Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,476 times

Advertisements

My son is currently in 3rd grade NJ public schools, and although we're in a fairly decent school district (Seacaucus), he's just not being challenged. So far, he's staying focused in class & getting good grades, and socially he has no problems, but the work is stuff he's known for years and he's bored to tears with it. They don't do any in-class differentiation. He's in a 1-hour-per week gifted pullout program that doesn't do much to resolve the lack of challenge.

We're looking at gifted school options but not seeing much choices... and we're willing to move within the NYC/north Jersey area. Does anyone have recommendations? Some of the pricier private schools would be a challenge, but we could probably make schools in the $6-15K price range work if it will provide a better learning environment for him.

Anyone know anything about SciCore Academy in Hightstown, or Long Island School for the Gifted (yes, I know that's not in NJ...)? Any other schools that do a really good job for highly gifted kids that may be academically one or two grade levels or more ahead of their age peers? Maturity-wise he's very much an average third-grader.

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Just move to Millburn.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:23 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Just move to Millburn.
Or Tenafly, or Ridgewood, or one of the other towns with ridiculously good public school systems.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 81,741 times
I don't know if that is a solution - I know of gifted kids in Millburn who were still not being challenged enough and ended up switching to the Hoboken school! And, I heard that Springfield - not a particularly highly-rated school system - happens to have a GREAT gifted program. So there are other factors at play here...
(Mom of a very gifted but bored 2nd-grader)

Old 12-27-2010, 05:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc-NJ View Post
My son is currently in 3rd grade NJ public schools, and although we're in a fairly decent school district (Seacaucus), he's just not being challenged. So far, he's staying focused in class & getting good grades, and socially he has no problems, but the work is stuff he's known for years and he's bored to tears with it. They don't do any in-class differentiation. He's in a 1-hour-per week gifted pullout program that doesn't do much to resolve the lack of challenge.

We're looking at gifted school options but not seeing much choices... and we're willing to move within the NYC/north Jersey area. Does anyone have recommendations? Some of the pricier private schools would be a challenge, but we could probably make schools in the $6-15K price range work if it will provide a better learning environment for him.

Anyone know anything about SciCore Academy in Hightstown, or Long Island School for the Gifted (yes, I know that's not in NJ...)? Any other schools that do a really good job for highly gifted kids that may be academically one or two grade levels or more ahead of their age peers? Maturity-wise he's very much an average third-grader.

J
I don't know about those schools but I will tell you that finding the appropriate education for gifted kids is tough. We were told by our school if our child had been challenged there would be plenty ofservices available than for those who excel not so much. It is basically up to us to supplement his education.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 9,384 times
My son studies in Scicore academy. They have an open house this coming Feb. 26 at 10 am. My son is in Kindergarten and they have a pretty good curriculum. They have History (he was taught all the states via a song, and they're now getting through each of the American presidents), Science (they do experiments, they talk about the planets, they have a Science fair coming up), they are differentiated in Math depending on how advanced they are (most of the kids are now multiplying, and because my son was still ahead, he uses a different text book and is doing decimals and fractions), they have karate and chess, music, art, penmanship (print and cursive), reading, english. I am fairly satisfied with the school. They have a small class size (16 students) and have an assistant teacher, so they can really differentiate and focus. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than what I have heard in public school. It's a very friendly atmosphere. They are in a temporary location, though (old building had mold problems so they were forced to move out into a church)...but you just have to see past that. If you want to get in touch with me, feel free to email me at marla_g_2000@yahoo.com.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM

84 posts, read 296,843 times
I would consider East Brunswick school district. I went through the district; if you are in AP classes, honors classes, like i was.. it is very challenging. I was beyond prepared for both college and graduate school.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM

467 posts, read 1,522,365 times
High School is easier in most affluent NJ districts - you can just put your kid into Honors/AP and they will be quite challenged, both by the level and the volume of work.

Middle School is ok - they will move the GT kids ahead a year in math and science, which normally challenges them. Grade School, however, is just boring for smart kids. Try to find somewhere that features lots of independent work. That's your best bet.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looktowindward View Post
High School is easier in most affluent NJ districts - you can just put your kid into Honors/AP and they will be quite challenged, both by the level and the volume of work.

Middle School is ok - they will move the GT kids ahead a year in math and science, which normally challenges them. Grade School, however, is just boring for smart kids. Try to find somewhere that features lots of independent work. That's your best bet.
I would also encourage you to focus on your child's social development in the early years, especially grade school. This is the area that causes the most challenges for gifted children down the road. Team sports, clubs( boy scouts, girls scouts, brownies) or other team activities are a great start. While introducing an instrument is good it really does not encourage social developmental or social interaction with others. This is just my opinion but it seems parents get so caught up in the mental game that they lose sight of the equally important physical and social game.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
There is a Gifted Child Society in Glen Rock. They offer enrichment classes on the weekends, summer camps etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey