read 314,167 times
Just a heads up..I am a Brick Resident and properties are going through a re-assessment...the property taxes will go higher...I believe the last assessment was done 7+ years ago.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:03 PM

1,346 posts, read 1,754,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyNJ View Post
Just a heads up..I am a Brick Resident and properties are going through a re-assessment...the property taxes will go higher...I believe the last assessment was done 7+ years ago.
reassessments are not tax increases, a general rule of thumb is that 1/3 get assessed higher, 1/3 get assessed lower and 1/3 stay the same.
When a town reassesses the tax rate is adjusted and in a perfect world a reassessment does not automatically mean higher taxes, its just a reassessment of who pays what

Old 07-15-2007, 12:45 PM

120 posts, read 314,167 times
Yes you are absolutely right..but my guess is mine is going up...last time mine was evaluated the value was about $91,000..Do you know the factors in which they consider for an increase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or