Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 AM

11 posts, read 55,833 times

Advertisements

I've just accepted a position in Princeton that begins in a few weeks and I'm struggling to figure out where to live. I would like to keep my rent under $1300/mo if I'm within walking distance to mass transit, or $1200/mo if not. My other obstacle? My 5lb toy poodle...I need a place that takes pets.

Since it will be impossible for me to live in Princeton, I've been toying with the idea of commuting from the north. I know of a share available in the West 80s in Manhattan (I think that's too far). I've also seen reasonable rentals in Rahway and Linden.

I guess what I like about the Rahway idea is that it's on the NE corridor. That allows me to be fairly close to my NJ family and my friends in the city, while on the Princeton train line. Any thoughts? Is Rahway too far away from any thing good. Will I be frustrated that it takes me a long to get everywhere?

Oh yes. I grew up in Central NJ, but I'm relocating from FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 08:41 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
OMG, not Rahway.

Why are you reluctant to bite the bullet and get a car?

This isn't an easy commute from Manhattan at ALL. You'd be better off in New Jersey.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:34 AM

209 posts, read 1,683,557 times
It wouldn't be a great commute from Manhattan, but if you really want to be in the city I would strongly suggest getting a place pretty close to Penn Station so you can take the NE Corridor train straight to Princeton Junction (and then the 'dinky' shuttle train to Princeton). Assuming you are within walking distance of the Princeton train station this is a potentially viable (if long) commute, since you can at least read or sleep on the train. The West 30s is also a bit cheaper than many areas of Manhattan.

if it's just cost that's an issue, you can likely find something in Plainsboro or the broader Princeton vicinity in your budget (especially if you have a roommate).

Old 07-10-2007, 10:14 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Coming from the 80s in Manhattan would be a 1.5 hour+ commute to Princeton. I'm assuming you've already confirmed that your new job is within walking distance of the Princeton train station?

IMO, Rahway and Linden aren't exactly the ideal places for a young, single woman- maybe in a few years once they're further developed (Rahway is far ahead of Linden on that, btw), but now now. Have you looked around Edison or Metuchen? Your rental amount may have to bump up slightly, but it's possible that you can find a 1BR for $1200, especially if it's a private owner.

Bob

Old 07-10-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Why are you reluctant to bite the bullet and get a car?
Traffic, gas, and insurance.

Reality is setting in, and it looks like I'll have to get a car to expand my housing options.

How is the commute from New Brunswick? Is life around the Rutgers campus enjoyable if my kegger days are behind me?

How about traffic along Rt. 1?

Viralmd
That's exactly what my mother said about Rahway.

Thanks for the help so far.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Route 1 is a nightmare.

You'd be better off living somewhere AROUND Princeton, like Lawrenceville, or Plainsboro than all the way in New Brunswick.

In the long run, your life will be much more tolerable with a car. Worth the expense. It'd be a shame to get a new job only to spend more time than you ever thought tolerable getting to and from work. If I didn't live in Manhattan, believe me, I'd have a car - it's worth it.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I've got prejudices against certain areas from my childhood. 10 years ago I wouldn't even consider living in Rahway, same for Edison (but for different reasons). I need to get over my issues if I want to put a roof over my head in 3 weeks.

Mentally I'll have a hard time going over $1400/mo in rent. My rent wasn't $1400 in Manhattan 2 years ago. Whatever.

I'm going to start looking in Lawrenceville, Plainsboro, and the outskirts of Trenton.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:03 PM

21 posts, read 85,978 times
Totally agree.....
You should look at Lawrenceville, Plainsboro, West windsor and also Franklin Park area.

You could either live on lease with some house-owners or look up for apartments at apartmentratings.com

Goodluck with the upcoming move and apartment search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey